My Dolls Click image to go to post

My Dolls Click image to go to post
Click image to see my favorite dolls. Email me at: thesavagedollblog@gmail.com

Wednesday, January 20, 2021

Finished Vintage Quilts

 Back in October I had some vintage quilt bits and pieces that I 

wanted to make into finished doll quilts.

Purchases, Projects and Pretties

This 8"x8" quilt square, which seems to be fabric from 
the 60s and 70s
 and...

This long strip of squares, which seems to be put together from fabrics
from the 30s and 40s.

 
I rearranged the long strip into this doll sized quilt
and surrounded it with muslin.

This 8"x8" square I surrounded by 
complementing red and yellow fabrics.

This was back in OCTOBER!
But then we had Thanksgiving, 
and soon after that all our Christmas preparation.
Then the family were all ill!

SO, now it's January and finally I
 have finished the first 2 quilts.

I did not use batting in these 2 quilts.  
This is something I have done with smaller quilts
because it makes them too stiff and
they won't drape properly.

I don't use a hoop on these small quilts, but only 
safety pin in several places to keep the 
fabrics from sliding around.

I did a very simple straight quilting.
I felt this was truer to the older fabrics.

Pressing the edges so they can be stitched.

After pressing the edges, I hand stitched them.

ALL DONE!!

Now, the girls must decide where these 
quilts should go.

Ann: I think this quilt would look nice on my bed.

Ann: Look how pretty it looks!

Ann: What do you two think?
Joan: It is very pretty.
 CharlotteYes, I like it there.

Ann: Now where should this one go?

Patsy: I want the lovie!

Charlotte: You can't even see your bed Patsy.
Patsy: Oh...but, all my lovies need a lovie blanket!

AllHahaha, Okay, okay!

Patsy: YAY! My Lovie!

Joan: Good, that's all settled.

14 comments:

Janet said...

Your tw "lovies" are so nice and soft and cuddly. I love making quilts for my dolls from old finds - Sometimes i take all the pieces apart and re-sew them into the color scheme i want. Sometimes, I leave it just as it arrives, and just repair a bit and it has a wonderful old quality.

I like quilts for all sizes of dolls I buy old quilts quilt ops and just pieces of quilts. My favorite is one that was quilted right on top of another really old quilt - some places are so worn the underneath one shows through, I like that a lot, I used part of that to make a cover for my sewing machine!
I cannot wait until there are once again flea markets and tag sales to shop and find old treasures.

Janet

Brenda Savage said...

Thank you Janet,

I too love finding old quilts and quilt pieces. I come from a family of quilters. My Grandmother on my father’s side was a farm wife and quilted all their blankets. Later after all my aunts and uncles were grown she quilted for fun. When she began to lose her vision she made a quilt fit each grandchild for a wedding gift. I still have my wedding quilt.

These were really sweet after they were finished and the girls loved them.

Hugs
Brenda

Anna said...

Hi Brenda,
Your quilts are lovely. I have one I found recently from my childhood. It's fun remembering the different fabrics Mum used in the 70's.
Patsy's bed is like mine used to be as a child. I used to take all my soft toys and dolls to bed with me at night. I remember my parents trying to convince me to put a few on the chair to give me more room!
I'm keen to try making some quilts now they look so pretty.
Anna

Anonymous said...

Your quilts are lovely. I have a baby quilt that my grandmother made for me when I was born. The girls chose just the right quilt for their beds.
Marilyn

Anonymous said...

Brenda your quilts are beautiful. I have a few quilts from my grandmother and a yo yo one for a doll from a former neighbor.
Joan

Anonymous said...

The quits are very pretty. Ann,Charlotte and Joan had a good time choosing the quilts for their own.
Marion

lil red hen said...

Very, very nice!! I love making doll quilts and then using them on these cold winter evenings. My two favorite dolls are sleeping in today under quilts and flannel sheets. I have a box of 2" squares of feed sack fabric, some from dresses my sister and I had. I've never done anything with them; any suggestions?

Savagebd said...

Thank you Anna,

I was like Patsy too! I always had ALL my soft toys surrounding me every night. My bed would be covered. Patsy's bed has slowly accumulated all the little softies. Not sure how that happened?

I made my first quilt just a few years ago. I just kept it simple with little squares. If I can do it, anyone can do it!!

Hugs
Brenda

Savagebd said...

Thank you Marilyn,

I was afraid that there would be a dispute about who got the quilts, but the girls were very sweet about it. I love that you have a quilt from when you were a baby! I think quilts are so special because someone took the time to put it all together.

Hugs
Brenda

Savagebd said...

Thank you Joan,

I love hearing about the quilts you have from family and friends. Quilts are SO special and give so much joy for so many years. I am happy I could save these two little quilts.

Hugs
Brenda

Savagebd said...

Thank you Marion,

Yes, the girls were very well behaved about choosing who got the quilts. I think Joan and Charlotte are thinking about the other little quilt pieces I have still to work on!
;)

Hugs
Brenda

Savagebd said...

Oh Charlotte!

I hope you use those feed sack squares and make a quilt! I would love to see it if you did! Your dolls sound SO cozy and warm under their flannel sheets and quilts. I'll bet they are snuggly warm.

Hugs
Brenda

Dorothy In PA said...

The quilts are so pretty. It looks like the girls decided who got each one. They are such well behaved children.

Decisions like that in my house usually result in someone being in "time out." Usually it's me because I am "hiding out" away from the arguing (laugh).

Savagebd said...

Thank you Dorothy,

I am very happy with how these quilts turned out. I am thinking about what to do with the remaining quilts. I may take them apart and create a larger doll quilt.

Yes, the girls are very well behaved, hehe. I think that's why I like them. My house, away from the doll room, sounds like yours, which is why I have a doll room to escape to! Haha.

Hugs
Brenda