My Dolls

My Dolls
Click the picture to see my dolls. Contact me at: thesavagedollblog@gmail.com

Saturday, January 16, 2016

8" Betsy McCall Doll


I have been wanting a Betsy McCall doll for awhile now and I saw this Betsy on eBay.  She came with one shoe and underclothes.  She had a bit of cracking on her left knee and her hair was obviously a mess, but I felt she was a good deal.

Well!  She arrived today and don't you know I couldn't wait to get to work on her.

Here she is right out of the box.

 I put her undies and the one shoe in a mild soap soak.

 Her face is very faded.

 She had one hair clip.

 Her limbs are loose, but I will deal with that another day!

 Here is her knee cracks.

I VERY  gently washed her hair with wig shampoo.
Her wig is a bit deteriorated, but I will reglue it later.
I used a mild soap to carefully wash her body.

 While her hair was drying I repainted her face.
(I figured I couldn't make it worse!)
I tried these tiny baby hair clips, but they are TOO big.


 Here she is all washed and dressed!

 I still need to do more work on her hair, but it is already MUCH better!

 Such a sweet girl.

 Toni and Betsy, both American Character dolls.

 I started making this bed and quilt this morning!
I had no idea she would arrive today!
The bed is similar to Toni's.  Just a cardboard box
with a mattress on top.  The headboard is also cardboard
covered in green satin.

 Alice gave Betsy Flopsy Bunny to sleep with.
(Betsy is wearing a hair net to smooth her hair)

Goodnight Betsy, welcome home.


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I still have my Betsy McCall doll. She, too, has only one shoe but still wears the original pale green dress with a pink rose at the bodice. You've done a beautiful job restoring her and she looks adorable in her new room. Well done!
Fawn

Brenda and Sophie said...

Thank you Fawn! I had fun fixing her up. I only became interested in the Betsy McCall dolls since I found my Toni doll. I began looking at other American Character dolls and came across Betsy SO CUTE!! Next I want to start collecting a couple of her original outfits.