My Dolls Click image to go to post

My Dolls Click image to go to post
Click image to see my favorite dolls. Email me at: thesavagedollblog@gmail.com

Monday, July 03, 2023

Tiny Tears!

Just last week I found this little
girl in a thrift store.

She is a Tiny Tears Doll from the 1950s.
She was made by the 
American Character Doll Company.
She not only drank and wet, but
she cried little tears!

The American Character Doll Company was
located in Massachusetts. They
sold their dolls mostly through mail order in
stores like Sears and Montgomery Ward.
They peaked in popularity in the 1950s with 
dolls like Tiny Tears and Toodles.

Eventually the company went bankrupt and
was acquired by the Ideal Toy Company.
Who made the Crissy Doll line.

My Sally Ann was made by American Character.

And also my 10.5" Toni was made by
American Character.

Tiny Tears was not the only crying baby 
American Character made.
This is the "I Love Lucy" baby.

When I found my Tiny Tears, she was 
naked and SO dirty! 
She had marks on her face and
her eyes were a bit sunken in.

Getting ready for her bath, I saw
even more marks and dirt!

Yikes, this baby needs a bath!

I am using my "Heads Up" shampoo and 
conditioner. I washed her hair twice.
The magic eraser took off all the dirt and marks.

After her bath I worked this conditioner 
into her hair and combed it through.
This works really well on dry stiff hair.

You can see a little more shine already.
I was considering fixing her eyes, but when
she sits up they are fine, so I decided
to leave her eyes alone.

I use this finishing spray for synthetic hair.
It is like hair spray, but really adds shine.
When it dries it is not sticky.

I spray it on and comb it through.
You can see how much shine it adds.

Next she needs some more color on her lips and cheeks.
I use a melon color and a flesh tone.
I use a small brush and paint her lips with the melon.

For cheeks the 2 colors are mixed half and half.
Then I use a makeup sponge tapped dry on a paper towel.
Then I lightly pat her cheeks with the sponge.

I also repainted her eyebrows and gave her
some lower lashes.

I was fortunate enough to find this dress
online, the very next day! 

And now she's ready for her photo shoot.

Very sweet!

I am SO pleased with how she came out.

Oh! And her little bracelet says, "Lara".

Lara, Before and After


16 comments:

Anna said...

Hi Brenda, Lara looks so sweet. You have done a lovely makeover on her. Her dress was a lucky find too. I like the American Character dolls, I am lucky enough to have a few, but they are hard to find here.
Anna

Brenda Savage said...

Hi Anna!
I am so pleased with Lara. Finding her dress the very next day, and in such perfect condition was kismet! I'm not surprised these dolls are hard to find where you are at in New Zealand! Considering how far away you are your doll collection is amazing.
Hugs
Brenda

Janet said...

Hi Brendam
How sweet your Lara is! Whan i wasa girl my favorite doll was my Tiny Tears 0 I was able to have a whole baby room in the attic hallway- My Tiny (no name, just always called Tiny) had a crib, bathinette and a high chair. When I wanted to give her a bath - my Mom would bring up a kettle of warm water and extra towels!

I loved my Tiny to death, her innards ended up getting icky from the dampness often left inside her. but I sure did get a lot of enjoyment from her .

I had the same dress too!

Janet

Doreen, Arkansas said...

Hi Brenda, Tiny is my childhood baby doll. Being a 1956 girl, she came along as I was a child at one Christmas. I too have this dress and also had a crib, carriage, high chair and her bath. My mom sewed many matching dresses for Tiny and myself. I still have them all in her small plaid suitcase. She has a place of honor in my baby doll area along with a Vogue Ginnette, Ginny, and a My Child from the 80s from one of my daughters. These gals all get regular wardrobe changes thru the seasons of the year. Her handmade outfits still are in wonderful shape and are a hug from my Mom's love of me and sewing. Mom's still alive at 91 but sadly sinking deep into the disease of dementia.
So glad you saved this Tiny Tears. Happy 4th of July, Doreen from Arkansas

Maryn said...

Wow! She came out so beautifully! You really have a magic touch!

Dorothy in PA said...

Brenda, you have worked your magic again. She is adorable!

Zacisze Lenki said...

A wonderful find, it ended up in good hands. You took care of her beautifully, she is sweet. Hugs Brenda.

Brenda Savage said...

Hi Janet,
I love hearing these kind of stories. I loved bathing and setting my dolls hair in curlers. I also would wash their clothes until I wore them out! Our childhood dolls keep such a hold on us, but inthe sweetest way! Thanks for sharing these memories.
Hugs
Brenda

Brenda Savage said...

Hi Doreen,
I ove hearing about dolls that stayed with you into adulthood. What sweet memories. I am a 1966 girl, but my childhood dolls were all lost along the way. That is why I have recollected some of those dolls today. I can still recall opening that doll at Christmas and what a joy they were. I can still smell that new doll smell. Sigh.
Thanks for sharing.
Hugs
Brenda

Brenda Savage said...

Hi Maryn,
Thank you! You know how much I enjoy rescuing and refreshing these dolls I find. She is really precious. Finding her dress was like it was meant to be.
Hugs
Brenda

Brenda Savage said...

Hi Zacisze,
I am so happy I found her! SHe really needed some love and attention to be pretty again. She is so very sweet!
Hugs
Brenda

Brenda Savage said...

Hi Dorothy,
Thank you! You must know how much I enjoy these restorations. I feel that I am saving a Tiny bit of history. See what I did there? Hehe
Hugs
Brenda

The Attic Couturier said...

My sister and I both got Tiny Tears dolls for Christmas one year. (I think when I was about three or four, which would have been in 1958 or 1959). Your photos totally brought a flood of recall to me - I recognize the clothes and accessories! Our dolls are long gone, but I think there may be some old doll clothes that belonged to them somewhere in the vast cache of things surviving my parents' many moves. (If I can find them, they're yours!)

Susan J in IL

Brenda Savage said...

HI Susan!
I love hearing stories of people who have had these dolls as children! I would love any accessories you might have, but no worries either way. I just enjoy bringing these dolls back to life, as I know you do too.
Hugs
Brenda

Anonymous said...

Beautiful doll rescue! Charming dress too. I love your posts. Always makes me happy when I find you've posted something new ❤

Jennifer

Anonymous said...

Hi Jennifer,
Thank you! I do enjoy doll restorations! I am so pleased you enjoy my blog. That is the reason I like to share.
Hugs
Brenda