My Dolls Click image to go to post

My Dolls Click image to go to post
Click image to see my favorite dolls. Email me at: thesavagedollblog@gmail.com

Tuesday, July 11, 2023

A Dawn Doll Townhouse

As you may recall from a previous post, 
one of my collecting rules is:

"Every doll needs a place to live"

Well, this carboard book box
is going to become my Dawn Doll House!
It will also serve as a storage box for my Dawn 
dolls and their accessories.

I started by looking up images of
1970s rooms to get ideas.  Very pink!

This room was my favorite.  
I like how all these colors
are mixed. Pink, purple, 
yellow and green.

These embroidered flowers have similar
color combinations, so they are
inspiration for my Dawn room.

I looked around my sewing table and saw this
little green jewelry box.  I will make this into 
a dresser. I lightly drew the drawers in pencil.
Then went over these lines with the 
green pencil.

I selected this purple fabric for the chairs.
See my tutorial below.  These are made slightly 
smaller, but the technique is the same.

For the sofa I used another box and cut into the 
center sides  and folded it.  Then its just covered 
in batting and fabric. I use my hotglue gun to
attach fabric to my small doll furniture.

Here is the back of the finished sofa.
You can see where I cut the box
and folded it over for a sofa.

The cofee table is just a wooden cutout from
the craft store, hot glued to a wood spool.

The table kept tipping over, so I 
glued a big metal washer to the bottom.

My house needed a view from the window.
I wanted it to be a New York street.

I found this frame online.  I used my
 editing program to cut it out.

Put them together and VOILA!
I printed this out after adjusting the green hue.
After printing I cut out my image.

I cut out the craft paper I decided to use 
in my house, for art and wallpaper and...

Using a glue stick to prevent ripples....

I attached the paper cutout wallpaper, wall art and my window.

For the heavier items, like the white rabbit
and the flower wreath I use this putty.

To finish my dresser, I used pearl pins
for knobs and hot glued them in the back.
Then snipped off the excess pin.

Voila! 

Want to see the finished house?



HERE



IT




IS!



The girls love their townhouse!
OH!

And here is my latest Dawn dress that I made.

I also made these tiny go-go boots.

Thanks for stopping by!!!

10 comments:

Anna said...

Hi Brenda,
The Dawn dolls house looks fantastic. The accessories look perfect. The new outfit you made looks stunning too. I can't believe you made the tiny go-go boots too. Looks like you have been having fun!
Anna

Brenda Savage said...

Hi Anna,
THank you! I have fun making these little houses. It is also practical in that I can store my dolls and all their clothes and accessories in one place. I love how her go-go boots came out. I have fabric to make more in a lavender color, but haven't gotten around to it yet. I am having fun!
Hugs
Brenda

Dorothy in PA said...

I love the new house. What a delightful color scheme. I have absolutely no crafting skills but I love to watch crafters develop their ideas.

I agree with your rule: every doll must have a home. I just have to tell that to the horde of little Alexander dolls in boxes in the bottom of my closet (laugh).

Brenda Savage said...

Hi Dorothy,
Thank you! I do enjoy crafting and creating. I am pleased with how this house/carry case came out. Sounds like you need a giant 8" dollhouse!
Hugs
Brenda

The Attic Couturier said...

Oh, wow! Brenda, you are AMAZING! Your creativity and your decorating skills are just above and beyond... this is just SO perfect for 'the Dawns'! No doll would ever want to leave you!

Susan J. in IL

Brenda Savage said...

Hi Susan!
Thank you so much! I take that as high praise coming from you. I Have fun creating rooms and xases for my dolls. It is my way of controlling the number of dolls I collect, which is no small metter! Haha. I think most doll collectors have the same issue. Soo many adorable dolls, but not enough space.
Hugs
Brenda

Janet said...

Hi Brenda,

This is just the cutest thing. I love the window with it's NYC view. It has given me a good idea for decorating my own dolls' house.

Janet

Anonymous said...

Absolutely wonderful project. I love it! Thank you for sharing all of your craftiness and ideas. The colors are awesome or should I say groovy?

Jennifer ❤

Brenda Savage said...

Hi Janet,
Thank you! I enjoy making doll rooms. I hope you share photos of your doll house. I would love to see it!
Hugs
Brenda

Brenda Savage said...

Hi Jennifer,
Thank you! I Have used these boxes for houses before nad they are a simple way to create a little doll room. I'm so glad you liked wha I created.
Hugs
Brenda