My Dolls Click image to go to post

My Dolls Click image to go to post
Click image to see my favorite dolls. Email me at: thesavagedollblog@gmail.com

Friday, July 23, 2021

1937 McGuffey Ana Doll

This is a pristine McGuffey Ana doll
from the 1930s. 
She is 13" tall made
of composition 
by Madame Alexander

This doll is named after children
who appearred in the 
McGuffey Reader series.

These reading primers were used
in schools from the 1850s through 
the early 1900s.

Written by William Holmes McGuffey.

This is my 1937 McGuffey Ana doll.
It took me a little time to figure out who she was.

This barely visible circle shape is
what's left of her neck mark.

I found this photo showing a much clearer 
image of the McGuffey Ana marks.
A "13" on her back and a 
"circle +" on her neck.

While I am pleased with my Ana and
happy with her transformation,
She still has some issues.
(don't we all?)

Someone in her past had painted her feet brown.
(I know, what were they thinking?)

And, her right eye had no lashes.

I sanded her legs and feet, until I felt
they would accept a coat of paint.
On a close inspection it was obvious
her legs had a lot of repair work.
(I didn't want to pry)

I painted her legs and feet, and
finished with a coat of glossy varnish.
Not perfect, but an improvement.

ON TO LASHES!
A helpful reader Frieda, suggested this
paintbrush technique for lashes.

You use a paintbrush with similar
color bristles to your doll's 
lashes.

You swipe a thin line of white glue
along the brush and press into
the lash crevice. 

I was nervous about where the lashes would
end up, luckily it all worked pretty well.
But, I still needed to fill in each side.

For fill-ins for each side I trimmed
the brush so it was much thinner.
Then I wisped the bristles in the white 
glue and let it dry creating a line
of bristles held together with glue. 

 I trimmed the bristle/lash from off the brush.
Now I could trim a very straight line
while holding all the lash hairs together.

I pulled apart the lash I had made
into small sections. Using tweezers
I carefully glued these into 
the lash crevices on each side.
If I ever do this again, I'll start with this.

Here are the fill-ins on each side
while they were drying.

WHEW!

I used tiny cuticle scissors to 
trim her new eyelashes.
I'm very pleased!
Thank you Frieda!

Want to see Ana in a couple more outfits?
I DO!

This is a little playsuit that I have
had in the doll dresser for awhile!

It suits Ana and her cherry hat looks cute with it.

Ana borrowed this little dress 
from her Mary Hoyer sisters.

McGuffey Ana dolls are usually shown
wearing a puff sleeve dress with 
a pinafore and matching hat.
Until I get some sewing done for her
this is an adorable look for her.

While McGuffey Ana dolls are usually
shown with  braids, my Ana said
she likes her new curls.

Look what else I found for Ana.
A lovely nightgown.

Welcome home Ana!!

OH WAIT!!

Look what I found on Etsy!
A tiny McGuffey reader for Ana.
It is on it's way right now!

Thanks for stopping by!

20 comments:

Anna said...

Hi Brenda, Ana looks beautiful with all her different clothes. You have done a wonderful job of restoring her. I have always wondered how to do replace eyelashes and never thought of using a paintbrush.
She is such a pretty doll now.
Anna

Maryn said...

What an awesome job on those eyelashes! I've read about the paintbrush technique but couldn't picture how it would really work. Thanks for the great pictures!

I'm sure she's much happier with her new leg paint, and her outfits are super-cute!

Brenda Savage said...

Thank you Anna,
I am so pleased with Ana and all her outfits. Thanks to Frieda for the suggestion about paintbrush lashes. I
Hugs
Brenda

Brenda Savage said...

Thank you Maryn,
This was my first try with the lashes. I was nervous but it all turned out great. I had a few pieces of clothing that didn’t suit my other dolls but, for some reason, I kept them.
They are perfect for Ana!
Hugs
Brenda

Jenny said...

Brenda, thanks so much for this post! I also appreciate seeing the lash replacement process that I have only heard about over the years; I have not yet attempted it myself! I like knowing I can get a McGuffy Reader for my porcelain MA McGuffy Ana repro, which I found at Value Village for %15!! I don't typically collect modern porcelain dolls, but she is special, and complete.
Jenny :-)

Brenda Savage said...

Thank you Jenny,
I was nervous trying this lash replacement method, but it worked great. Next time I’ll create the lash first. It was easier to work with. I love my mini McGuffey reader! It is perfect. My book is 1:4 size for a 14” doll. I think it comes in different sizes.
Hugs
Brenda

Anonymous said...

Ana is adorable. She looks so much better,thanks to your skills.
Marilyn

Anonymous said...

I love Ana in her new outfits. She looks so pretty. Brenda, you did a great repair job.
Joan

Anonymous said...

Brenda, once again you succeeded in transforming a doll into a beauty. Ana is lovely. You did such a great job with the make overs. Thank you for sharing Ana. I am sure Ana will be delighted to have her very own book.
Marion

Brenda Savage said...

Thank you Marilyn,
You know how I love makeovers. I am pleased as punch with Ana.
Hugs
Brenda

Brenda Savage said...

Thank you Joan,
I am happy to finally have a doll that fits in these outfits.
Hugs
Brenda

Brenda Savage said...

Thank you Marion,
I do love a good makeover as you well know. The little book arrived today and it is perfect! I will save it for a back to school post.
Hugs
Brenda

Zacisze Lenki said...

Beautiful creations. I am full of admiration for your talent, you have renewed it wonderfully. Hugs

Brenda Savage said...

Thank you Zacisze,
I am happy with this doll. She turned out lovely. Thank you for stopping in.
Hugs
Brenda

Dorothy In PA said...

Another doll rescue and transformation. She looks so pretty now.

You are officially the Doll Whisperer (smile).

Brenda Savage said...

Thank you Dorothy,
She is quite pretty. I am so pleased with this little girl.
Hugs
Brenda

Janet said...

Hi Brenda,

Not only did you do a lovely transformation on the McGuffey Ana, you've opened my eyes to doll I knew nothing about. She's such an interesting girl.
I love composition dolls, so glad you've saved her! And I learned something new.

Janet

Brenda Savage said...

Thank you Janet,
I really fell in love with this little girl. I enjoy dolls that have a story or a history about them. I find them so much more interest. I’m so happy I went back to the antique shop and brought her home.
Hugs
Brenda

Susan J in IL said...

Omigosh, Brenda - it has been awhile since I've visited your site, and there's so much 'wonderfulness' to take in! I agree with Dorothy - you ARE a doll whisperer...your McGuffey Ana clearly spoke to you! She is such a lovely little girl, and the clothing you've found for her is perfect! I actually have my mom's childhood McGuffey Ana doll, which is in need of some pretty minor repairs (restringing, for sure!) but is otherwise in fine fettle. You've inspired me to advance her to the top of my list of 'next projects'.

Susan J. in IL

Brenda Savage said...

Thank you Susan,
I am SO pleasesd that my Ana has inspired you to work on your mom's Ana. They are such sweet dolls! Their countenance is precious. I hope you can share a photo or two of your Ana doll before and after?
HUgs
Brenda