My Dolls Click image to go to post

My Dolls Click image to go to post
Click image to see my favorite dolls. Email me at: thesavagedollblog@gmail.com

Wednesday, April 15, 2020

Doll Furniture Tutorial

 So, like many things I do, I just decided to try making some
doll furniture.  This will be furniture to fit a small fashion doll
like Little Miss Revlon or a Barbie sized doll.

SO! Let's go!

I found a cardboard box, just something I have sitting around.
A shoebox or a shipping box would work.

First I cut out a rectangle 4 inches by 9 inches long.

I made a fold at about 1 3/4 inches.
I use a ruler pressed on the cardboard to keep my 
fold straight. 

The back of the sofa is 3 1/2 inches by
9 inches. I used the ribbon roll to draw a nice curve
for the sofa back. 

This is how these two pieces will be assembled.
BUT DON'T DO THAT YET!
 First we want to cover everything with fabric.

Just so you can see how these 
2 pieces will make a sofa shape.
(I had to retake these photos because I forgot!)

Here is my actual sofa and the beginnings of arms.

Before assembling, I covered all the pieces with fabric.
The fabric needs to be large enough to 
fold over and cover both sides. 

 Hot Glue fabric folded over the bottom of the back. 
Then fold in the sides and hotglue.
I added some thin flat batting in the shape of the 
front before folding over and finishing the front.


When the folded seat and the back are all covered
with batting and fabric,
hotglue them together underneath.

On to the arms...
Next is the sofa arms.
This flap looked almost like the shape of a sofa arm,
so I started by cutting this off.

I wanted to round off the arm a little.
I use any round item I can find to draw
a curve and cut it out.
  
Again, cover everything with fabric.

You'll need 4 cardboard pieces for the arms.
This will make a front and a back for both sides.
The inside arm facing the sofa cushion will be 
covered with batting then fabric. 

You can see here the 2 arm pieces were glued together 
then covered with a strip of  folded and pressed fabric.
All my rough ends are underneath or on
the bottom.

 A close-up of the arm after being attached to the 
sofa seat and back.

And another.  You can see this is far from perfect.
But I don't worry about perfection!

I added 2 little pillows in the same fabric
and the sofa is done.

NEXT!
A little slipper chair.
I cut out a little circle using a ribbon spool,
and another piece of cardboard for the back.
The back can be any shape you like,
just be sure it wraps around the seat.

Again, batting and fabric cover
the seat before assembling.

Here are the seat and back covered.

The seat is hotglued to the back and then a row of 
ruffled fabric is added all the way around.
Again I use some folded and pressed fabric to finish.

Here are the two finished pieces.

"What is this all about?"
You may ask.
Well, here's a hint.

OH my, what did I do?

14 comments:

lil red hen said...

Uh, maybe started a new room? I'd like to give this a try for my clothespeg dolls. I love coming to your blog; there's always something wonderful to learn and enjoy.

Janet said...

You work is so nice and neat - I make such a mess when I work with glue! But
I recently discovered glue sticks - a much better solution for me.

I love doll furniture, almost as much as the dolls who live with it. I am eager to see the rest of this chapter!
Janet

Dorothy In PA said...

I had fun watching. I am excited to see what comes next.

Savagebd said...

Thank you Charlotte (Lil red hen)

I did start a new room - two rooms actually! I have been busy making and gathering things from around my house. I can't say too much more!

Hugs
Brenda

Savagebd said...

Thank you Linda,

I like the ruffled slipper chair too. This is actually the second one I've made. The first was for my Betsy McCall Doll, so much smaller.

Hugs
Brenda

Savagebd said...

Thank you Janet!

I am trying to not say too much and spoil the surprise. I think you may have a clue what I am up to though!

Hugs
Brenda

Savagebd said...

Thank you Dorothy,

I'm trying not to spoil the surprise. I have been enjoying myself though. I'll be ready to reveal in a couple days!

Hugs
Brenda

Savagebd said...

Thank you Sandra,

You don't have long to wait! I think I am nearly done. One more item arriving today and I should be ready.

Hugs
Brenda

Anna said...

I am so looking forward to seeing what you are creating now.Did you make make the Betsy Mccall house? I though maybe she came with her case.
I loved the Easter post too.Your dolls have such beautiful clothes and as always your little displays set them off so well.
Enjoy your crafting and building.
Anna

Xanadu said...

Well that turned out well Brenda, very Barbie pink too! Not sure what your next project is, but you have peaked my curiosity. :)
Big hugs,
X

Lady Linda said...

I just found your blog! How delightful. I am a dolly person too so this will be fun to visit your blog. Happy Spring.

Savagebd said...

Thank you Ann!

Yes, I did make the Betsy case/house. I might need to do a close-up look at it?

I am so pleased you like my blog! I just potter around and take pictures and hope people like what I do.

Hugs
Brenda

Savagebd said...

Thanks Xanadu!
Stay tuned - not long now! I have just a couple more things to do and I'll be posting the reveal.

Hugs
Brenda

Savagebd said...

Thank you Lady Linda!

I am so glad you found my blog! We just want to have fun here, so welcome!

Hugs
Brenda