My Dolls Click image to go to post

My Dolls Click image to go to post
Click image to see my favorite dolls. Email me at: thesavagedollblog@gmail.com

Thursday, November 10, 2022

Three Restoration Dolls


My husband has taken to searching online
for dolls I might like to restore.
I know! What a gem!

A couple days ago he came across an ad for these 
three little girls. They all three belonged to the 
seller's mother. His mother's name is
Nancy Erickson.
I'm so grateful that Nancy's son found
a new home for these dolls instead
of throwing them away!

On the left is this composition Horsman 
baby doll. She is about 15" long.

In the middle is this China Head doll
who is about 15" tall.

And on the right is this cloth doll
with a plastic painted face.

Along with the dolls I got this lovely lot
of vintage doll dresses from the 1920s and 30s
that were used to dress and play with these
three dolls.

This is my favorite! Look at that
beautiful fabric!

These little shorts are adorable!

This little blue dress with the scalloped collar
 is also so very sweet.

I decided to start with the China Head doll.
Upon closer examination, I saw that her shoulder 
plates were broken and someone had cleverly 
used a wooden dowel to keep her head on!

These are the clothes she was wearing.
Top left is her velvet cape. I will be
doing all I can to save and preserve it, 
the rest however are too fragile and too
far gone, even for me!

Sadly, her body was in tatters as well and 
losing sawdust. I will either make 
her a new body, or find a donor.

After removing her head you can see she is
missing her shoulder plates. These are 
not her original hands, so a donor 
body will be my best bet.
BUT, how in the world do I fix her shoulders?!?

After a little research I discovered Milliput putty.
It is a putty mixed with epoxy for repairing china.
The paper roll is covered in wax paper to
create the rounded shoulder plates.

I took equal parts of the the two compounds and 
kneaded them together for 7 minutes.
It's important that the two compounds
are completely mixed together.

The putty stays malleable for 30 or 40 minutes. 
At this point, I said goodnight 
and left her to set.

Next morning I was thinking about washing some
doll clothes.  First I needed to make sure frayed pieces were 
repaired. This little dress was originally
gathered in front, but it has pulled apart.

Using a needle and thread, I repaired the front.

After stitching the rent and regathering the 
front, I use Fray-Check to secure the fabric 
from further fraying.

The arm holes were also frayed, so they got 
the treatment as well.

After being reinforced, all the doll
dresses went into a cold soak wash.
Don't be afraid to gently wash even quite old clothes.
Just be sure any frays or holes are reinforced.

NEVER SCRUB! Only Swish!

Next I returned to the China Head doll.
I'm really happy with this fix.
The putty is REALLY strong!
I think she looks like a Clara.

After some sanding Clara is looking
much better.  Clara will not be
as valuable as if she were unbroken,
BUT! How great to learn there is a 
fix for a broken doll!

BEFORE    and    AFTER

I will most likely use a ribbon
choker necklace to hide the line
between her head and neck repair.

This donor body is on it's way, however,
I really wanted to get started on Clara.

I drew around her original body.
From this I made pattern pieces.
I imagine many dolls were repaired 
by mother's in a similar way.

Clara's neck plates were a little wider
than I realized, so I added a bosom.
This body will be about the right size to create her
clothes and accessories while I am waiting.

I made her pantaloons and a slip...

And a lace camisole.

Here she is! I have a piece of pink
taffeta that I will use to make her gown.

BUT, what about the other dresses!?!?

My 1937 McGuffey Anna got to model the
blue dress. This dress was made for a
doll similar in size to my Anna.

Remember this dress? It has
been washed and pressed. There
are still some stubborn stains, but
I don't mind that a bit!

I hid the stains on the collar with a
green bow.

Patsy Joan loves this new dress.

Everyone is looking very pretty!

NEXT TIME!
Clara will get a new taffeta gown and...
What is happening to the Horsman baby!?!?

18 comments:

Brenda Savage said...

Hi Sandra,
Thank you! I do enjoy a challenge. I am always ready to try something new. I’m really pleased to find out about the milliliter putty. Apparently you can use it to repair chips on China plates and cups! I may be going through my Franciscan dishes and see what I can do! The doll dresses that came with the dolls are a real treasure. They mostly appear to be homemade from the 20s and 30s. I am really enjoying having some projects, dolls and dresses!
Hugs
Brenda

Janet said...

Hi Brenda,

I am so very impressed with Clara's restoration! She is lovely, and since she is a totally different era than your usual dolls, you will have a whole new avenue to go down, style wise.

I'll look through my fabrics to see what I have that is old enough to be appropriate for her. if I find something I like, I save it , even if I don't have a doll who it suits.

I also adore Patsy Joan's floral dress - soooo soft and lovely - it is perfect for her - good save on the collar!
Wonderful husband!

