My Dolls Click image to go to post

My Dolls Click image to go to post
Click image to see my favorite dolls. Email me at: thesavagedollblog@gmail.com

Tuesday, August 03, 2021

Little Miss Revlon Camper

Many of you already knew that my husband
is a woodworker.
He has helped me restore and build many
of my doll projects.

Here he is restoring my grandmother's
antique doll cradle.

This lovely antique is now Ann's bed.

He recently finished building this
Mahagony camper.
(Yes, Mahogany!)

Here is the inside.

The back opens up and there is a galley.

BUT

What does this have to do with dolls??

WELL!
I wanted to make a doll size trailer.


This is how I started.
Yes, cardboard!

This little camper from the 1950s 
was my model.

Julia is testing out the height.

This little table is a piece of my husband's camper!

After the glue was dry I used 
contact paper to cover
my camper.  Then I used
silver duct tape for trim.

The inside is shaping up!
It's a bit tricky fitting things
to the curves of the trailer.

Here is the seat covered in
coordinating fabric, plus a pillow.
You can also see I made
an edge on the table with the duct tape.

Cardboard, washers, wood print paper and
duct tape will become my cook top.
PLUS lots of hotglue.
(whew)

Here's the cooktop!
(don't look too close)

The bed is covered in thin batting.
A rectangle of foam made the pillow.

At this point I made up a bunch of accessories.
I also made a trip to the craft store
and picked up some accessories
from the dollhouse aisle.


Want to see the finished trailer?

HERE


IT


IS!!



This is the exterior.

And here is the interior.

Sleeping area.

Kitchen and banquet.

I love this little table!

A closer look at the accessories.

The girls are thrilled!
They can't wait for their 
first camping trip!

OK, who built it better?


13 comments:

Anna said...

Hi Brenda,
Both you and your husband are talented.
I love all the little details for the girls. The yellow bed cover is so pretty and the table is perfect! I know the girls will enjoy a holiday away.
I hope you get a holiday too in the real camper. It is stunning. Your husband must have spent hours and hours making it.
Anna

Brenda Savage said...

Thank you Anna,
We both had fun making our campers. I must say that my husband’s took about 500 hours while mine only took 5.
I am planning a camping trip for the girls soon.
Hugs
Brenda

Jennifer said...

Beautiful campers. You are both creative and talented.

Brenda Savage said...

Thank you Jennifer,
We both love the building/creative process. I think I have more fun, but my husband would disagree.
Hugs
Brenda

Janet said...

Your husband is talented, and his finished camper is work of art. Your canoer is clever and very well coordinated. I like how you used the duct tape
in so many ways.

I love the choice of fabrics - color scheme is wonderful - bright and cheerful -I hope the dolls have a fun time using thsi!

Janet

Brenda Savage said...

Thank you Janet,
My husband is very talented. I love his camper it is really beautiful. While the doll camper is hardly to be compared I think the dolls will have a lot of fun with it. I really just made it all on the fly, haha!
Hugs
Brenda

Brenda Savage said...

Thank you Linda,
I agree my husbands camper is amazing. I wish you could feel how smooth the finish is. I tried to catch the 1950s style for my little camper project. I’m glad you think I did a good job. It was a lot of fun.
Hugs
Brenda

Maryn said...

Super-cute! Both of you are very talented!

Brenda Savage said...

Thank you Maryn,
We both love creating and building.
Hugs
Brenda

Dorothy In PA said...

Dear Brenda, it's a tie!

It must be wonderful to share ideas with another creative person. You both are so talented.

I look forward to reading about dolly adventures in the new camper.

Brenda Savage said...

Thank you Dorothy,
We do have fun collaborating on projects. He gives me structural hints and helps me glue and clamp.
Stay tuned, doll camping adventures are on the way!
Hugs
Brenda

Susan J in IL said...

Wow! I'm not going to choose between campers - they are both truly works of art... That camper your husband built is pure genius - what a lovely traveling home! His craftsmanship is incredible; this is like a piece of fine furniture.
You have the luckiest Little Miss Revlons on the planet, hands down. That camper is just amazing. Inside and out, it is perfect! I just love the layout - you thought of EVERYTHING! All of the details are wonderful. (I agree with Janet - the color scheme is perfect and so cheery... who wouldn't want to go glamping with these two in such fine accommodations!)

Brenda Savage said...

Thank you Susan,
My husband is the real craftsman in this story. He is an amazing woodworker. It really brings him joy.
I had so much fun with my doll-size project. I have always wanted a vintage camper to restore and decorate. This camper was definitely simpler and easier than the real thing.
Hugs
Brenda