My Dolls Click image to go to post

My Dolls Click image to go to post
Click image to see my favorite dolls. Email me at: thesavagedollblog@gmail.com

Friday, May 08, 2020

Baby Doll Love

The first Baby Doll I remember having was a Baby Crissy.
I asked for her for Christmas, of course.
Everybody had Crissy dolls at that time!

Of course her hair grew and I LOVE
dolls with hair to play with!
I was about 6 when I got her, but have 
no idea whatever happened to her.

The next baby doll I remember vividly was
my New Born Baby Tender Love!
I know it was 1972 because it was 
the first year they were made.
They were quite shocking because you
could get an anatomically correct BOY DOLL!

Mine was a girl.  I'm sure my parents would not
have thought that an anatomically 
correct baby was necessary.

I think it was a couple years later that
my Grandmother hand painted a china baby doll for me.
This is me that Christmas morning looking 
disappointed because my Grandma
and my Mom said this baby had to live in the 
china cabinet.
WHAT!?

This is that China baby, Ellen.
She is 12" long and has a crying face.
She is still with me today because 
she lived in the china cabinet for
40+ years!

I still had my Newborn Baby Tender love though!
and boy I loved that doll til she 
had hardly any hair left!

SO, what baby dolls do I have today?

This is my 1965 Madame Alexander Puddin doll.
Her name is Annabelle.
She is 20" long.

I got my Puddin after repairing this Puddin doll.
This Puddin belongs to a dear friend I have known 30 years.
Her Puddin had been in the attic for years and
one day she asked if I could help her?

Her makeover link is here:
These Puddin Baby's came with a little top braid.

Annabelle's braid was cut, 
so I made hers into this little curl.

I fell in love with my friend's Puddin.
So, I wanted a Puddin for myself!
Just look at that pouty face!

My Annabelle can wear 6 month old
baby dresses.  I have found some LOVELY
Vintage dresses for her in Thrift stores.

My next baby doll is
a 1995, 14" Baby So Beautiful, 
Sophia.
Sophia was found in a thrift store!
She has a very nice wig, not
plugged hair.

She has very pretty eyes and soft vinyl skin.

Her toes are adorable!
Here is her makeover story:

These are Sophia's dresses. A couple of these are 
makeovers of the clothes she was 
wearing when I found her.

This next baby is also an introduction!
This is my American Girl Bitty Baby
with blonde hair and blue eyes.
I found her in a thrift store and thought
I'd just resell her.
That was months ago!

I think she's going to stay.
Her name is Bonnie.

Bonnie has only a small wardrobe so far,
but I suspect if I look through some
drawers I'd find more things that fit her.

I've left the smallest baby doll for last.
This is a tiny bisque baby 5 1/2" long!
I found her in an antique shop.
She was SO sweet, I had to take her home.

Look at this tiny crocheted dress and bonnet.
She is a doll for a doll.

In this case this little baby is Molly's.
Molly has called her Belinda.
I crocheted the Moses bed to keep her safe.

The ones that got away

Do you ever decide to sell a doll and 
only later realize what a mistake that was?

Well here are a couple that I regret.

This baby is a 1975 Madame Alexander Puddin 16".
I found her in a thrift store and restored her:

This next baby I regret the most.
My current Puddin Annabelle was 
to try and replace her...sigh.

She is an Effanbee Sweetie Pie 19" doll.
I also found this baby in a thrift store.
She had on her original dress and bonnet!

Look at that sweet face!
She was in terrible shape, but she cleaned up just lovely!

Baby Doll Furniture

This is where Annabelle sleeps.
This is the cradle I and my brother slept in as babies.
My two children also used this cradle!

This is Sophia's bassinet and dresser.
The dresser is an old wood misc. box
that I repainted!

I found this bassinet and changing table in a thrift store.
I also found the baby seat.
I repainted both pieces pink and sewed the quilt to match the
changing table covers.

Bonnie and her bunny.

One of my more recent finds is this doll playpen.
And another view of the baby seat.

Remember this doll cradle?
Guess what happened to it?

Yes, I still have it.
My husband refinished it for my daughter's first American Girl Doll.
This cradle belonged to my great-Grandmother.
It's a little fragile so it is put away for now.

 Well, These are all my baby dolls,
and all of their dresses and furniture.
I hope you enjoyed seeing them!

UPDATE!

The old cradle has been put in the doll room!

I think this is the perfect place.


23 comments:

Debbie said...

I have just found your blog and have read it all from the first post up until today. I have really enjoyed seeing your doll makeovers and the gorgeous clothes you make.
I have always loved and collected dolls myself and it is really nice to find someone else who enjoys collecting too. I am looking forward to your future posts.

