My Dolls Click image to go to post

My Dolls Click image to go to post
Click image to see my favorite dolls. Email me at: thesavagedollblog@gmail.com

Saturday, October 12, 2019

Sally Ann, in her own words


I have recently been wondering about where my antique dolls came from?
Who was their first mommy?
Did some little girl, 90 years ago, open her on her birthday;
or maybe on Christmas?
I thought her story might be something like this:


"Hello, my name is Sally Ann."
We dolls don't remember anything when we are asleep 
in a box or a trunk, so all I know before I first
opened my eyes was what I heard
Barbara Ellen tell her friends.

My story starts sometime in August 1928.
Barbara Ellen was going to turn 9 years old when
she saw this advertisement at the corner store.
She saw a photo of me (or a doll just like me)
On the cover. I cost $3.50. Barbara's Mamma
wasn't sure they could afford that.
Maybe for her Birthday.

Barbara's Mamma  pointed at the next 
page and asked if she wouldn't like 
to have a new dress instead?
"The flowered dress would look so pretty 
with your hair.  A dress is so practical too."
But Barbara wanted me!

Barbara tried to be patient.  There were still
two months until her Birthday!
If only her Mamma would remember,
it had to be a Sally Ann doll.

FINALLY, the day arrived,
BARBARA ELLEN'S BIRTHDAY!
Everything was perfect UNTIL, her cousin Teddy blew out her
candles! She was very disappointed, Teddy was 
always doing things like that!
Barbara started to cry, but Mamma brought 
out two boxes! Barbara forgot all about those candles.

There was a big box and a small box.
Oh Barbara was so excited!
She opened the small box first.

It was a Fairy Tea set from Aunt Leathea, Teddy's Mamma.

AND THEN!
The big box...
It was me! Fast asleep.
Barbara was SO happy.
When she picked me up and I opened my eyes
I knew she was my Mommy.

But Barbara's surprises were not over.
Barbara's Grandmother and Daddy had a surprise up their sleeves.

They had purchased a pattern for my wardrobe!
Daddy bought fabric and Grandma sewed dresses.
And her Daddy bought Barbara my book!

When I first awoke I already had four new dresses with 
matching bonnets! Barbara told her family it was 
her best Birthday ever!

That night when Barbara Ellen tucked me in bed,
I was the happiest doll ever.

Barbara Ellen, Teddy (Teddy Bear not cousin Teddy!)
and I were the best of friends.
We did everything together.

Barbara Ellen gave us (pretend) baths.

And took us for walks outside to get fresh air.
She always made sure we were warm.

Barbara Ellen loved me and I loved her.

Then Barbara Ellen grew up like all little girls.


I think I must have fallen asleep for
a very long time...


Then a very nice lady found me.
She was a Doll Doctor.
She thought I was still beautiful
and she gave me new paint and a new dress.

Until one day I was ready to go to a new mommy.

The next thing I knew I was here!
With all my sisters and all our friends.
And now I'm ready for new adventures!

18 comments:

lil red hen said...

So very sweet!
She looks fantastic! Being a doll doctor is important work!

Savagebd said...

Thank you Lil Red Hen. I'm glad you enjoyed Ann's story. I did not restore Ann, but the person who did was very good. She is very lovely and I am happy to have added her to my collection.

Anonymous said...

This is a beautiful post. You did a super job on the story. I love it. Patsy Ann is special. Your doll room is gorgeous. I want to jump right in and play.
Marion

Janet said...

I love the idea that dolls are asleep when they are put away and not played with - makes me feel good to know i have awakened quite a few to have a new family and now adventures!

Anonymous said...

OH! what a beautiful post. I feel like I know Barbara Ellen and her doll. Your doll room is gorgeous. I want to visit it and play with all the beautiful dolls.
Marilyn

Anonymous said...

Brenda, I really enjoyed this fun post. You always make everything with your dolls so special. Thank You for sharing.
Joan

Savagebd said...

Thank you Marion! I was hoping others would appreciate Ann's story. I used my Grandmother who really is Barbara Ellen and who loved dolls her whole life. The rest was from Ann herself.
;)
Well Marion if you are ever in CA send me a line and you can come play dolls with me!
hugs
Brenda

Savagebd said...

Me too Janet! I made that up myself. I couldn't stand the though that they could be awake for years and years in a box, so of course they are like little Sleeping Beauties. I would love to see your dolls Janet! Send me photos to: thesavagedollblog@gmail.com

Brenda

Savagebd said...

Thank you Marilyn! I am so pleased you all like this post. I was afraid some people would think it was silly. I would love for you to come play dolls with me!
hugs
Brenda

Savagebd said...

Thank you Joan,
I had so much fun making this post. I took photos and edited them into a sepia color then colorized them like old fashioned 'colorized' photos. I cropped my Ann into old photos I found to make her story come to life.

Janet said...

I sure do love the little smocked jacket Ann is wearing at the beginning of her "story". Did you make it, or was it a fabulous "find"?

My Patsy is a Patsy Joan, now named Francine and I love to make this for her.

Janet

Savagebd said...

That little jacket was an online find, as was the striped dress. These were some of the first things I found for her. I have never learned how to do smocking! I would love to learn. It is so cute when it's done well.

Brenda

Janet said...


I've never done smocking, but I think I'd like to try. I'll do some research and figure out if it is something i could attempt. I'll keep you posted!

Janet

Savagebd said...

Yes, please do!

Dorothy In PA said...

What a wonderful story! I love the photo illustrations. She looks like a very happy little dolly.

Savagebd said...

Thank you Dorothy! I enjoyed using my phot editor to antique and add my Ann to vintage illustrations.

Hugs
Brenda

Xanadu said...

Hello Brenda!
I can see how loved this little doll has become over the years and I am so pleased to see her fully restored, she is beautiful. Thank you so much for sharing this story, it's one of the most touching dolly posts I've read in a long time.
Big hugs,
X
P.S. I shall add your blog to my reading liat. :)

Savagebd said...

Thank you Xanadu! I had was wondering about how my Ann came to me over so many years. I decided I should just ask her. ;) I enjoyed creating this story using these old images.
I am so glad you enjoyed it.
Hugs
Brenda