My Dolls Click image to go to post

My Dolls Click image to go to post
Click image to see my favorite dolls. Email me at: thesavagedollblog@gmail.com

Sunday, March 05, 2023

Doll Quilts and Doll Beds - Updated

I wanted to update my quilt post since I 
have added some quilts and doll beds.

As you come up the stairs to my doll room, 
you can see I have displayed on the stair rail,
 a collection of my family quilts.
This quilt was made by my Great-Great-Grandmother,
Nora Cook, and her best friend,
 who the family called, Aunt Lethea. 
I believe it was stitched in the 1930s.

Each white panel has this lovely leaf pattern.

Here is a a close-up of one of the stars.
Needless to say this quilt is quite precious to me.

I do love quilts, they are so comforting.
Quilts have played a large part in my family.
Grandmothers, Aunts, cousins, there are 
a lot of quilts and quilters.

I always have my eye out for doll-size vintage quilts. 
So, of course, I have several vintage quilts that I 
would enjoy sharing with you!

Most of my vintage doll quilts 
stay in my Patsy doll corner room.

This first quilt hangs behind the dresser
on the wall. It is tied with yarn. Most of these
vintage quilts I found online in groups
or included in vintage doll clothes lots.

This sweet blue quilt is used by my 
two Patsy Joan dolls.

This quilt appears to  be from the 1930s or 40s.
It is also tied with yarn.

I love the cherry fruit pattern fabric on the back!

Joan and Charlotte share this 4 poster.
I found this bed in a thrift store. A lot
of my doll beds were found in
thrift stores or antique shops.

The small quilt on the wall came with some
 quilts and pieces I found online during 
the Covid lock-downs.

Anna's little side-rail bed was found in a thrift store as well.
It is designed to make bunks.  You can see
the spindles have a raised center and the 
legs have a hollow that allows the 
beds to be stacked.

Her quilt was also a lock-down quilt.
It was a long strip of squares that I 
reconstructed into this little quilt.

This next quilt is in the antique doll crib
which I also found in a thrift store.
My reproduction Patsy uses the crib and 
she loves Teddy Bears!

The quilt is yarn tied and appears to be made out of 
fabric from the1930s and 40s.

This pink and blue vintage quilt is
being displayed on an antique doll cot.
I would guess the pink quilt is
from the 1940s.

I love this bed.  I think it is quite old.
 I found it at an Estate sale,
 but not sure if I have a place for it
The mattress area is 24" by 15".

Here is the cot and the blue quilt.
The cot folds over the wire springs.
The quilt is made all of flannel.

Next is a quilt that is used by Patsy Ann in
our antique family doll bed.
This looks like a piece of a larger quilt
that was cut down to be doll sized.

This quilt is used by my Patsy Ann.
Her doll bed originally belonged
to my great grandmother.

Here is the cradle around 1972.
That's me and the china baby my
Grandma hand painted for me.
My Grandfather had 
re-painted the cradle.

This is my husband restoring the cradle
about 10 years ago.

I love seeing this cradle in use.
It is a great family heirloom.

 These next quilts I made myself.
Like most things I do; I just
jumped into quilting without instructions.
I should have gotten instructions!
This is the first doll quilt I ever made.
It was made for our first American Girl Doll
Grace. I made it to fit the antique cradle
that Patsy Ann now sleeps in.

It is now in the Crissy doll room. It is definitely
 more appropriate for the 1970s!

This is another quilt I made.  
It is also in the Crissy doll room.

Shea and Crissy next to their bed quilts.

This quilt was made to fit this lavender doll bed,
also found in a thrift store.

This quilt is still on the trundle bed in the 
room shared by Grace and Julie.

I made two of these twin bed quilts
One for Emma and..

The other for Molly. They are very similar
but slightly different.  These 2 beds used to be
together in the large bedroom.

This is Martin, my son's BOY doll that we made.
When my son was 4, he wanted a boy doll
during our American Girl Doll years!
 Sadly, he no longer plays dolls with me.
Sigh.

Well. Martin needed a boys quilt and here it is.
In case you were wondering that is a sock
submarine.  My son wanted a submarine pillow
for Martin's bed.

I almost forgot this little quilt that
is a throw on the doll house sofa.

It is one of two quilts I made with split
squares.  This is the other one below...

This split square is as fancy as my quilting gets!
This is the china baby my Grandmother 
hand painted for me in 1972 and I
 received her for Christmas.
She is called Ellen.

This is one of the last quilts I made.
It is all floral fabrics.
It goes in this bassinet.

It is used by Baby Patsy.

My smallest quilts are in the Cabinet Dollhouse.
 This  little quilt is on the daybed in the sitting room.
You can see I used a lot of the same fabrics
as were used in my larger doll quilts.

