My Dolls Click image to go to post

My Dolls Click image to go to post
Click image to see my favorite dolls. Email me at: thesavagedollblog@gmail.com

Sunday, May 12, 2019

Elise Dress Makeover

Awhile back I found this Navy Taffeta dress on eBay.
I had hoped it would fit Elise, since she didn't have many dresses.
As you can see it is just slightly too big.
Probably made for a 17" doll.

 The bodice was loose, the sleeves were too big.
and the dress was floor length.
Well, I finally got around to fitting this dress to Elise!

First thing I did was turn the dress inside out
and put it on Elise.  Then I pinned the dress seam
on Elise until it fit snug. Then I sew along my pin line.

For the hem I turned up about 1 inch, then pressed it.

Then I hand sewed with small stitches all the way around.
Here is the new hem.

The dress needed some color, so I decided to make a sash.

It's a length of ribbon folded into loops and stitched.
I used a snap to fasten.

I removed the white buttons and replaced them with
some vintage rhinestone buttons I found.

I like the oversize collar.  I have seen 1950s desses
with this look, so I didn't alter it.

I also added a button to each sleeve.

 AND HERE IS ELISE'S NEW DRESS!!



I made her a new bandeau.

 She looks ready for a 4th of July party.
Very pretty Elise!

BEFORE     and   AFTER

8 comments:

Dorothy In PA said...

Wow, she is runway gorgeous! I like the pops of red. I would not have thought to do that.

Brenda Savage said...

Thank you Dorothy! I'm glad you like what I came up with. I knew the dress needed some color, it is so dark. It encourages me to have such positive feedback. Thanks!

Becky in IL said...

Oh Brenda,

Elise looks so lovely in her updated dress. The bandeau was what really caught my attention. It's so attractive on her but the dress is brings out her elegance. I can't thank you enough for returning to the blog world. I find all of your entries so exciting and inspiring. They make me so very happy for you and your dolls.

Brenda Savage said...

Thank you Becky! I am pleased with this project. This blog brings me a lot of satisfaction. I'm glad you enjoy it as well!

MyFarmhouseBlue said...

Wow! I would have never guessed this was the same dress! Amazing transformation! :o)

Brenda Savage said...

Thank you! I am gratified to think I made such a difference in this dress! I love a makeover!

Janet said...

I love the remodel - the snazzy buttons and red accents are just the ticket! Elise looks so elegant- and now the dress doesn't overpower her.

I just found your blog and will go back to read some older posts to enjoy them

Janet

Brenda Savage said...

I'm so glad you found us! We love comments. I am happy you like what I did with Elise's dress. Many Elise, Cissette and Cissy outfits have these oversize sashs. That's what gave me the idea. I'm pretty happy with how it all came out.