My Dolls Click image to go to post

My Dolls Click image to go to post
Click image to see my favorite dolls. Email me at: thesavagedollblog@gmail.com

Monday, March 27, 2023

1950s Tiny Betsy McCall

 My family recently took a trip to St. George, Utah to visit family.  

While there, the ladies went antiquing and 

lo and behold I found this little girl!

She is a vintage, 1950s era 8" Betsy McCall doll.
She has her original shoes, dress and bloomers.

Sadly her head was not attached!
Poor baby. BUT! She has amazing
bright color on her face.

As soon as we got back home I reattached her head.

Next she needed her hair washed.
She has a wig, so I was very gentle.
Click link for shampoo:

Using the "Heads Up Styler Conditioner"
Her hair came out very shiny.

Here she is all fresh and clean and ready to 
show off some outfits!

These are all outfits I've made for
Sophie, my repro Betsy McCall.
(Sophie is happy to share)

This black, and white check jacket and
dress I made to echo the below original...

Betsy McCall, black and white 
check dress and jacket set.
(It's on my wish list!)

A little spring dress.

School outfit: pleated skirt and sweater.
with matching book bag.

Another school outfit:  knit dress with 
crochet hat, vest and wool boots.

A spring outfit with a crochet top...

And the same capris with a
second crochet sweater.

Sophie and I would like to introduce...

Melanie

Welcome Melanie to the 
Savage Pea.

18 comments:

Brenda Savage said...

Hi Sandra,
Thank you, I am so happy with Melanie. She is a great addition to my collection. I have restrung many larger dolls. Restringing such a tiny doll had its challenges, but I got her fixed in the end. I was fortunate to have a few outfits for an 8" Betsy already made.
Hugs
Brenda

Zacisze Lenki said...

Cute doll. You have a beautiful wardrobe for her. Hugs

Maryn said...

Melanie is adorable! And you are amazing to see the potential in some of these TLC dolls!

Where can I find the Heads Up doll shampoo and conditioner? I have an American Girl doll whose hair needs some attention.

Brenda Savage said...

Hi Zacisze Lenki,
Thank you! I do like this doll so much. She is so sweet. I made the wardrobe myself!
Hugs
Brenda

Brenda Savage said...

Hi Sandra,
I should link to my hair care post! If you do a search online their products cone up.
Hugs
Brenda

Brenda Savage said...

Hi Maryn,
Thank you! I do love finding these dolls that need help. I do love this little Betsy.
You can find these doll shampoos online, just search for “Heads Up Doll Shampoos “
Hugs
Brenda

Anna said...

Hi Brenda,
Melanie looks beautiful. You would never guess the difference in Sophie and Melanie's ages, when you see them together. They both look brand new!
Hope you are well
Anna

Brenda Savage said...

Hi Anna,
Thank you! You know you are right. Melanie has such great color. I think she must have been stored somewhere. Her hair is also in great condition. She must not have been played with a lot. I feel very fortunate to have found her. We are all well, thank you.
Hugs
Brenda

Anonymous said...

Welcome Home Melanie. You are in a beautiful and loving family. Melanie you are a beauty. Enjoy and have fun with all your brothers and sisters.
Marion

Anonymous said...

Brenda Melanie is a pretty one. Her clothes are lovely. I have a Betsy McCall. They are the cutest.
Joan

Anonymous said...

Brenda, What a great find. Betsy McCall is a cute doll. Melanie is one lucky young lady to find a home with you and all your beautiful dolls. Melanie will have a lot of friends. Thank You for aharing Melanie and all her lovely outfits she is modeling.
Marilyn

Brenda Savage said...

Hi Marion,
Thank you, we are all so happy to have Melanie here with us. We are making fun plans already!
Hug's
Brenda

Brenda Savage said...

HI Joan,
Thank you! I would love to see a photo of your Betsy! You are right. I love the vintage Betsy McCall dolls, they are so sweet and adorable!
Hugs
Brenda

Brenda Savage said...

Hi Marilyn,
Thank you, I am thrilled to have found Melanie. The antique shop owner put her out near the register after I had walked past. I was leaving the shop when I looked down and saw her! I nearly missed her! I am so happy to have her in our doll family.
Hugs
Brenda

Janet said...

Hello Brenda,

Welcome to Melanie! I a sure TBM Sophie is happy to have her around - a best friend, sister, cousin? I particularly love the school girl outfits you've created - the white pullover and skirt are just the best!

I also have two Tinies, sisters, as them are very alike - but they each have their own taste in clothes, I keep their clothes separate in big Zip loc bags!

I have found sewing for TBMs to be fun - challenging to get the fit just right, but still lots of room for creativity. And so little fabric!

Janet

Brenda Savage said...

Hi Janet,
Thank you! Yes! WE are all so happy to have Melanie with us. For now Melanie is sharing Sophie's clothes, but I need to create her own wardrobe. I am thinking about some sewing projects and some crocheting is also in the works. I have a couple small doll patterns, so I can make her some outfits. I am also looking for some vintage outfits to add to her wardrobe. YOu can be sure I will show everyone what I find!
Hugs
Brenda

Anonymous said...

Absolutely adorable. I have yet to add a Betsy to my collection. I really love the spring crochet top and capris.... well it's all wonderful! Thank you for sharing. Always cozy and inspiring. Jennifer ❤

Brenda Savage said...

Hi Jennifer,
Thank you! I'm so glad you enjoyed my Betsy outfits. The Betsy McCall dolls are SO sweet, SO adorable and SO tiny!! They really hit me on several cuteness levels. I could not walk past this little girl without taking her along with me!
Hugs
Brenda