My Dolls Click image to go to post

My Dolls Click image to go to post
Click image to see my favorite dolls. Email me at: thesavagedollblog@gmail.com

Saturday, April 22, 2023

A Texas Doll

I recently went to Texas to visit family.
One day we had lunch here, at the
Stagecoach Restaurant,
in Salado, Texas,
established in 1861.

After lunch we went looking
for antique shops.

We visited three antique shops and
this shop was the last one.
You will never guess what I found!

Yes!  A doll!
A Madame Alexander Maggie Face doll.
She is 14" from the 1950s,  and needs
lots of TLC.

The Maggie face mold was used by 
Madame Alexander
for many years. She has various
hairstyles and personas.

Here she is as "Polly Pigtails"

This is Maggie as "Teen Roller-skater"
This is a similar example of what my
doll's outfit should look like.

I think the most popular version of Maggie
is as "Jo and Beth" of "Little Women".

Sadly, my doll is in need of some help!
After I returned home, I wanted to get to work!
Her wig was a loss, so she
got a bath and I soaked the wig remnants off.

After a long soak and a little
scrubbing, her head looks better.

Her outfit is in pretty bad shape,
BUT! I am going to work on it and see
what I can do...

The skirt is badly faded and FULL of holes.

Her top is not too bad, but the underskirt
is torn in several places.

She needed some face refreshing, lips and cheeks.

Here she is looking a little better.

I had this wig for a long time.
I decided to give it a try.

Let me know what you think?
I may decide to get a wig that looks
more like her original hair.

For now I think Maggie is just 
happy to have any hair!

Now it's time for pretty clothes to try on.
My Mary Hoyer is happy to share some 
of her outfits with Maggie.

This Mary Hoyer pink play dress is 
adorable on Maggie.

Maggie, where are you going?
We have more outfits to try on!
"I want to go play!"
 
Another pretty dress.

I think pink is definitely her color.

This wig is so pretty with lots of curls.

*sigh*

While Maggie is off to play
with her new friends I will be looking
for some vintage 
Madame Alexander outfits!


15 comments:

Anna said...

Hi Brenda,
Maggie looks so much happier now! She will be glad she found you. I don't know what to suggest with the wig. I like the blonde one, but the original wigs look nice too. Either way she is a very lucky girl.
Hope things went well in Texas.
Anna

Brenda Savage said...

Hi Anna,
Thank you! I agree with you, Maggie does look happier! I am liking the blonde wig more and more. She looks sweet and the wig is so fun to play with!

My trip to Texas went very well. My mom was happy with her rooms and how we decorated and organized everything.
Hugs
Brenda

Maryn said...

Maggie is adorable! I like the wig you're using right now, especially the curls! However, if you did find one that suited her better, that would be fine, too!

Brenda Savage said...

Hi Maryn,
Thank you! I am happy with how she looks. I know this wig is not a traditional style, but it's fun to play with and I enjoy playing dolls, not displaying dolls.
I think the wig might stay!
Hugs
Brenda

Anonymous said...

Brenda, Maggie is a pretty one. She looks great in her new outfit and wig.
Joan

Anonymous said...

What a fabulous job you did with Maggie . Congratulations Brenda. Welcome to Brenda's family Maggie.
Marion

Anonymous said...

WOW! What a difference. Maggie has gone from rags to riches! Maggie is one lucky little lady to have you as her mommy.
Marilyn

Anonymous said...

She is beautiful. I kinda like that blonde wig. The loose curls look fancy free like she would enjoy romping and playing on a farm or in the woods or on the playground of a small elementary school... memories. Can you tell 😊 Jennifer

Brenda Savage said...

Hi Joan,
Thank you! I always feel so lucky to find these dolls. There were other dolls in pieces in the same basket, but I knew they would take more work than I am willing to do right now. I wanted a fun easy project and Maggie was it!
Hugs
Brenda

Brenda Savage said...

Hi Marion,
Thank you! I have definitely been fortunate in my doll finds lately. First my Tiny Betsy and now Maggie. I'm so happy I looked in that basket!
Hugs
Brenda

Brenda Savage said...

Thanks Marilyn,
I am so pleased with Maggie. I wasn't sure about her new wig, but it has grown on me. I am happy you enjoy seeing my doll makeovers!
Hugs
Brenda

Brenda Savage said...

Hi Jennifer,
Thank you! I agree with you. The wig I gave her is more playful and free than her original wig would have been. I think, at this point, I would only change her wig if a vintage perfect condition MA wig came my way. I like playing with my dolls, so we will have fun with her hair as is!
Hugs
Brenda

Jenny said...

Hi, Brenda! I just love the Maggie face girls by Madame Alexander! I even have one I bought for a ridiculous high price, who was covered completely in white mold. I soaked her body parts, and finally went for it cleaning her head. He wig came out so pretty (she has carrot red hair!), and her original outfit was salvaged. She is a 14" Maggie, wearing her signature pink sweater over blue pleated skirt with pique bodice. I have a photo of the Mouseketeers wearing almost the exact style!
Jenny :-)

Jenny said...

One of my 18" Maggies is wearing a wig I found from Monique, a sweet bob style with bangs, and a bow pulling some hair up from a side part. It is really nice on Maggie!
Jenny :-)

Brenda Savage said...

Hi Jenny!
I too love the Maggie face from Madame Alexander. So sweet and pensive. I am happy with this wig on my Maggie. I still haven't worked on her outfit. I will eventually though. I would love to see photos of your Maggie's!
thesavagedollblog@gmail.com
Hugs
Brenda