Janet

Janet

Brenda Savage said...

Hi Janet,
Thank you! I am so happy with how Clara is coming out. The putty fix is just amazing! I find myself thinking about other ways this putty could be used! I had meant to finish Clara’s gown on this post, but I ran out of steam. I plan on using some taffeta to make her gown, but I also have some floral fabric I may try.
The doll dresses are adorable. They are made from lovely fabrics. Even though there are sone stains and discoloration I am pleased as punch! I still have several other dresses to finish pressing and restoring.
Not only did my DH find these dolls, but he has been helping me rebuild the right leg on the Horsman baby doll. I feel really blessed by all the help he’s giving me.
Hugs
Brenda

Brenda Savage said...

Hi Linda,
Thank you! My husband is so awesome. He is a woodworker, so the composition doll repairs are interesting to him. He has been giving me a lot of help rebuilding the horsman baby’s legs. I am anxiously awaiting the donor body for Clara. I will keep the cloth body I made for future projects. The Milliput is amazing! I was so excited to share all about it!
Hugs
Brenda

Anna said...

Hi Brenda,
I think Clara looks wonderful. she has a lovely expression on her face.
I was so excited to find out about Milliput. I researched straight away to see if I could buy it here and I can.
I love the dresses they are so pretty.
It's nice to have a husband that helps, my husband is currently painting a little house for my vintage Sylvanian family. I'm so excited to set it up.
Anna







Brenda Savage said...

Hi Anna,
Thank you. I am so happy with Clara’s restoration. It is so special to save a doll nearly 100 years old! The Milliput is a miracle.
I am also so pleased with the dresses and so excited to share the Horsman baby restoration! My husband is amazing and I am so grateful for all his help. Sounds like your husband is a great help too!
Hugs
Brenda

Maryn said...

What an awesome restoration of Clara! I can't wait to see your Horsman baby!

The darling vintage doll clothing is beautiful on your vintage dolls!

Brenda Savage said...

Hi Maryn,
Thank you! I am so happy with this whole lot of dolls and clothes. Clara has a new taffeta gown that I will share in my next post. I’m so pleased with Clara and these vintage dresses are so precious. It is amazing to think a mom in the 1920s or so made these by hand, and now nearly 100 years later they are still be used! Amazing!
Hugs
Brenda

Anonymous said...

Brenda Clara is a treasure. I will be looking forward to seeing the
restoration of the others. The clothes are nice. You are a wonder with making new out of old and worn.
Marion

Anonymous said...

The clothes look brand new after a little love and care. Of course Clara is the show stopper.
Marilyn

Anonymous said...

You are a wonder with bringing used clothes and battered dolls back to life.
Joan

Brenda Savage said...

Hi Marion.
Thank you! Wait til you see Clara's finished gown. I am really happy with it. It's so fun finding these antique doll dresses. It is amazing to think that 90+ years ago someone sewed these clothes for a little girl's doll. I'm having so much fun.
Hugs
Brenda

Brenda Savage said...

Hi Marilyn,
Thank you! I am so enamored with Clara! This always happens when I work on a damaged doll, I just fall in love. I so enjoy making old things new again. Most of the doll clothes are in pretty good shape considering their age. I can't wait to show everyone Clara's finished gown and bonnet.
Hugs
Brenda

Brenda Savage said...

Hi Joan,
Thank you! You know how much I love a makeover! This group of dolls and clothes have been so much fun. I love a challenge and between Clara and the Compo Baby doll, I am really stretching my skills.
Hugs
Brenda

Marina said...

Hello Brenda! Your blog is so lovely, I am so glad I came across it. I have many teddy bears but also a few dolls myself. I love reading the little stories where your dolls talk from their own points of view and reading about your finds and restorations. Do you have a banner I could use to link to your blog? It's rare I find sites like these and I like to link if I can.

Brenda Savage said...

Hi Marina,
Thank you! I enjoy my blog. It is a place for me to play dolls and share with my friends. You inspire me to be thinking about another scenario for my dolls, hm...
I believe if you click on the followers link on my blog, you should get an email whenever I have new post.
Hope to see you here again!
Hugs
Brenda

LittleGinnyFaith said...

You have your husband properly trained! He found a really challenging group for you to work on. I'm amazed at what you did with the China head doll. I can't get over you making the shoulder plates. The finished project looks great. Betty

Brenda Savage said...

Hi Betty,
YES! I do have my husband properly...well, he's amazing is all. He is always willing to help me find solutions. It's funny, I had just recently seen another China head doll repaired on Pinterest. I really just breezed past it, then I got Clara and I realized she could be saved! I did some research and you see the results. I think I am the most amazed about this repair. I amaze myself sometimes! Haha!
Hugs
Brenda