My Dolls Click image to go to post

My Dolls Click image to go to post
Click image to see my favorite dolls. Email me at: thesavagedollblog@gmail.com

Wednesday, October 09, 2019

Doll Hat Tutorial 2

This is part 2 of my Doll Hat Tutorial.  One of my readers 
requested that I do a hat making tutorial, so here we are! 
Go back to the first tutorial for a list of supplies.
Today I am making 2 hats.

This, as you may or may not realize, is a woven place mat.
I found this is at a thrift store. I grab them whenever I see them.

Here are some other thrift store finds
just waiting to be decorated!

Here is my Patsyette, Helena, wearing a mini straw 
hat like the one above.

I measured the diameter I wanted and cut away the excess.

I ended up with an 8 inch circle.
You can see how I unraveled this mat to
get to the desired width.

The raw edge has to be folded under and hot-glued.
These are sewn, so they will continue to ravel
if not secured with glue and fray check.

This is what your folded and glued piece should look like.
This will be the back of the hat.

I also cut a 5 inch circle of wool felt.
A cereal bowl makes a good size circle.
Lay the bowl on your felt and draw 
around it with a pencil.

After it is cut, I stretch the center with my thumbs
until I get an indention.

Your felt should look like this.
Set this aside and we'll start with the woven hat. 

 I also stretch the woven mat to make a cone shape

Save this extra stuff!
We might do something with it in another tutorial!

Using my hot glue gun.  I start by
creating a circle of roses on the top.

Next I added a row of smaller ivory flowers.

I had an open spot in front and used
a ribbon instead of flowers.
The ribbon tails I hot glue with a bit of
a curved bend for interest.

Next I add netting. Twist and pinch before
folding under to attach.
This netting I just pinned to reuse it on different hats.

Finished!
You'll see both hats modeled at the end.

Here is our wool felt ready for decorating.

I cut about 3 feet of this spool netting.
I then fold it in thirds.
I always crumple my netting to soften it's look.

Next I loosely twist the netting and encircle 
the brim of my felt.

Pin all the ends into a bunch in the back.

Next I use a needle and thread to pull 
this bunch of netting together.

Like this. Tie off the thread underneath 
where it doesn't show.

I sew the net in place in 2 other spots
around the temple area.

Toward the front of the hat over the eyebrow
I sewed these 3 flowers and added some
embellishments.

I  added 2 more spots of flowers, one on the left and 
a grouping in front of the net bunch in back.
Trim the bunched net in back to make a pouf of net;
And the hat is finished!

DESIGN
There are a couple of things I keep in mind
when I am designing a hat.

The first is a line from a Regency novel.
It was something said by a male character 
to a female character.
Something like:

"It is exorbitant how much a milliner may 
charge for a wisp if lace and net."

I like this idea - make it seem but a wisp.  
Less is more.

The second thing I keep in mind is the rule of 3.
Keep flowers and decorations in groupings of 3.
This includes using a triangular pattern in placement.

You can see in my illustration the 2 triangle shapes
on the right.  A large triangle and a small triangle.
The other decorations are also in 3s.
And the overall placement is in 3 zones.

Design is important to bear in mind BUT  
this is just a guide - let your creativity flow!




READY TO SEE OUR CREATIONS?

First the Net Hat




Next the woven wide brim hat.

I used the netting to give a graceful bend to the brim.
The netting is pinned under Cissy's hairdo.

I am very happy with these 2 creations.
I hope this tutorial was helpful
and many beautiful hats are in the making.

4 comments:

Savagebd said...

Thank you Sandra! I like the details of the fashions worn by dolls in their proper era. I know tutorials like this are not always interesting to everyone, but hopefully someone who enjoys dressing a doll head to toe will be happy to make hats for their dolls. :)

Anonymous said...

sher522002@yahoo.com

Anonymous said...

Can you please send me link to Hat Tutorial #1? Thank tou

Anonymous said...

Hi anonymous,
If you search my blog for “hat tutorial”. It will bring up both tutorials.
Hugs
Brenda