My Dolls Click image to go to post

My Dolls Click image to go to post
Click image to see my favorite dolls. Email me at: thesavagedollblog@gmail.com

Friday, November 25, 2022

Three Restoration Dolls, Part 2

In my last post I was working on this China Head doll.
She was in pretty bad shape.  I could not save her
original body, the fabric was full of holes and just fell apart!

She was also missing her original
hands and feet.

After restoring her shoulder plates and
making her a temporary body, 
her replacement body finally arrived!

First fitting of her replacement body is good!

The pantaloons I had made fit her new body
just fine. Sadly the camisole did not!
I went ahead and made her a new dress
out of pink taffeta, but she needs a bonnet!

I did a little research about styles
from this era.

I cut out some of the taffeta and experimented
with cardboard or felt to give it body.
In the end the lace was enough.

This is what I came up with! 
I like it.

We'll see Clara all finished at the end
Of today's post!

While Clara's makeover was going on. I was 
also starting to work on the Horsman baby...

At first I thought the right leg was
missing, but we found it in pieces lying 
underneath baby in the box!

I took baby apart and had a meeting with
my technical advisor; my husband
Matt, the woodworker.

I tried wood putty to reattach the leg parts,
but this failed miserably. Matt suggested
some industrial strength epoxy.
This worked!

After the epoxy dried, we used a cardboard 
paper roll and rubber bands to create
 a rounded base to rebuild
the missing leg section. 
This was also epoxied.

After everything dried Matt was able to 
sand away the rubber band.

We covered everything with a thick layer
of wood putty and set it to dry.

After some building up and sanding the 
leg is looking pretty good!

I have been working on baby's face paint.
There were only minor cracks on baby's face.
I'm not 100% satisfied, so I will keep
working on her face.

Baby's body was in bad shape, so I traced a pattern
and made a new body.

New body sewn from linen fabric.

I still have some work to do on baby's legs.
I can see the left leg is slightly shorter
after we rebuilt it, but
I will just adjust it in the cloth body.

Horsman baby will be finished next time!

But now
Would you like to see Clara all finished??



HERE





SHE




IS!





Very pretty Clara

BEFORE  and  AFTER

Here are all my china head dolls.
The littlest doll in front belonged
to my Grandmother.


Next time: Finishing the Horsman doll!

6 comments:

Anna said...

Hi Brenda,
Clara looks amazing. You would never know she had been broken. Her new outfit is beautiful.
I am so excited to see the next Horsman baby post. I can't believe you and your husband were able to repair the leg.
Thanks for another wonderful post.
Anna

Brenda Savage said...

Hi Anna,
Thank you! I am happy with how Clara turned out. She was a new type of doll repair I had never attempted before. I am really pleased with her. My husband is amazing. He is so patient and helpful to me solving these structural problems. I had hoped to finish the Horsman baby in time for this post, but next time!
Hugs
Brenda

Brenda Savage said...

Hi Sandra,
Thank you! I am so pleased with Clara. I always fall in love with dolls I do a lot of work on. I guess it's not surprising.
Hugs
Brenda

Brenda Savage said...

Hi Linda,
Thank you! I am so pleased with Clara. I think she looks happy and content now. I am looking at he Horsman baby and getting a plan in mind. I sometimes struggle to complete a project. BUT, I'm getting it done!
Hugs
Brenda

Maryn said...

Wow! Clara looks amazing and her new outfit is gorgeous!

I can't wait to see your Horsman baby when she is done! Awesome work on the leg, and even if you aren't 100% satisfied with her face, it's so much better than it started out.

Brenda Savage said...

Hi Maryn,
Thank you! I am very happy with Clara. The Horsman baby is taking longer than anticipated, but hopefully will be finished soon! I will post as soon as I get her all done.
Hugs
Brenda