My Dolls Click image to go to post

My Dolls Click image to go to post
Click image to see my favorite dolls. Email me at: thesavagedollblog@gmail.com

Thursday, October 22, 2020

Purchases, Projects and Pretties

I don't know about the rest of you, but this whole COVID 
situation has given me the fidgets.  I am constantly looking for something
creative to work on. Making things is always calming for me.

As usual, I was perusing eBay for possible projects.
I am always looking for interesting doll finds.
Well, I found these small quilt tops!
There are three 8"x8" quilt tops and a long 2 square quilt strip
and a couple pieces of vintage fabric.

This looks very Christmassy to me with the green 
and red fabrics.  I need to find a border fabric.

I have not found a good fabric to make a border
on this one.  Honestly it is not my favorite.

This little quilt top I love! All the miscellaneous
florals are so sweet!

This is the long strip that is 2 squares wide
and about 50 squares long.

All these quilts are hand stitched!

The first quilt I worked on was the long strip.
I first divided it into four matching lengths.
Then I decided it was too long and removed
4 squares from each section.
Some of the fabric I didn't care for anyway.

This is my remade quilt top with a border added.
You can see even after removing 
4 squares it is still long.

Next I wanted to find a border for this
little quilt to brighten it up a little. I decided the 
bits of yellow could be brought out.

I used some yellow floral fabric I had
and some of the vintage red check
that came along with the quilts.
Now I just need to quilt the tops and finish the edges.


My next project was making tops for my small
fashion dolls.
My first top was from a crochet pattern I got from
a friend in my online doll club:
I had this striped fabric and made a skirt to go with
my new top.

Here is a pink version. Can you believe 
I had pink striped fabric as well?
This was an easy project
to make and I love the results!

Next I had ordered this Little Miss Revlon 
pattern, but was reluctant to try making 
anything. I don't know why.
I finally decided to try the top at the top left.

How cute is that?!?
It was amazingly easy to make as well.
Sadly I am now out of
1/8" elastic and all the stores
are barren of elastic these days.
The skirt is fabric from my remnant bin.

One more top!
I found this doll top on eBay.
I hoped it would fit my boy dolls, but 
the neck was too tight.
So, I decided to give it a makeover!

I removed the snap and tie. Then I added 
lace on both sides of the opening and 
shortened the sleeves slightly.
Not too bad.

SO, what else have I been up to?

Years ago, I upcycled this girls thrift skirt
for our Josefina doll. I discovered I still had the 
other half of this skirt in my remnant bin!

 I did a quick gather and waistband and VOILA!
A lovely skirt for my Miss Revlon.

Well that's all my latest projects I hope you 
enjoyed seeing what I have been up to.
Tell me what you have been up to?


16 comments:

lil red hen said...

I'm glad you have these things to work on while everything is upside down in the world. The little quilt tops are such fun to finish and your doll clothes are always a real treat to view. I'm thinking it's time to make Christmas outfits for my dolls; last year I waited too long. I'm always thrilled to find a new post from you! In a time when I don't see another woman for quite sometime, your posts are like a visit with a friend.

Dorothy In PA said...

What a lovely post! It was a fashion show of sorts. I always love your fashion shows. The dolls look so sweet in the outfits you made.

I look forward to seeing what you do with the quilts.

It is very challenging in the real world right now. Thanks for allowing us to escape into dolly land, where it is safe and fun.

Anonymous said...

Great job Brenda on the quilts and the clothes for the girls.
Thank You for sharing
Joan

Brenda Savage said...

Thank you Sandra,
It was therapeutic working on these projects. I am really pleased with the quilt tops. I will start quilting the larger one first I think. Stay safe and healthy.

Hugs
Brenda

Brenda Savage said...

AW! Thank you Charlotte,
I think of all my readers as friends, we just play dolls on the web. I really enjoyed these projects and now I have some quilting to work on.
I am glad you enjoy my blog, that is why I created it, to share with my doll friends.

Hugs
Brenda

Brenda Savage said...

Thank you Dorothy,

I am so glad you enjoyed this post. It is a huge escape for me to go into my doll room and create fun cute things. Especially now that the world is SO challenging for all of us.

Hugs
Brenda

Brenda Savage said...

Thank you Joan,

You know how I like to create. I am always on the lookout for projects to stay busy.

Hugs
Brenda

Brenda Savage said...

Oh! And thank you Sandra for your nice comments about Josefinas outfit. We used to have a LOT of AG dolls. We are down to just 5 now. I hope you stay well and healthy.

Hugs
Brenda

Anonymous said...

The quilts are so nice. The skirt for Miss Revlon is my favorite of all the lovely projects you did Brenda.
Marion

Anonymous said...

Once again Brenda, you have done a wonderful job. The clothes you made are lovely. You worked magic on that boy's shirt. It looks so nice on the doll. Thank You for sharing.
Marilyn

Brenda Savage said...

Thank you Marion,
I think that Miss Revlon skirt turned out great. I’m so pleased with it. I think it looks a little Victorian, don’t you?

Hugs
Brenda

Brenda Savage said...

Thank you Marilyn,
That boys top was a puzzle for me. I had it sitting on my sewing table for days just wondering to myself what I would do with it. After I played around with different laces I decided to finish it as you saw here.I’m pleased with it.
Hugs
Brenda

Anna said...

Hi Brenda,
Things certainly are unsettling right now. It's nice to get away from the real world sometimes! I love escaping to your blog and seeing your beautiful dolls and all your projects. You have a very good eye and have some amazing finds.
Your latest projects are lovely.
Keep safe
Anna

Brenda Savage said...

Thank you Anna,

You are right it is certainly unsettling right now. I am glad my blog can be an escape for a short time. I definitely escape into my doll room and all my other projects.

Hugs
Brenda

Janet said...

Like you, I can easily lose myself in a creative project. I once bought a quilt top, and have used it to make several doll quilts. Another that I found at a flea market was already quilted but had damage I used it to make a cover for my sewing machine.

I love being able to use my "finds" - I do miss Flea markets - there are none lately!

I do love the crocheted top and striped skirt outfits you've made - the dolls look great!

Janet


Brenda Savage said...

Thank you Janet,

We are both creative crafters. I always need to have a project to work on. I love the idea of using an old quilt to make a sewing machine cover. Sounds pretty! Now I have another great idea.

I am really pleased with the crochet doll tops and skirts. They came out better than I could have imagined.

Hugs
Brenda