My Dolls Click image to go to post

My Dolls Click image to go to post
Click image to see my favorite dolls. Email me at: thesavagedollblog@gmail.com

Monday, April 22, 2024

How to pack Dolls for a Move

 Moving is never easy!
But, when packing and moving 
antique and vintage dolls, it's 
important to take special care.

Since I am packing and moving all my dolls,
This is a great time to discuss proper handling.

Antique bisque articulated dolls may need 
to have their heads removed from 
their body and filled with tissue paper
 to protect their eye mechanism. 
If you have dolls of this kind, 
Do your research!

I do not have any of the above dolls, but
I do have china head dolls
Clara from the 1890s, and my other china 
head dolls will have their heads, arms and...

feet wrapped in tissue paper and
then in bubble wrap.

Clara is ready to go!

When packing composition dolls
special care must be taken to keep
them dry and protected.

Composition dolls should be wrapped
in unbleached linen or clean cotton.
NO BUBBLE WRAP!!
This is mostly when considereing
long term storage, as any plastic
can hold in moisture and moisture
is damaging to Composition dolls.

After warapping Sally in linen, I then used
a pillow case to cushion and protect her.
I am only using carboard boxes
and my dolls will go with me
in our personal vehicle.

My tiny compo dolls and my
grandmother's tiny china doll I put 
in a smaller box for their safety.
Each doll was carefully wrapped
in cotton so they won't rub.

I am also using my doll quilts and linens 
for extra cushioning. Crumpled paper 
filled the gaps so there is no movement.
This box has a lid and the whole thing 
went into a larger box.

This way small dolls will not get
lost in the packaging of bigger dolls!!

Plastic bins are fine for temporary storage
and transportation, but not so great
for long term as they can hold onto moisture 
and damage dolls, especially composition dolls.

My Crissy growing hair dolls all had their hair
retracted as far as possible to protect their
ponytails.  All my American Girl dolls also 
had their hair carefully wrapped to 
protect their hair from breakage.

All my dolls are safely packed and ready to go.
 AGAIN, this is only for transport,
 they will not go into storage!

Sadly, the dolls will be camping out with
 me in a rental house until we find our new house.
So, no dollhouse, no beds, no dressers...
But I did hide a bunch of summer outfits!

Utah here we come!!

2 comments:

Maryn said...

Best of luck with your move, and prayers that you will find a new house quickly! Your dolls will be comfy and safe with your careful and attentive packing!

Brenda Savage said...

Thank you Mary!
I appreciate all the prayers I can get! The dolls are all rady to go. We should arrive by this Saturday and tey can all come out of their boxes. I am looking forward to starting this next chapter.
Hugs
Brenda