My Dolls Click image to go to post

My Dolls Click image to go to post
Click image to see my favorite dolls. Email me at: thesavagedollblog@gmail.com

Friday, October 30, 2020

Surprises And More Surprises!

 So my friend Janet heard me lamenting 
that I was not a knitter.
So she surprised me with these three hand knit
sweaters!!

AND

This little dress which was made by
a friend of Janet's.

Here are my two Revlon girls in their
matching pink stripe dresses.
How cute is this?!?

So what did I do with these little sweaters?

The largest of the three sweaters fit my
Miss Revlon, Emily perfectly.

But what about the other two sweaters?
JUST WAIT!!

As my friends know, I am always hunting 
eBay and thrift stores for doll finds.

I found this little girl just before my 
surprise package arrived.  
She is a 14 inch 1958 
Betsy McCall doll.

When I saw her I knew she would be
joining the Savage dolls.

She got a bath and had her hair washed.

Here she is with her hair pinned up
to refresh the curl on her right side.
What a sweet face!

This is a classic Betsy McCall outfit.
I just love the black gingham, so
off to the fabric store I went.

This is my version of the classic look above.
Notice the little knit purse that matches her sweater?
Another surprise from my friend Janet!

I decided this little sweater would be perfect 
matched with capris.
I made a bow belt with a little gem.
I had this black button with a gem center,
I just tacked it onto the purse 
so I can change it's look.

Want to see more?

Here is the blue sweater.
I found the capris fabric in my remnants bin.
I love how this outfit turned out!

I was looking through my other 14" doll 
clothes and thought this dress 
might suit my new Betsy.  

She is quite slender, so I took this dress 
apart and fitted the bodice to Betsy and
reattached the skirt.

Here she is ready for a shopping trip.

The bow belt works well with this dress too.

I also found this little blouse and added this
plaid skirt that I made for my Shirley Temple.

I think Betsy wears it well.
I'm certain she is a great student.

Oddly enough my Betsy has something in common
with my Patsyette dolls.  
Her feet and theirs are the same size!
These shoes came out of my 
Patsyette's wardrobe, but
they suit Betsy best.

So what now for this tired little girl?
Put on PJs and get some rest.
These PJs also came out of the Patsyette's wardrobe!

Good night Betsy.
Welcome Home.

OH! 
And thank you Janet for my surprises!


8 comments:

Anna said...

Hi Brenda,
Wow, I love your Betsy post. She is a really cute doll. I have never really looked at the larger Betsy McCall Dolls. She has such a sweet face. She is so lucky to have a wardrobe of beautiful clothes already. Janet's jerseys are just perfect, she has made a really lovely job of them. They all fit so perfectly and look stunning with your clothes and accessories.
I love the picture of Betsy cuddling her teddy bear after such a busy day!
The Miss Revlon dolls are beautiful too. You are lucky to have a friend like Janet.
Hope you and your family are well
Anna

Brenda Savage said...

Thank you Anna,

I am quite fortunate that Janet shared all these knit pieces as well as the dress! I am so pleased you enjoyed seeing Betsy’s new wardrobe. I have been in a sewing frenzy the past couple days. I am so happy all my projects worked out, you know how sewing projects can turn on a person!

Hugs
Brenda

Jenny said...

Brenda, thank you for another lovely post! I have a couple of Janet's little sweaters, as well, and once I was the recipient of an sewn outfit she made for a Revlon Swap. It included a coat and two pretty dresses, plus a crocheted hat to match.
I love your take on Betsy's Town & Country outfit, cutting checks or plaid on the bias sure saves the anxiety of matching the pattern, doesn't it?!
Jenny :-)

Brenda Savage said...

Thank you Jenny,
I’m so glad you enjoyed this post. I am so pleased with how my sewing projects came out. That has not been the case lately. Janet is so generous and I love this little gift. She is amazing and so talented. Yes, checks on the bias are so much simpler!!

Hugs
Brenda

Janet said...

Hello Brenda,

MY heart is warmed with the joy you have with the small knits, I love knitting and I am glad my efforts helped your sewing slump to be over. I love you Betsy McCall and her checked outfit - it's the one my childhood Betsy had. U never thought to try to make a replica for any of my Tiny Betsy McCall dolls,, but I just might - well, maybe someday!

It was lovely to see your dolls happily wearing their new knits - great idea ti=o add a jeweled button to the purse, to make it match the belt!

Your friend,
Janet

Brenda Savage said...

Thank you Janet!!
I am SO happy with the surprise package you sent me. I had so much fun finding who would fit the sweaters you sent. When I tried the smaller sweaters on my new Betsy, I was so excited they fit her and all these ideas just came to me. I knew I wanted to make her a checked outfit, but the sweaters changed my direction as you saw. The check fabric is very light so I will try making some matching outfits for my Tiny Betsy. I tacked the button on the purse so I could change it easily with out damaging it. That way I can use it with different outfits, although as with the belt I made, the black goes with so much!

Thankyou again my friend!
Big hugs
Brenda

Dorothy In PA said...

What a cutie Betsy is. I love the last photo of her asleep.

The outfits for the dolls are adorable. From the smiles on their faces, I can tell that they think so too.

Savagebd said...

Thank you Dorothy,
I do like my new Betsy, such a sweet expression. I like that sleeping photo too, maybe because I enjoy sleeping. I am actually working on some new outfits that will be showing up in my next post.

Hugs
Brenda