My Dolls Click image to go to post

My Dolls Click image to go to post
Click image to see my favorite dolls. Email me at: thesavagedollblog@gmail.com

Wednesday, August 07, 2019

Doll Dress Fun!

I recently found these 3 vintage outfits.
I believe they were hand made from flour sack fabric.

First are these two Baby Doll Dresses.
The fabrics looked like they came from the 1940s?
This first dress with a Fall color pattern 

And this blue print dress.

The dresses were hand made, but a little plain.

But, I liked the style of the dresses.
SO! I decided to see what I could do to give them
a little more charm.

Here are the results.


I added some gros-grain ribbon and some little
bumblebee buttons to the Fall colored dress.

Not a huge change, but I think very sweet!
This dress will be sent to my friend for her Puddin.
She really loves Fall so I thought of her.

The blue dress I added some vintage lace 
and some pink ribbons.

Very Sweet!
Now, this next jumper is a mystery to me.

The fabric is adorable.

But it is shapeless and ill-fitting.
It is a flat garment with no gathers.

There are also tears in both legs.

What to do?
MAKEOVER!!!

I used some linen and made a collar.
I'm hoping this will give the garment more interest.
Here are the collar pieces ready to be attached.

I had to make the neck area larger by cutting it out a bit.
I also decided to make this a short sun dress with bloomers.

You can see here these outfits were all hand-stitched!

Here is the remade sun dress.
I used the same linen to create a cuff on the pocket.

I also shortened the sleeves slightly to fit better.

Looking sweet Puddin!

17 comments:

lil red hen said...

All the dresses are very pretty, but the jumper is an outstanding transformation! You must have a lot of fun with this work.

MyFarmhouseBlue said...

Brenda, you turned already cute dresses and jumper into so much more adorable garments! I love seeing makeovers, but I admit I'm a little jealous because I can't sew. What a blessing to have such wonderful skills and adorable little models to sew for. :o)
Blessings!
~Carolyn

Dorothy In PA said...

Brenda, first your "model" is adorable. I can just hear her saying "yes, Mama, you may put these pretty dresses on me." I bet you didn't even have to bribe her with cookies (laugh).

The outfits are so cute. You added just the right touches.

Brenda Savage said...

Thank you lil red hen. I do love makeovers! It is my favorite thing. Taking something that is not useful, or pretty and making it so.

Brenda Savage said...

Thank you Carolyn, I really enjoy what I do. Making things new is my greatest pleasure. Puddin loves her new dresses and always likes to model for me. As a girl my greatest wish was to have more than one extra dress for my dolls. That wish has come true abundantly!

Brenda Savage said...

Thank you Sew Special, I love finding these type dresses, lovingly hand made by someone long ago. Instead of ending up in a recycling center, they are now a great addition to the doll collecting world. I like to think that this was the hope of whoever had to part with these adorable dresses. :)

Brenda Savage said...

Thank you Dorothy! Yes, Puddin is a very cooperative and sweet girl. She never complains at all. ;) I try to respect the era that these dresses came from and make changes that are appropriate. The jumper was sadly a loss with the torn legs, but the sundress transformation worked well I think.

Anonymous said...

Very pretty Brenda. Love all of them.
Joan

Brenda Savage said...

Thank you Joan, I really like getting positive feedback. I constantly second guess myself! I'm glad you like what I did.

Anonymous said...

Brenda you never cease to amaze me with your talent and ingenuity. The outfits are even prettier thanks to you.
Marilyn

Anonymous said...

The dresses are so pretty. You did a wonderful job. My favorite is the blue and yellow sun dress.
Marion

Brenda Savage said...

Thank you Marilyn, I enjoyed giving these dresses a little lift. I an hoping I get a picture of my friend's Puddin wearing the Fall dress!

Brenda Savage said...

Thank you Marion, I am very happy with how these dresses came out. I like the blue and yellow one too - so sweet!

Janet said...

Each dress was sweet, and your creative touches really brought out their charm. I love the blue and white one - and the transformation of the "jumper" is astonishing - great job!

Janet

Savagebd said...

Thank you Janet! I am pleased with the jumper makeover. It turned out better than I anticipated.

Anonymous said...

Can you tell me what size baby clothes you bought for puddin please? Mine will need new hair I really wore hers out I’m afraid.Penny Pfizenmaier

Brenda Savage said...

Hi Penny,
Puddin wears 3-6 months size baby clothes. I find a lot of great items at thrift stores for my Puddin dolls. I got another Puddin with brown hair since this post!
https://thesavagepea.blogspot.com/2020/06/a-new-puddin.html

Hugs
Brenda