Savagebd said...

Thank you Debbie, and welcome!

Wow, the whole thing? I am really pleased that you have enjoyed my blog. I hope to see you again in the future.

Hugs
Brenda

Dorothy In PA said...

How wonderful to see your sweet babies.

I had Tiny Tears and Betsy Wetsy. Are they considered baby dolls? I also had a Ricky, Jr. doll, created to be the "son" of Lucy and Ricky. All of these childhood dolls are long gone.

I do have a sweet Adora baby doll. She sits in the living room with me and watches TV.

Wishing you a Happy Mothers Day

Xanadu said...

These are all wonderful baby dolls Brenda and each with an interesting story. :) I must admit your Puddin Annabelle is my favourite, I just love her chubby cheeks, makes me feel the need to give them a little pinch. The Effanbee Sweetie Pie is a very close second. You have some gorgeous cribs too, I really would love to come play in your doll room. SIGH!
Big hugs.
X

Savagebd said...

Thank you Dorothy!

I believe any baby that drinks and wets, or cries is considered a baby doll. I always think any doll with bent baby legs is a baby doll. I don't consider my Patsy dolls 'babys' because they have straight stand up legs. I put them in the toddler realm. But that is just me. I am not any kind of expert here! haha!

Happy Mother's Day Dorothy
hugs
Brenda

Savagebd said...

Thank you Xanadu!

I do love my Annabelle. You know, after posting about my baby dolls, I am happy with the dolls I have. They are each special in their own way.

Xanadu, I so wish I had a magic carpet I could wisk all my doll friends up and bring them here to play! I guess this blog is a little like play group.

Hugs
Brenda

Anonymous said...

Brenda I enjoyed your baby dolls. A Diddey Doll was my first baby doll. No idea what happened to her.
Joan
HAPPY MOTHER'S DAY

Anonymous said...

Your baby dolls are adorable. My first baby dolls were Tiny Tears and Betsy Wetsey. Unfortunately they started to rot and had to be thrown out. I now have a Bitty Baby.
Marion
Have a great Mother's Day

Anonymous said...

Brenda thank You for sharing your baby doll collection. I have a Bitty Baby. My two baby dolls rotted and had to be thrown out.
HAPPY MOTHER'S DAY
Marilyn

Anna said...

Hi Brenda,
I really enjoyed your baby doll collection.I think it is difficult to pick a favourite. They are all lovely in different ways! I just love the way you display them and how each one has a special place.
I have a Madame Alexander Pussycat doll which is similar to your Puddin. I was lucky to find her on a local auction site in rough condition with really bad hair but I just love the large size she is. They are certainly not easy to find over here.
I loved your last post too.Janet also has some beautiful dolls.She is very lucky to be able to knit such lovely outfits.
Thank you both for sharing your lovely dolls.
Enjoy Mothers Day
Anna

Savagebd said...

Thank you Joan,
I looked up Diddey dolls and didn't find anything. You have peaked my curiosity. I love to see what a doll looks like. Isn't it funny how we can remember our first baby doll? I have vivid memories of playing with my dolls as a child. Such peaceful carefree days.

Happy Mother's Day
hugs
Brenda

Savagebd said...

Thank you Marion,

Aw! So sad that your baby dolls had to be thrown out. I have read a lot about some of these dolls. So sad! I do still see Tiny Tears and Betsy Wetsey on eBay, but Bitty Babies are very sweet!

Happy Mother's Day!
hugs
Brenda

Savagebd said...

Thank you Marilyn,

I am so sad that your baby dolls rotted! I have read about older rubber dolls disintegrating in this way. It is so sad, but Bitty Babies are precious. I laugh at myself sometimes that I always think, "I'll just sell this doll, it won't stay in the house long." Here I am months later and the Bitty Baby has not moved. HAHA

Happy Mother's Day!
hugs
Brneda

Savagebd said...

Thank you Anna!

I came across a Pussycat doll when I was fixing my friends Puddin. She was so large and cuddly! I wound up sending her to my friends Mom. She loves her! I almost kept that Pussycat doll. When I was a girl I longed fro more doll beds! I made up a lot of things from items around our house. Cardboard boxes, extra throw pillows would disappear into my room to be used for doll beds.

Janet is amazing. I knit a little, but I could never figure out how to do more than knit a rectangle and call it a doll blanket! Her doll dresses are amazing! I am so fortunate to have one of her doll dresses.

Happy Mother's Day
hugs
Brenda

Doreen, Arkansas said...

