I am finally writing you as I promised!
I have taken lots of photos of my hometown,
Hurricane, Utah, and the surrounding
areas. I will enclose them
with this letter.
I wanted you to see the early morning sunrise. I am
getting ready to drive from Hurricane City to St. George.
This first photo is on the road above Hurricane City. It is very
green for being in Southern Utah! Hurricane City got it's
name in 1863 when Erastus Snow had the top of
his buggy blown off by a windstorm!
Hurricane has some lovely historic homes.
This is the old Bradshaw Hotel in Downtown Hurricane.
It is now a museum.
I love the Mercantile shop, so many cute things.
Just around the corner is the drug store and the "Wild Blooms"
flower shop in Downtown Hurricane.
It's about a 30 minute drive from Hurricane to St. George.
You can see on the map that I will drive through
Washington before I get to St. George.
There is a lot of farmland in the Hurricane and St. George area.
This is the Historic Old Washington School House.
This is the Washington County Courthouse.
And this is the Old Cotton Mill that is now a Flower Nursery.
During the U.S. Civil War leaders in Utah feared their supply
of cotton would be disrupted, so they tried growing cotton
in the area. It was not successful, but they started calling
St. George the 'New' Dixie. The nickname 'Dixie' stuck.
Next stop is Downtown St. George.
Now I am finally in Downtown St. George. Luckily I found
a parking space! I'll be taking a walk around the
town from here and show you some sights.
A view from the upper stories from across the street.
This is a bit further down the street.
You can see some of the red cliffs above town.
One of my favorite places is the carousel.
I love to ride the carousel. I feel like a little girl again.
On a hot day Judd's is a great place to stop for a cold drink.
The temperatures this week are not too bad, just
around 100 degrees Fahrenheit! That's nearly
38 degrees Celsius!
Judd's is an old fashioned soda fountain and candy shop.
Hmm, a cold soda sounds good!
Just next door to Judd's is Green Gate Village where
there are some very nice shops.
Before heading home I thought you'd enjoy seeing the town
from the Red Cliffs above.
Tomorrow I'll show you Zion!
Good morning!
Today I'm driving from Hurricane to Springdale
then into Zion National Park. This is also around
30 minutes driving.
I'm adding this postcard to you!
Dear Cecilia,
This is what the inside of Zion's auto tunnel looks like.
It is so fun to drive through! I wish you were
here to drive with me! Ah well, maybe some day
we'll be together.
All my love, Cissy
This is the sign for Springdale, it is the small town at the
entrance to Zion National Park.
This is downtown Springdale. I am nearly
to Zion National Park.
I'm here! I'll be parking somewhere inside and
walking to some beautiful places.
Look how beautiful this waterfall is!
This is Emerald Pools. So peaceful.
Back in the car. I'll drive through the auto tunnel next!
Here I go into the tunnel!
(I love this drive)
Inside the tunnel these windows have been cut
out of the side of the mountain.
I'll show you...
That's the window, in the photo
above, from the outside!
Leaving the tunnel. I need to turn around or I'll
end up in Arizona!
Back through the tunnel
Here’s another view of Springdale.
I think it's time for lunch!
Stopping for lunch at my favorite place!
"Wild Thyme Cafe".
This is the inside of the cafe. At one time
This was a fruit stand.
Today I will sit outside.
Yum! My favorite. Club sandwich with a salad
and a big iced tea!
Almost home crossing the La Verkin bridge.
La Verkin is an even smaller town north
of Hurricane Utah.
Well Cecilia, I hope you've enjoyed hearing and
seeing photos of my home town and the areas nearby.
I miss you Cecilia and I hope you are
happy and doing well in
New Zealand.
BIG HUGS
Your cousin Cissy












































No comments:
Post a Comment