My Dolls Click image to go to post

My Dolls Click image to go to post
Click image to see my favorite dolls. Email me at: thesavagedollblog@gmail.com

Sunday, September 17, 2017

Cissy's Picnic Outfit


I found this outfit a long time back in a thrift store.
It is handmade 1950s vintage, a yellow blouse and print skirt.
Here is Cissy wearing this ensemble not long after I found her.
It's a little blah, so I wondered what I could do to freshen it up?

First thing I did was make some new shoes.
The heels are made from regular corks I got at the craft store.
I sanded them to the correct shape.

I cut out some cardboard soles and some ribbon about 1.25".

Then I cut out some felt the same size as the soles.

First I hot-glued the soles to the heels.
I forgot the photo, but next I glued the 
ribbon to the top of the cardboard sole.
Next I glued the felt so the ribbon is between the sole and the felt.

I added some ribbon roses to finish.

After the shoes were done, I sewed new buttons 
on the blouse and made a matching belt.
Notice how the buttons are sewn in a flower bud pattern.

I was going to make a hat for this outfit, 
then I remembered how ladies wore a scarf
for casual occasions.

Here is the whole outfit,
I made Cissy a fuller crinoline for her skirt.
 
The scarf is very sweet.

It's hard to get a good shot that shows her new shoes!

 Cissy is all ready for a picnic!

12 comments:

Becky said...

Cissy's outfit is very lovely with your added enhancements. She reminds me of how my mother dressed in the "good old days". You've done a beautiful job of dressing her.

Brenda Savage said...

Thank you Becky! I still remember my Grandma wearing a scarf over her head whenever she went out! You know the wind could really mess up your hairdo. I love all these vintage fashions. I enjoy recreating them.

Anonymous said...

What a great job you did. I admire your talent. Those shoes are gorgeous. Thanks for sharing.
Marilyn

Anonymous said...

Great job with the shoes. Thanks for sharing.
Joan

Anonymous said...

Cissy looks like a fashion plate. Great job.
Marion

Brenda Savage said...

Thanks Marilyn, I am pleased with how the shoes came out.

Brenda Savage said...

Thanks Joan, This is my second pair of made from scratch shoes. You can see the first pair int he the first photo.

Brenda Savage said...

THanks Marion, I love dressing her up, she is so pretty!

Anonymous said...

We wore scarves when we took a ride on a warm Sunday afternoon. Our car air conditioning was the 460 type - wind down all four windows and go 60 miles and hour. Forget your scarf and you come home with hair that looks like you stuck your finger in an electric socket. Cissy will come home with every hair in place.
Fawn

Brenda Savage said...

Haha! I remember that. My dad had an old truck and all it had was the 260 AC.
I remember as a kid riding though LA in the summer with nothing but those windows open! I also have many memories of seeing my mom and grandma wearing these scarves. I used to love going into mom's scarf drawer and dressing up with ALL her scarves.

Dolly Blessings said...

Nice job! Love your embellishments and your creativity. :o)

Brenda Savage said...

Thank you, I had fun thinking of ways to make some changes without really re-making this outfit. Someone made it in the 50s and I didn't want to change it too much.