My Dolls Click image to go to post

My Dolls Click image to go to post
Click image to see my favorite dolls. Email me at: thesavagedollblog@gmail.com

Saturday, July 22, 2017

Mini Bisque Dolls

Recently on a thrifting day I found this little wood cradle.
It was quite scratched and dinged.

I went over it with scratch cover polish and look at it now!
I now needed to decide what to do with it?
Keep or sell?

I thought this would be a sweet doll cradle for Shirley, 
but what dolls to get for her?
How I found Shirley

She would need a vintage doll, a modern doll would not do!

SO, I looked online to get some ideas.  
The doll should be no larger than 5".
I did a search for 4" to 5" doll.

This is what I found!  So sweet!
But, this was an ad for the tiny crochet dress ONLY!
Tiny Crochet Dresses
The ad described the dolls it would fit so I searched for:
"Frozen Charlotte" and "Nippon Dolls".

This is a 5" bisque Flapper Doll.
Also sometimes called a "Frozen Charlotte" because her legs are frozen.
She is made in Japan, but not marked as a Nippon doll.
She is from the 1920s or 30s.

Here she is with her new momma and
wearing her crocheted pink dress.
She is perfect for Shirley.

The doll cradle has new bedding and is all ready for play.
But one doll is not enough!

While searching for other small bisque dolls,
I came across these "Nancy Ann storybook dolls".
I have seen these from time to time in Antique shops, but never
gave them more than a glance.  
Something about this pair just grabbed me!

 When these little dolls arrived, this note was attached.

Aw! So sweet!
Bonnie, they will be!!

Here they are just after I unwrapped them. 
Bonnie used an old hankie to add an apron and 
hair scarf to this little girl.

This little girl is all original.

As usual I forged ahead where some collectors fear to tread!
I did a VERY gentle wash of their dresses.

I also noticed this old glue residue visible after her hair pulled away.

I gently touched it up with a damp cloth and it all came away.

Here is the red haired baby!
I saved the hankie and made it into a tie apron.
Die-hard collectors feel only original will do.
I disagree!
I think these little personal touches ADD to a doll's value,
because it shows someone loved them.

I also used the remaining hankie piece and made a little cap.

This vintage hankie was beginning to fray, 
and I wanted to save it! 

Here is the brunette baby. I gently brushed 
her felt bonnet to remove any dust.
The tiny old flowers are showing their age, 
but there is not much you can do with them..
I will carefully save this bonnet just as it is.

I also gave her a piece of my Grandma's wedding lace
for a sash.  Since her bonnet is so fragile I made her a hair band as well.

And here is the whole family!
Shirley loves her new dolls and cradle.

Oh and here's a treat....

Shirley Temple Black's personal doll collection.

12 comments:

Becky in IL said...

It is great to see these dolls all become a bit more vibrant after the gentle cleaning you've given them and a warm family to be a part of.

Brenda Savage said...

I agree Rebecca, I love freshening up an older doll and giving her a second life! I believe that as long as you are gentle most older fabrics will take a washing. It is amazing how much of a difference a little washing can make.

Anonymous said...

I loved seeing the Shirley Temple's doll collection. Thanks for sharing.
Marion

Anonymous said...

Those crochet pieces you used are lovely. You did such a good job.
Joan

Anonymous said...

What lovely dolls you have. You do such a nice job keeping them clean and dressed so pretty. Thank you sharing .
Marilyn

Brenda Savage said...

Thank you Marion. I thought others might like seeing Shirley Temple's personal doll collection.

Brenda Savage said...

Thank you Joan, I can't take credit for the crochet pieces, I purchased them! But I love them! SO cute!

Brenda Savage said...

Thank you Marilyn, I enjoy dressing and photographing my dolls to share with others.

Anonymous said...

Being a doll collector, if Shirley Temple Black were alive today, I'm sure she would love your blog.
Fawn

Brenda Savage said...

Awwww, thank you Fawn!

Bonnie said...

Brenda- you give us reseller's hope that not all doll collectors expect brand new perfection vintage - it doesn't exist! I love your dolly displays, & as a college educated interior designer, - you are amazing! Seriously, thank you for giving me confidence again, because my entire collection consists only of dolls that have been hugged at least once!!

Brenda Savage said...

Thank you Bonnie! These little girls have found a great home!