Hi Brenda,
I just love this baby doll post. Seeing each doll, their sweet outfits, and each place in your dolly room that they call home. You have found some really great pieces during your thrifting. I especially love the vintage 6mo dresses. I go for those myself when out "shopping" at antique stores or thrift stores. Anything with smocking is adorable.
I have my 1960's Tiny Tears, 8 inch baby Ginnette, and 1980's Mattel My Child doll. I have many items for Tiny that were sewn for me by my Mom. Ginnette, who is called Becky, has some old original to her outfits. I have tried to craft some version of a dress pattern for her. She has several new dresses now. My Child was my oldest daughter's doll as a child. She has soft velour like skin and a very sweet face and cute blond hair. She has some older outfits but I am finding cute 0-3mo thrifting items to fashion into some new clothes for her.
I really enjoy your posts and seeing how you display and use your dolls for fun. Blessings for the coming week, Doreen

Savagebd said...

Thank you Doreen!

You area woman after my own heart! Thrifting and antiquing are my favorite places to find doll items. So many of my most cherished dolls came from thrift stores. I take them home and clean them up and give them a second life. I would love to see your dolls. There is an email address under the heading of my blog for sharing. It's fun to share photos. How lovely that you have kept Tiny and Becky all these years.

Blessings and hugs

Brenda

Janet said...

Hello Brenda,

Seeing your precious baby dolls has been most enjoyable.
As you know, I am mainly a collecter of the high-heel ladies - mostly the 10 1.2 inch ones, but there are a few tall ones too.and along with them, a few boyfriends showed up too.

I do have a few baby dolls though. My favorite is my life size composition baby, who is Baby Mary. I have bought her a few things in a thrift tore too. Baby Mary could use a little fixing up, she has a few cracks and some worn spots, but I love that she shows her age- i am pretty sure she is from the late 1830s.

We had a Bitty Baby in our family too -She was my grand-daughter's doll. I sewed and knitted for her, and bought a crib that DH fixed up, I made the bedding. She too was very well loved, and is now being loved my another litlte girl, I wonder if she still has all her stuff?

Janet

Savagebd said...

Thank you Janet,

I think baby dolls take me back to my childhood when almost all my dolls were baby dolls. Life was simple and uncomplicated. It was when I was a little older that I started playing with Barbies and other dolls.

I definitely enjoy my high heel ladies now too! As you know I had the 18" heeled dolls already, but now I am back into the smaller heeled ladies thanks to you my friend.

Hugs
Brenda

lil red hen said...

Since I am much older than most of your readers, I had no dolls like these. My dolls had heads made from a material which I called "pressed sawdust" and they didn't last very well. The prettiest doll I had was made from a soft vinyl and she began to rot after a period of time. Now I have a few baby dolls which have been rescued and also my daughter's New Born Baby Tender Love. She needs special attention to fix her hair which is standing straight up (probably from being carried by her hair ;) My collection of dolls consists mostly of handmade cloth dolls. So, thank you for sharing your dolls and their lovely quilts and furniture.

Savagebd said...

Thank you Charlotte, (Lil Red Hen)

Sounds like you had composition baby dolls! One of my other readers had early rubber dolls too, they unfortunately deteriorated too. That is so sad. I had a new born baby tender love too, your daughter and I must be near in age then. I loved that doll, her hair was almost all gone!

hugs
Brenda

Savagebd said...

Thank you Linda,

You can see the disappointment clearly written on my face, haha! I'm glad you enjoyed my baby dolls. I guess I would be considered an eclectic collector. I collect whatever hits my fancy at any given time. This post got me thinking about baby dolls and how sweet they are. Now there are a couple more heading this way. Oops.

Hugs
Brenda

ficanas said...

Bonjour Brenda
Je vous écrit de France pour vous féliciter. On voit que vous aimez les poupées et puis elles sont si heureuses avec vous. Elles sont toutes très très belles et leurs habits leur vont si bien. Je suis comme vous, ma maison est remplie de poupées, poupons et nounours et je les câline comme vous. En fait, nous sommes restées des petites filles.
Je vous fais un gros bisou.
Monique

Savagebd said...

Thank you Monique,
I am so pleased that you wrote to me! I am a little girl as well, when it comes to my doll collection. I am showing the translation of your comment for all my other readers:

"Hello (Good Day) Brenda,
I am writing to you from France to congratulate you. We see that you like dolls and they are so happy with you. They are all very beautiful and their clothes fit them so well. I am like you, my house is filled with dolls, dolls and teddy bears and I cuddle them like you. In fact, we remained little girls.
I'm giving you a big kiss
Monique"

I am so pleased that you wrote to me MOnique and I hope you come back and visit me often here on my blog.
A big hug and a kiss
Brenda