My Dolls Click image to go to post

My Dolls Click image to go to post
Click image to see my favorite dolls. Email me at: thesavagedollblog@gmail.com

Friday, June 04, 2021

A New Friend's Doll

 I recieved the nicest email recently. My new doll friend Barbara wanted 

to share about a doll she had found and restored.  

WELL! You all know how much I enjoy doll restoration stories!

It seems Barbara was wandering through an antique shop.
(One of my favorite things to do)
Barbara saw a doll with no arms, but with such a sweet smile.
Barbara left the doll behind, but couldn't stop thinking about her.

After a few days Barbara returned to the shop and
asked the owner about the doll with no arms.
The lady said another customer was 
interested in making the armless
doll into a creepy Halloween doll! 

If you've never seen a 'creepy doll', it is when someone
 repaints a doll to look like a horrible dead thing. 
The doll then becomes a Halloween decoration.
I was going to add a 'creepy doll' picture but 
they are too sad and disturbing!

WELL, this little girl went home with Barbara!
She is a 17" Mary-Lu Walker Doll.
She is a hard plastic doll made by
Doll Bodies Inc. from the 1940s - 50s.

Barbara found some clothes from her Cissy doll
to share with Mary-Lu.
BUT 
Mary-Lu needed arms!

After a long search online Barbara finally found 
some new arms for Mary-Lu! 
Look how happy Mary-Lu looks.

After getting new arms, Mary-Lu got some new 
lingerie and a fun wardrobe of clothes.

Here is Mary-Lu in her new dress and shoes.
Such a happy smile!

Barbara knew she needed to find Mary-Lu a
new home.  Luckily a friend of hers fell in love
with Mary-Lou and took her home.

And Mary-Lu lived
HAPPILY EVER AFTER!

9 comments:

Jenny said...

Another successful rescue! I love that!
Jenny :-)

Anna said...

Hi Brenda and Barbara,
I'm glad Mary-Lu has found a new home. She looks loved now.
I hate seeing once loved dolls discarded or turned into creepy
decorations.
Well done Barbara, Mary-Lu is a wonderful find.
Anna

Brenda Savage said...

Thank you Jenny,
Yes I loved this rescue story. Barbara emailed me and I asked if I could share her story. I loved it so much.
Hugs
Brenda

Brenda Savage said...

Thank you Anna,
I agree Mary-Lu was a great save. Whenever I see pictures of those creepy dolls I want to scrub them clean and restore them.
Barbara did an amazing job. I’m so glad she went back.
Hugs
Brenda

Maryn said...

What a sweet story! Thank you for sharing Mary-Lu's story and pictures--and thank you to Barbara for rescuing this beauty!

Brenda Savage said...

Thank you Maryn,
I too really enjoyed Barbara’s pictures and story about Mary-Lu. I’m grateful that Barbara went back to save her.
Hugs
Brenda

Brenda Savage said...

Thank you Sandra,
You know how I love finding and fixing dolls. I was so pleased that Barbara shared this story with me.
How exciting for you to have a new AG doll! I would love to see her too!
Hugs
Brenda

Janet said...

Hello Brenda,

I am so happy that Barbara took Mary-Lu in and gave her arms, and lots of love. Mary-Lu certainly deserves to be loved, and not a Halloween creepy doll!

I once had a doll very much like Mry0Lu, and it brought back some warm memories!
Thank you for sharing this story, and a big thank you to Barbara for her rescue of a darling doll!

Janet

Brenda Savage said...

Thank you Janet,
I too was so happy to hear about Mary-lu’s brush with becoming a creepy doll. I thought this was such a nice restoration story that I wanted to share it.
Hugs
Brenda