There two more tiny quilts on the
cabinet dollhouse beds.

Helena's bed...

And, Lillibet's bed. These are both
wooden beds made for Ginny size dolls
in the 1950s. I found them both in
different antique shops.

 These are both zig-zag quilted.

I like the zig-zag finish for these small quilts.
(don't look too close at my crooked squares!)

I hope you enjoyed seeing my
doll quilts. I sure enjoyed
sharing them with you!



14 comments:

Dorothy In PA said...

I love the quilts. I think yours are very cleverly constructed. It's amazing how you can make them for tiny doll beds.

Are you familiar with mystery writer Earlene Fowler? All of her Benni Harper books center around quilts.

Savagebd said...

Thank you Dorothy, I enjoy making my mini-quilts. Quilts are so much sweeter than just a bedspread, especially for dolls.

I have not heard of Earlene Fowler! I must look up her books. I am an avid reader. I am never without a book to read. Thanks for the tip!

hugs
Brenda

Anonymous said...

I love all your quilts. Thank You for sharing. When I was little girl my neighbor made me a Yo Yo quilt for my dolls. I treasure it and have it on a doll cradle.
Joan

Anonymous said...

Brenda you have a wonderful Quilt collection. They are amazing. You have your dolls and accessories placed so nice and neat. They are a pleasure to see.
Marion

lil red hen said...

Brenda, as someone who also makes doll quilts, this post was a thrill for me to view! I don't have any vintage doll quilts but I do have a box of feed sack squares from the 40s that would make nice quilts for dolls. Thank you so much for sharing these precious little quilts. I also love the wicker piece and all the small beds. Charlotte

Anonymous said...

Brenda, you never cease to post a lovely and interesting post concerning your beautiful dolls. The quilts are gorgeous. Your dolls are so lucky to be with you and the pretty and caring way you keep them. Thank You Brenda for sharing your quilts.
Marilyn

Savagebd said...

Thank you Joan! I would LOVE to see your doll quilt! You can send any photos you want to share to thesavagedollblog@gmail.com. It is so fun for me to share the sweet little items I have collected and made with my friends here. It really brings me joy.

Hugs
Brenda

Savagebd said...

You are welcome Sandra, and enjoy learning to crochet! I really enjoy working with yarn. It is so relaxing. I am glad you enjoyed my quilt post. I do love quilts and especially little quilts made especially for some little girl long ago to keep her dolly warm. It is such a sweet idea to me. I am happy recalling the days when my son would play dolls with me. It is a happy memory. Probably why I still have all the dolls in my doll room!

Hugs
Brenda

Savagebd said...

Thank you Marion, I enjoy creating little sweet beds for my dolls. It brings me joy to have everything nice and neat. I love to look around my craft/doll room and everywhere I look are pretty things I love.

Hugs
Brenda

Savagebd said...

Charlotte I am jealous! Feedsack fabric! I wonder if some of my older little quilts are feedsack? It's hard to know for certain, but I love them anyway. As I said in my post I just forged ahead and never read any instructions, but I learned through my mistakes. HA! I always just make these small quilts and always very simple squares - nothing fancy like Grandma made!
I do enjoy having some hand stitching to work on, especially if we are going on a long road trip.

Hugs
Brenda

Savagebd said...

Thank you Marilyn, you are so sweet! I do try and make my posts lovely to the eye. I enjoy sharing all my dolls and all their accessories. It makes me happy to know you enjoyed my doll quilts.

Hugs
Brenda

Savagebd said...

Thank you Linda! I do so enjoy sharing my collection with other doll lovers. I had not really been aware of how many quilts I have made until I started going around taking photos! You create a little quilt here and another there and I was a little shocked. I didn't even picture all of them!

Martin, our boy doll, is one of my favorite makeovers. (I know I say that about them all) It was a nerve racking experience, since I did not re-wig him, but gave him a haircut. In the end I think he looks great and my son was thrilled. I have the sweetest pictures of him taking Martin on walks.

They are little treasures, aren't they?

Hugs
Brenda

Jeannette said...

Hello Brenda,
Even with my brown and greying hair you made me feel like Goldilocks looking in all those cozy little beds...hmmm which one should I cozy down in? Charming little vignettes you have created...

Brenda Savage said...

Thank you Jeannette,
I do love creating doll rooms! Early on in my doll collecting I needed doll bedding, but didn't want just a plain cloth bedspread, so I made my first doll quilt. Then I found some vintage doll quilts here and there, as you saw. I am so pleased you enjoyed my doll rooms and they were so inviting. Please come back again and enjoy the scenes!
Hugs
Brenda