My Dolls Click image to go to post

My Dolls Click image to go to post
Click image to see my favorite dolls. Email me at: thesavagedollblog@gmail.com

Saturday, May 25, 2019

1953 Effanbee Honey 16" Doll restoration

I saw this sweet girl the other day while browsing eBay.
She is a 1953 Effanbee Honey 16" hard plastic doll.
The eBay ad said she was purchased at an Estate Sale and
The lady said she'd had this doll since she was a girl.

 Here she is right after she arrived here.
She has her original dress!

Oh dear! Someone tried to use red nail polish to fix her lips!

 and her fingernails!

and her toenails! Oh no!

Remember to always use non-acetone nail polish to fix
nail polish mistakes.
Acetone can melt your doll!

After the worst of the nail polish was off
it was time for a wash and brush.
Here is her back mark. There is another on her head
underneath her hair in back.

Getting shampooed.

This curl is strong, even wet it doesn't flatten.

Here are her dress and slip. The slip
is a onesie style common to Effanbee.

I regularly handwash vintage doll clothes. It's not
dangerous to the fabric and I find it helps the fabric
by removing years of built-up dust.
Just be sure to use a gentle soap like 
Woolite, dawn dish soap or Fels-naptha.
in COLD WATER!
Don't scrub, just swish.

Here she is freshly washed and brushed.
As I removed the nail polish from her lips
I found a layer of paint covering up - guess what?

More nail polish that had been put on her cheeks!

As I was working on her hair she was so floppy
I decided to restring her.
She had been restrung at some point in the past with 
sewing elastic and it had lost all its elasticity.

Luckily she was a simple 5 point restring.
I start by looping the elastic through the 
head hook.
Then you catch the arms.  Then the legs.
I tie the elastic tight and insert the knot into 
the body by the leg hole.

Next I needed to do some cover-up work on her cheeks.
She also needed her eyebrows darkened.

Here she is after a second hair brushing
with an anti-frizz serum and some cover-up
paint on her cheeks.  I also repainted her lips.

She now has more shine in her curls.

While Honey's original dress is drying, I tried on some
other dresses and outfits to see if I had anything 
to add to her wardrobe.
Here's the hankie pinafore dress,
but honestly it doesn't do much for her.

This little dress is better.  I also found
some play shoes that fit her!

I actually have 3 pair of shoes that fit her.
I bought the pink shoes hoping they'd fit my 
Patsy Jr. twins, but they were too tight.

 
Here are two little outfits for a day at the beach.

 Here is a sweet pink and blue dress.
Pink and blue are definitely her colors!

Her dress and pinafore are now dry.
So on to replacing the elastic in her dress sleeves.

This is what I do if I don't want to tear 
open a sleeve to machine stitch
I measure a length of elastic around her forearm.
I cut with a little overlap in length, then 
using a needle and thread, I stitch the loop closed.

Next I find a box or piece of cardboard just a bit smaller
around than the sleeve, so the elastic is stretched.

I use the original stitch holes as a guide and 
hand stitch the sleeve to the stretched elastic.
 I had to gather the fabric as I went along since
the sleeve was wider than the box.

 DONE!

As you can see Honey's dress has blue ribbon 
running through the underside.
I knew the dress originally had blue trim 
when it was new.  I picked some blue 
ribbon for a sash and sleeve bows.
I happened to have these vintage flowers
so I decided I would use them as well.

ARE YOU READY TO SEE?

Honey BEFORE...

AND...

HERE SHE IS!!

AFTER

Here is her side by side.
After I restore a doll like Honey I wish I could show
her photo to the lady who had kept her all these years.

 When I purchased Honey, I had intended to resell her, but
 I think Honey is going to be added to our doll family.
She will now be called CINDY!

Want to see her room?

A pretty sweet room, for a sweet girl.


And a bunny of her own to cuddle.

19 comments:

Brenda Savage said...

Thank you Sandra! I love giving old dolls a second life. I must admit I fell in love with this little girl. I had meant her to be a resell doll! Ah well. Haha!

Dorothy In PA said...

Oh my goodness, she is lovely! You are definitely the Doll Whisper (laugh).
How did you get her hair to curl so nicely? I recently purchased a Gotz Happy Kidz girl who had her hair cut by a previous owner. It also had gunk in it. I washed it and tried to style it but it didn't hold the curl.
I think Honey has found a permanent place in your home and heart.

Anonymous said...

Brenda you did a wonderful job on Honey. She looks beautiful.
Joan

Anonymous said...

What a wonderful job you did with Honey. Congratulations.
Marion

Anonymous said...

