My Dolls Click image to go to post

My Dolls Click image to go to post
Click image to see my favorite dolls. Email me at: thesavagedollblog@gmail.com

Friday, March 26, 2021

A New Doll!

My friend Janet has, again,
introduced me to a doll that really
caught my interest.

a MARY HOYER doll!

The Mary Hoyer company started in 
1925 as a yarn and craft shop 
in Reading, Pennsylvania. 
Designer Mary Hoyer created knit 
and crochet patterns for
children's clothing. Eventually 
in 1936 she added a 14" slim doll
for modeling her knit creations.

You could order a Mary Hoyer 
doll using this mail order coupon.

Mary Hoyer dolls are frequently
seen in knit or crochet outfits like 
this blue outfit above.

Or this skiing outfit in red and white.

The dolls were originally composition.

During WWII Mary Hoyer dolls had painted 
eyes due to shortages in many supplies.
After WWII the dolls were made
 from hard plastic.  

The doll I just acquired is hard plastic
from the 1950s.
AND HERE SHE IS!

Still in her shipping box!

All wrapped up! But not for long.

Definitely a sleeping beauty.

She is dressed as a ballerina.
She appears to be all original.

She is in amazing condition, just
needs a little freshening up.

Her ballerina outfit is in great shape.
I did not find a tag, but I found
several images of other Mary Hoyer dolls
wearing this same outfit.

Here is the same ballerina outfit in blue.

Here is her maker's mark.

She still has this little hair decoration.

But her hair was crunchy and kind of
flattened on her head.

I did a gentle wash and conditioner.
Then I brushed it out and re-rolled it.

Here is the front of her hair.  
Before and After.

And, here is the back.
I think this is an improvement.

Oh yes! I also found these silky PJs
that fit her perfectly!

She has lovely blue eyes!

While I was waiting for my doll to arrive
I saw this ADORABLE illustration for a 
skating outfit from a Mary Hoyer pattern.

I used my 14" Shirley Temple as a
 model, hoping it would fit, 
and started crocheting...

Here she is in her crochet skaters outfit! 
It fit perfectly.

Close-up of her hat.

Here is the back.

I must say I love this outfit!!

Besides needing her hair restyled, she
had this painted spot under her left ear.
Looks like she had an abrasion and
someone tried to cover it up.

I matched her skin color and gently dabbed 
over it until it is a lot less noticeable.

As soon as I knew she was on her way
I also ordered this pattern to do some sewing.

SO, stay tuned and hopefully soon I 
will have some sewing projects to share.

OH WAIT!!

Did I mention her name?
Let me formally introduce you to....
Linda
whose nickname is,
Nina!

21 comments:

Janet said...

A warm welcome to Nina !

I am sure she will really begin to glow with pleasure when you take such good care of her. Her hair already looks so soft and smooth and shiny - and her "scar" is invisible now.

I can;t wait to see what else you make for her!

Janet

Zacisze Lenki said...

Nina is wonderful. You renewed her beautifully and took care of her hair. Hugs

Anonymous said...

Linda is lovely. Brenda the crochet outfit is well done. Thank You for introducing us to the Mary Hoyer doll.
Marion

Anonymous said...

Mary Hoyer you are a beautiful doll. Linda you look so lovely in your outfit and new hair style.
.Joan

Jenny said...

Nina looks lovely now, and your crocheted ski outfit is spot-on!
Hugs, Jenny :-)

Anonymous said...

Welcome Linda,to Brenda's Doll house. This doll is a beauty. I love the crochet outfit. Brenda, you did an excellent job. The color combination is so pretty.
Marilyn

Brenda Savage said...

Thank you Janet,

Nina is already a favorite in the doll room. I am working on another skating outfit and have other outfits in mind for Nina. I am happy with her hair. I was a little wary about washing it since she has a wig, but it turned out great.

Hugs
Brenda

Brenda Savage said...

