My Dolls Click image to go to post

My Dolls Click image to go to post
Click image to see my favorite dolls. Email me at: thesavagedollblog@gmail.com

Sunday, September 11, 2022

Just a couple little makeovers

I say "little" because these dolls are 
10" and 11" long.

This first doll I found in a thrift store.
She is an 11" Gerber Baby.
She is a drink and wet baby.

She was wearing this little hand knit
snow suit.

Her body is made out of a foam
style plastic. I suppose to make her softer?
Her legs and arms are hard plastic.

Her head feels like rubber.
Her face-paint was all rubbed off.
She also had some bad green spots.
Poor Baby!

I washed baby and set her in the sun with
acne cream on her green spots.
This is good for fixing green 
ear in dolls who wear earrings too.

then I got ready
to refresh her face paint.

Next!

 I found this 10" Scootles doll in a 
second hand shop.
I believe he is from around 1925.
He was wearing this cute little dress,
but I think he is a boy!

Look at that face!
He had paint cracking on his torso and arm,
but otherwise he was in good shape!

I did my stabilize and refresh trick.
I went over his torso and arm with wood filler.
Then I gently sanded him.

I really hesitate to even show this!
I know some of you are restorers
and you cringe at my shortcuts.
Please don't judge me!

I refreshed the paint where needed.
I mixed my own colors
using an oil base paint.

Back to Gerber Baby!


This is how she looked before!

Finished face paint!
I love her little cooing mouth.

Before she gets dressed,
she needed a fresh diaper!

I found some little dresses
that fit her.

This little night gown.

This little christening gown.

This dress is a little too big
for her, but...

It matches her snow suit.
Here she is ready to head out  
for a stroller ride on a cool 
fall morning.

Now Scootles!

After his paint cured for 24 hours,
I put him back together.
Stringing is really not that hard.

Starting with his head, I loop the elastic in his
head hook, then through his arms and
finally his legs.

I pull this nice and tight and knot it 
inside his leg opening.

All done!
These needle nose pliers are a MUST
when restringing smaller dolls.

I've had these little red overalls
for a long time. I think with a little 
adjustment they'll be perfect
for Scootles.

Here he is! Looking very 
mischevious.

Hey, what's that in your back pocket mister?
It looks like a sling-shot!

"It ain't nothin."

Thanks again to my husband
who helped me find a tiny "Y"
branch and create this tiny 
sling-shot for Scootles.

10" Scootles and 11" Gerber Baby
BEFORE 

AND AFTER!
10" Scootles and 11" Gerber Baby.
All done!

******

Look Martin! Another boy in the house!

Oh boy.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

They both are adorable! When iwas very small (mid 50s) I had a doll I was told was Betsy Wetsy. I have no idea who she really was, she doesn't look like that doll to me. She had a hard plastic head, but her ears were rather rubbery. The description of body composition was as you described for Gerber. I guess it was a strange time for baby dolls!
I love the resemblance between Toodles and Kewpies. The puckish face, the starfish Hands! And of course your wonderful restoration. I love the dolls of the 50s and 60s. I never saw most of them as a child or heard of them. Ibreally enjoy your finds and skills! Beth

Brenda Savage said...

Hi Beth,
Thank you! It sounds like your doll might have been a Tiny Tears? I am really happy with both these dolls. I am more partial to Scootles, I must admit. I’m so pleased you enjoyed my post!
Hugs
Brenda

Anna said...

Hi Brenda,
They both look lovely. The clothes you have put on the baby suit her so well.
She looks so sweet now she has had her makeover.
Scootles looks like a fun rascal to have around. I love his outfit and that slingshot is so cute.
Anna

Brenda Savage said...

Hi Anna,
I am so happy with both these dolls. The Gerber baby I could not wait to paint. I knew she would be sweet. The Scootles is definitely a little rascal, you are so right! My husband is so good about helping me with these doll projects. I love how his slingshot came out.
Hugs
Brenda