I love that pink and blue dress. Great job. Honey is a beauty!
Marilyn

Janet said...

This is a doll whose size I like very much, I love what you did to Honey - such a sweet girl she deserves to look her best. She sure does have marvelous hair!
Janet

MyFarmhouseBlue said...

What a wonderful transformation! You always do such great work on your dolls. Love the sewing tips too. :o)
~Carolyn

Brenda Savage said...

Thank you Dorothy! I just fell in love with this little girl. I really like the 16" - 14" dolls. Honey has mohair, which is a natural animal fiber. Her hair looks just like friends I have with natural curl. I used a L'oreal anti-frizz serum (very oily!) and brushed her curls around a pencil with a tiny doll brush. Did you ever see your mom or grandma make pin curls by brushing the hair around their finger? Same idea.

I looked up the Gotz doll you mentioned. I'm not certain what kind of hair they have. I would assume it is synthetic. There are lots of online tutorials to fix doll hair. Do a search for fixing synthetic doll hair. Also look up "boil perm" to curl synthetic doll hair.

Brenda Savage said...

Thank you Joan! I love how Honey turned out. I surprise myself sometimes.

Brenda Savage said...

Thank you Marion! I had decided, no more adding dolls to my collection, HAHA! I really did think she'd be a resell doll.

Brenda Savage said...

Thank you Marilyn, Honey definitely looks very sweet in pink and blue. It is such a stroke of luck to get a doll this age in her original outfit.

Brenda Savage said...

Thank you Janet! I love Honey's size and her curly hair. I admit she turned out much better than I anticipated. She is a great addition to my doll family. : )

Brenda Savage said...

Thank you Carolyn! I am so pleased with how Honey turned out. I wish the lady she used to belong to could see her!

clio rivera said...

Buenas noches; lindo trabajo, me encantó, yo tengo una effanbee , no sé el año, la compre en una feria, está como craquelada , he visto en internet que se le pasa una lija finita , pienso que puede ser de los años 60' , tiene una peluca de cabello corto, la peluca tenía una etiqueta tenía una marca ( no recuerdo la marca ) , pero cuando busqué en internet , decía que era una marca japonesa de pelo sintético , gracias , saludos

Savagebd said...

Hi Clio, for my English readers I have added a translation of your comment. It is:

Good evening; nice job, I loved it, I have an effanbee, I don't know the year, I buy it at a fair, it's like cracking, I've seen on the internet that you pass a finite sandpaper, I think it may be from the 60s', it has a wig of short hair, the wig had a label had an m ark (I don't remember the brand), but when I searched the internet, I said it was a Japanese brand of synthetic hair, thank you, greetings, Clio

Clio, thank you for stopping by! I am not sure which doll you have but I think ALL Effanbee dolls are ADORABLE! They have a special place in my heart - as you can see from this blog! If the skin is cracking, it may be that you have a composition doll, this means she is more from the 1930s or 1940s. If you can send me a photo at thesavagedollblog@gmail.com I can tell you which doll you have and what year.

Hope to hear from you soon.

Brenda

Anonymous said...

Hi Brenda,
Great job! What shampoo did you use? Also, can you please show how you styled/curled her hair? She looks dynamite! Also, what paint did you use? She looks incredible!

Savagebd said...

Hi, Thank you!

I think I used a synthetic hair shampoo (or wig shampoo) I purchase from a beauty supply shop. It is what I use on all my doll's hair. Her hair is mohair and it curls naturally. I did use a anti-frizz treatment but not sure how good a job it did. I always use acrylic paint for my dolls faces.

Brenda

Unknown said...

Happy to see you have found this very special girl. I have a Honey girl too. She is 19 inches tall and came with hair dyes. I received her for Christmas from my aunt in 1952. I have pictures of me holding her in front of the Christmas tree. She has always been my favorite. I made many beautiful outfits for her.
I have another special doll (from the same aunt) who is an R&B 24 inch walking bride doll. I recently brought her back to life by washing and shampooing her and washing her ironing her beautiful gown.
Janice (in CT)

Savagebd said...

Thank you Janice,

Wow! I am always so happy to hear about dolls that have been with you since childhood. I think these Effanbee dolls are so sweet and have such sweet expressions! I too enjoy bringing dolls back to life by freshening them up. It's amazing what a different a good wash can make for doll clothes and hte dolls themselves. I think a lot of people are afraid to clean up their dolls for fear of damaging them. One of the reasons I started this blog was to show that most dolls and their clothes can be cleaned and refreshed.
Hugs
Brenda