About a year ago, I discovered
Ruth Gibbs Dolls.
Ruth Gibbs was a doll designer who
wanted to create a china head doll
that little girls could play with without
them breaking so easily.
wanted to create a china head doll
that little girls could play with without
them breaking so easily.
She recognized that these smaller china head
dolls, like my grandmother's here, did
not break as easily as the larger dolls.
Ruth Gibbs designed these
Godey Little Lady dolls
in the 1940s.
I decided I should get a couple more
just for fun.
I found this redhead and...
This little blonde doll.
While I was waiting for the dolls to arrive
I started working on some new dresses
for them.
I started this pink dress first, but
I forgot to take photos of my progress.
(sorry)
This is the pattern I used for
my Ruth Gibbs dolls.
The skirt measurement is under the title.
Click on the image and save as a jpeg
photo on your computer. Print out
on 8.5 x 11 inch paper. The one inch
square is to assure it is the proper size.
my Ruth Gibbs dolls.
The skirt measurement is under the title.
Click on the image and save as a jpeg
photo on your computer. Print out
on 8.5 x 11 inch paper. The one inch
square is to assure it is the proper size.
I have a confession. I have a habit of mixing and
matching pattern pieces. When you read my sleeve
tutorial you will see that the sleeve is not an exact
match to the bodice. I just finagle it so it works.
SORRY
I decided this hanky would become the apron
for this pink dress.
I decided to try the felt bonnet pattern.
I stitched 2 rows of 1/2" lace. Then fold it
in half with the lace outside and stitch closed.
Flip it right side out so lace
lines the inside of the bonnet.
Then I stitched a small ribbon across
the bottom in back.
Pretty simple. I may add some
little flowers later on.
Very cute.
The first doll to arrive was the redhead.
While waiting for the blonde doll to arrive,
I began working on a yellow dress.
The collar lace is being stitched to the wrong
side of the bodice so that it can
get flipped over onto the front.
The collar lace gets flipped back over the front
and stitched down. This is an easy way to
finish small doll dress collars.
Hard to see, but stitching the sleeve
into the arm opening.
I decided I needed to make a sleeve tutorial
for those who (like me) had never
been taught how.
Sewing very small doll dresses can be
very finicky. I found that I had to think
differently when sewing on a small scale.
SLEEVE TUTORIAL
First thing I do when sewing tiny doll
dresses is to set my sewing
machine speed very slow.
I have gathered the sleeve and
tied off the threads so they don't pull out.
Oops I forgot the lace for the sleeve!
I've added lace at the bottom of the sleeve.
Sew on the right side then fold over.
Later I hand gather the sleeve with
needle and thread. Small dolls do not
necessarily need elastic as their hands
and arms are slender.
I start by centering the gathers at the
shoulder seam right sides together. While pinned
in place I rotate the sleeve to find the point
to start sewing to the sleeve opening.
NOTE: This pattern is not exact. If you start
at the side seam your sleeve will be off center.
The bodice is slightly oversized so it can
be adjusted to the doll it is made for.
I don't usually pin these tiny sleeves.
The pins just get in my way as I try to sew.
I just manually adjust the two pieces as I go.
I've found my starting point.
I rotate the sleeve to the place
where I will begin stitching so that the
gathers end up on the center
of the shoulder.
As I am stitching I rotate the top sleeve
into place along the shoulder.
I am adjusting the sleeve as I stitch very slowly.
I keep slowly rotating the sleeve as I sew.
I use a large straight pin to adjust the
gathers as I go along.
Slowly rotating sleeve into
position as I sew.
All sewn into place.
Turn right sides together. Sew from bodice
side seam and turn at the joint
of sleeve and bodice then sew the sleeve.
Trim off excess fabric and zig zag side seam.
Finished side seam and sleeve.
I am showing this for those who struggle with
pants. It took me awhile to figure out how
they go together.
The lace is sewn on the wrong side,
on the bottom of the leg pieces,
then flipped and stitched down flat.
Right sides together stitch one of the small
angled sides together.
Fold and press 1/4 inch along the top
for adding the elastic.
With a zigzag stitch set to match the elastic
width, stretch elastic and sew
along pressed fold.
Elastic added onto waist.
With right sides together, close waist
by sewing remaining short
angled side.
With right sides together, fold along
leg length and sew the inseam.
Turn right side out and done!
The blonde doll has arrived!!
Here she is!
The yellow dress is nearly done.
I used lace bias to finish the back
of the dresses.
The lace finished the edge nicely.
I use a tiny safety pin to close, or
just the apron tied around the waist.
HERE
ARE
THE
DOLLS
IN
THEIR
NEW
DRESSES!!
Blonde doll in pink dress.
Her pink pantalettes.
AND...
The redhead doll in the yellow dress.
With yellow pantalettes.
Before and After
Before and After
All three of my Ruth Gibbs together.
Look how different their faces are!!
Betsy and Daisy love their new dolls.














































No comments:
Post a Comment