My Dolls Click image to go to post

My Dolls Click image to go to post
Click image to see my favorite dolls. Email me at: thesavagedollblog@gmail.com

Saturday, May 29, 2021

Bathing Beauties

This is my Mary Hoyer doll, Annie.
She is wearing a knit swimsuit made
 from a vintage Mary Hoyer pattern. 
This swimsuit was made by my friend Janet.

This is my Mary Hoyer doll, Nina.
Nina and Annie decided the seagreen suit looked best 
on Annie, but what would Nina wear to the beach?

I decided to try crocheting a bathing suit.
This is what I came up with.

The bottoms are little shorts
with an added skirt.
Nina really likes her new suit.

Here they are together.
Next we just need to put together
some beach-going items.

They would definitely need a beach blanket
I "borrowed" a new shop towel from 
my husband's wood shop.
I decided to add these two vintage 
Rick Rack in blue and pink.

Here is the beach blanket with Rick Rack.
Now the girls need some beach chairs.

I wanted to mimic these vintage 1950s beach chairs.

I cut some long lengths of cardboard and chose a fabric.

I glued the fabric to my cardboard with my Tacky Glue.

I folded the extra length of fabric under and glued it down.

Both these girls are a little fair, so they needed sunhats.
I pick up these 5" coasters whenever I see them.

I push my thumb into the centers to make a cone shape.

Decorate with flowers and VOILA!

I hot-glued string elastic under the brim to keep
their hats from blowing off.

Well, I think the girls are ready for a day
at the beach.  Blanket, chairs, books, snacks
and BUSTER!

OH no! Buster, dogs aren't allowed on the beach.
Sorry buddy.

On their way to find a spot the girls snapped 
some photos on the rocks.
"Take my picture Nina!"

"Now me!"

"How about here?"

"This is a great spot!" 

"This looks great, besides I'm tired."

"Zzzzzzzz..."
(I hope they put on sunscreen!)

Here are some more photos of the Bathing Beauties

Annie in the seagreen suit.

Nina in the pink tankini with skirt.

Together these girls are two bathing beauties.

Greetings from Nina and Annie!

14 comments:

Susan in PA said...

I really enjoyed seeing your girls dressed for the beach. You are very creative. The hat and chair ideas are something that I can try.
Susan in PA

Brenda Savage said...

Thank you Susan,
I am so glad you enjoyed what I made. I love playing dolls. That's why I started this blog to share with other doll friends.
Hugs
Brenda

Jenny said...

Wonderful as always, Brenda! I had not thought about using coasters as doll hats. I have re-made other hats by soaking to reshape, or disassembling partially, then reshaping. I just love the girls' swimsuits, although I am more a fan of knit fabrics. That little flippy skirt tankini is precious in pink, though!
Hugs,
Jenny :-)

Brenda Savage said...

Thank you Jenny,
I am always thinking of ways to use everyday items for dolls. The coasters are better for smaller dolls. I am very happy with my tankini. This is one time when forging ahead with no plan worked out! haha
Hugs
Brenda

Anna said...

Hi Brenda,
I love the things you have been making. Their swimsuits are so cute. They are lucky girls living close to a beach. We are heading into winter and it's cold wet and miserable today.
I'm going to look forward to summer though and try and find some coasters today to try out the hat making. Thanks for more wonderful ideas.
Anna

Brenda Savage said...

Thank you Anna,
That’s right your seasons are opposite to ours. I had a lot of fun with this post. I am enjoying creating outfits and accessories for the girls.
I hope you can get cozy and warm
Hugs
Brenda

Janet said...

Both Annie and Nina look marvelous in their new swimsuit, Good idea to have then wear a big hat to protect their faces from the sun!

did you glue the rick rack onto the towel? I should have thought of that, the last time i tried to sew terry cloth it was not successful, the needle got very tangled in the loops!

Janet

Brenda Savage said...

Thank you Janet,
I had so much fun with this post. The Sunday’s were a last minute thought. The Ric Rac is sewn. I didn't have any problem with the needle tangling. I used a zig zag stitch. This is also a very thin towel.
Hugs
Brenda

Maryn said...

So cute!!! I love your beach chairs, as well as the darling suits. Don't know if I've mentioned it but you inspired me to make hats for my AG dolls from woven straw placemats. I've made 3 hats and still have a bit of the woven straw left taht I think I can use to make a small envelope purse.

Thanks for always being an inspiration!

Brenda Savage said...

Thank you Maryn,
I am so gratified that my blog has inspired your creativity. I too have a lot of leftover straw hat pieces that I want to try sewing into other things. Now you’ve inspired me. I had a lot of fun with this post. Glad you enjoyed it!
Hugs
Brenda

Jennifer said...

This was the cutest post. I really like that flirty pink two piece. Great idea with the coasters and the beach chairs. I enjoy seeing your creativity tonight. Thanks!

Bee said...

I just love your site don't stop you inspire me, Im off to get display board to give it a try.

Brenda Savage said...

Thank you Bee,
I am so pleased you enjoy my blog. I started it just to hare and inspire other doll collectors. Most of the ideas I share are not hard. If I can do it anyone can!
Hugs
Brenda

Brenda Savage said...

Thank you Jennifer,
I must admit I am pleased with how the two-piece came out. The crochet is a bit bulkier than knitting, so I decided early on that I needed to change course from the one-piece I was trying to replicate. The coasters I have used for awhile to make doll hats. They work best for 14" dolls or smaller.
Thanks for stopping by!
Hugs
Brenda