Thank you Zacisze,

Nina is beautiful and I am so happy to have found her! Her hair turned out very well. I am pleased with Nina in every way.

Hugs
Brenda

Brenda Savage said...

Thank you Marion,

I am very happy with the crochet outfit. I have already started a second. I am happy you enjoyed hearing about the Mary Hoyer dolls.

Hugs
Brenda

Brenda Savage said...

Thank you Joan,

I agree that the Mary Hoyer dolls are very pretty. I love how these dolls were meant to have yarn outfits. I was not sure how her hair was going to turn out, but I am happy with her new style.

Hugs
Brenda

Brenda Savage said...

Thank you Jenny,

I am having so much fun crocheting for Nina. I had no idea if it would work out or not, but I like it!

Hugs
Brenda

Brenda Savage said...

Thank you Marilyn,

Linda is settling into the doll room and is very popular with the other dolls. She is a figure skater AND a ballerina you know. Hehe. I am m happy with the crochet outfit I made and a little shocked it came out so well.

Hugs
Brenda

Anna said...

Hi Brenda,
Nina looks beautiful. Her skating outfits is perfect. I love how you have included some background history. I enjoy learning about dolls and the history behind them.
I am looking forward to seeing the outfits you have planned for her.
Anna

Brenda Savage said...

Thank you Linda,

I am so pleased with my Nina. I am having fun planning her wardrobe and some accessories. I must say I am very happy with her hair after a restyle. I was not sure when I first saw her what her hair would be like. It turned out better than I hoped.

Hugs
Brenda

Brenda Savage said...

Thank you Anna,

I am so happy with Nina. I am having fun crocheting and planning some other outfits for her. I really enjoyed discovering the history behind these dolls. It really adds to my enjoyment of them. I’m glad you enjoyed it as well.

Hugs
Brenda

Janet said...

Hi bVBnda,,


I looks like Nina Linda has interested many readers - maybe some of the will now be acquiring a <ary Hoyer too!

I'll send you a picture of mine, and maybe other friends will join in.

I am also thrilled that this is a doll who is meant to have "yarny" outfits. Knitting for mine is a favorite ight time craft!

Janet

Maryn said...

Linda/Nina is gorgeous! I absolutely love her skating outfit, and you did an amazing job concealing her "scar" and restyling her hair. How tall is she?

Brenda Savage said...

Janet, that sounds like a great idea! I would love to do a Nina’s friends, Mary Hoyer post! Do you think some of our other Mary Hoyer friends would join in?

Brenda

Brenda Savage said...

Thank you Maryn,

I completely forgot to mention how tall Nina is! She is 14” tall with a slim body. I love how her skating outfit turned out. Bi am almost finished with a second one, then I will work on some other outfits. She was very happy to have her scar hidden. I’m sure it must have happened in a dramatic skating incident.

Hugs
Brenda

The Attic Couturier said...

Brenda, it's been too long since I've visited your site... it's been so much fun to scroll back and try to catch up a bit. I was really delighted to find this post; I have a composition Mary Hoyer doll on my workbench for a repair customer, and I sent her a link to your wonderful write-up and photos. (I haven't heard back from her yet, since this was just done earlier today, but I bet she'll appreciate all the info and pics you've shared.)

I think you totally 'hit the jackpot' with your own Mary Hoyer - she was in very good shape when she arrived, but now I think she's flawless!! (I just love the crocheted skating outfit - I just cannot figure out crocheting to save my life, and I wish it were a skill I could master, because I just love the versatility that seems to characterize crochet patterns. They shape so nicely!)

Susan J in IL

Brenda Savage said...

Hi Susan!
It's so food to hear from you! I know you stay very busy with your doll work. I do enjoy my crochet skating outfits. I have made them for my 10.5" dolls too. This Mary Hoyer is not compo, but she is so sweet. I never learned to read a crochet pattern, but I did learn how to increase and decrease and make a scallop. That is my entire repitoire!
Hugs
Brenda