My Dolls

My Dolls
Click the picture to see my dolls. Contact me at: thesavagedollblog@gmail.com

Saturday, July 01, 2017

New dress and coat for Toni

I came across this little dress and matching coat recently on eBay.
The ad said that they thought they were made for Barbie, 
but I knew better! Barbie is slimmer with a
longer torso, so her dresses will be longer in the bodice.
Well, needless to say I got them!

When this outfit arrived, I washed and soaked it.
I was hoping to get some of the yellow out of the dress.

After soaking overnight I laid the dress and coat on a towel to dry.
Some of the yellow came out.

Look how cute this fabric is.

After pressing everything - here it is! 
The swing coat is corduroy.
 The coat is lined with the same fabric as the dress.

Only when I pressed this dress did I realize it was
taffeta! - not cotton as I had thought.

There is a tiny tear in the neckline.
I fray-checked it and will figure out something to 
do to hide the tear and keep it from getting worse.

Here is a close-up of the fabric.
So cute!

After careful consideration I decided to add
these 2 tiny pearl buttons to cover the tear in the bodice.  
I think this should keep the tear from getting worse.
I am happy with the result.



 Very pretty Toni!

6 comments:

Tasha Thames said...

Toni is very cute and so is the dress. I think the Pearl buttons just make the outfit! Congratulations on the find!

Brenda Savage said...

Thank you Tasha! I know some people believe that changing a vintage dress is just wrong, but I feel if it preserves the dress it is worth it. I am very happy with the new dress and coat. I agree it was a great find.

Anonymous said...

How lovely is that coat and dress.
Marion

Anonymous said...

What a great job you did. Toni looks gorgeous in her matching coat and dress.
Marilyn

Brenda Savage said...

Thank you Marion, yes, I am very pleased with this new outfit for Toni!

Brenda Savage said...

Thanks Marilyn. You know how I love these vintage finds! I think this has to be my new favorite.