My Dolls Click image to go to post

My Dolls Click image to go to post
Click image to see my favorite dolls. Email me at: thesavagedollblog@gmail.com

Thursday, June 27, 2019

Doll House Cabinet

I have really enjoyed looking at photos of cabinet doll houses.  I love the idea of a little doll house with glass doors so you can see inside.  I have never been that interested in a traditional doll house,  I don't know why.  SO, anyway, I had this cabinet for years and never thought of it until recently

This was a Pooley Record Cabinet, an automatic record sorter.

Here is the record number bar. I decided to leave it as part of my doll cabinet.

First coat of Kilz. This was the brush on Kilz.
Once again I found that the really best way to cover
old varnish is the spray version of Kilz.

My husband added the shelf.
I added the trim with his help.

The trim has a vine pattern.
As you can see there are a lot of odd shapes in this cabinet.

Painting the trim white.

After another coat of spray Kilz, I am
ready to wallpaper!

I use watered down white glue and a brush.

My first attempt at wallpaper!
Not great, I must say.
Ah well.

I ran out of the flowered paper, but
the pink stripes I had enough to finish.

Here is a trial arrangement for the bottom floor.

And, the top floor.
I need rugs, windows, trimmings, lots of things!

This is all just the beginning!

Stay tuned! 
Bye for now!

15 comments:

Janet said...

Your "doll house" is a gem! I love the decorating you've done - I can judge the size by the light wood bureau on the top shelf -I recognize it as a Strombecker, I have one too!

I am sure I will come back to study all the pieces you have in there.

My dolls' Condo/cabinet does not have glass doors, mine are wood, hiding the often messy interior. My little ladies are not known for their neatness!

Janet

Jenny said...

You could use a wainscoting where the wallpaper came up short; better at the bottom of the wall, though.

Anonymous said...

Brenda great job. It is adorable.
Joan

Anonymous said...

What a great idea. It is so cute and unique. Love it. Thank You for sharing.
Marion

Anonymous said...

Congratulations on this doll cabinet. It is lovely. You did a good job. Your husband's shelves are great. Thank you for sharing.
Marilyn

Brenda Savage said...

Thank you Sandra! I'm glad you like what I did. I was really uncertain, but I've had such nice feedback.

Brenda Savage said...

Thanks Janet! I must admit, my girls are not always the neatest either. WE do try and tidy up for pictures though. I would love to see photos of your doll house! I have an email for sharing doll photos. Maybe I should mention it again in a post? Yes, I think it is a Strombecker dresser, although the chairs and bed are another similar brand from the same era.

Brenda Savage said...

Thank you Jenny, that's an idea! I am waiting to see if another Michael's has a few sheets of this flower pattern before I decide what to do. I thought for certain I could stretch it if I was very careful, but I was wrong. I also thought about painting it pink and add a shelf along the top and add little plates and chatchkies?

Brenda Savage said...

Thank you Joan, I am pleased with it so far. I am still figuring out where to put it in my doll room though!

Brenda Savage said...

Thanks Marion, I wasn't too sure about this project until I got some of these kind remarks.

Brenda Savage said...

Thanks Marilyn, my husband is such a great guy. He is always ready to help me with my doll projects.

Dorothy In PA said...

What a clever idea, a light filled doll house. You will be able to create so many stories in this wonderful space.

Brenda Savage said...

Thanks Dorothy, I copied this idea from antique doll cabinets I've seen in photos. I like seeing my doll furniture and also that a lot of dust might be kept out! I am having fun figuring out miniature items to finish furnishing this house. I think I'll be making a lot of items myself.

MyFarmhouseBlue said...

I love it and he glass doors will keep everything dust free! It looks great so far. This is exactly what I have wanted to do for years, but it's hard to find just the right cabinet. Congrats! I know you are going to enjoy this so much. :o)

Brenda Savage said...

Thank you! That is what I loved about the photos of cabinet dollhouses I've seen. Obviously the dust control, but also the idea of a sweet surprise hiding inside an ordinary cabinet.