My Dolls Click image to go to post

My Dolls Click image to go to post
Click image to see my favorite dolls. Email me at: thesavagedollblog@gmail.com

Tuesday, February 05, 2019

1930s gift doll dresses

My dear friend Joanne found these dresses in a trunk.
She thought I might like to have them for my dolls.
She was right! Judging by the fabric
amd style, I believe these were 
baby dresses from the 1930s

Both dresses were a little too big for my 
American Character Sally.

I told Joanne I could sell them and send her 
the money and she responded with, 
"Can't you make them fit your doll?
I thought about it and decided, 
"Yes I can!"

This is the first dress.
I believe it is linen. 

This is the second dress.
I only realized later that this was actually the back!

This is the front!
How cute is that?

The first dress I almost completely took apart.
I cut off about 3 inches from the length.
The collar I had to resize to fit a smaller neck.

Here is the collar ready to be put back onto
the bodice of the dress.

AND, here is the remade dress!

I added a little sailboat button.
I'm very happy with this dress.

The second dress was a little less work.
It was pretty quick, just a hem and gather in the back.

I added the little flower buttons.
I made her a headband with the leftover fabric.

Here is close-up of the headband.

I am SO happy with these gift dresses!
Thank you Joanne!

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great job.
Joan

Anonymous said...

I love the dresses but the first is my favorite.
Marion

Joanne Freeman said...

So sweet! Glad they went to a good home!!

Anonymous said...

I like the headband. The dresses are very nice,the second is my favorite.
Marilyn

Janet C said...

I love what you did with the dresses! You have a wonderful friend with great ideas. The touches you added were perfect! I saved them on my Pinterest vintage dresses board.

Brenda Savage said...

Thank you Joan, I love sharing my projects.

Brenda Savage said...

Thank you Marion, the blue is my favorite too. It looks so pretty on Ann with her blue eyes.

Brenda Savage said...

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU Joanne! Thank you for thinking of me when you saw found these dresses, and thank you for suggesting I make them fit my dolls.

Brenda Savage said...

Thank you Marilyn, I am happy with how the headband turned out. I wanted it to look like a real flower.

Brenda Savage said...

Thank you Janet! I will look for you on Pinterest! I am very happy with these dresses and how they turned out.

Brenda Savage said...

I want to apologize for taking so long to respond to your comments everyone. We had a family emergency that took me away from my normal activities, but all is well now.

Brenda

Janet said...

Great job of refurbishing these dresses - they certainlyare god-loking fabrics!

Janet P

Brenda Savage said...

Thanks Janet, I was SO happy my friend thought of me when she found these dresses. I love the fabrics too. I still have one dress to redo, but having trouble figuring out how to use it. Stay tuned!

Maryn said...

Wow! These are amazing and adorable transformations! I know your friend Joanne is thrilled that you were able to make them work for your dolls.

Brenda Savage said...

Thank you Maryn,
I am the one who was thrilled, but yes, Joanne was happy I could make them work for my Ann. It is so wonderful having been gifted these old dresses that are so precious. I feel very fortunate!
Hugs
Brenda