My Dolls Click image to go to post

My Dolls Click image to go to post
Click image to see my favorite dolls. Email me at: thesavagedollblog@gmail.com

Saturday, May 14, 2022

Charity Dolls

 

My friend Sina sent me these five dolls recently.
They were turned in to the thrift store she volunteers at.
Doggone Good Treasures in Pine Mt. GA.
This charity shop helps to fund their local Animal Shelter.

Sina knows I love to restore dolls, 
so she sent them to me to see
if I could make anything of them.
Today I will concentrate on just three.

This 1950s American Character Toodles baby doll.
She is 20" long.

This 1950s Madame Alexander 19" Bonnie Doll, 

AND...

This 1987 Thumbelina 18" Baby Doll.

First TOODLES!
First thing she got was a bath!

The first swipe of the wash cloth!
I was pleased to see the dirt WOULD come off!

ALL CLEAN!!

Her face needs a little freshening up. Lips, 
cheeks and eyebrows all need paint.

I chose these 3 colors. A light peach tone, a light melon
and a rust color.  I mixed the melon and rust to make lip color.

Next I trimmed a triangle make-up sponge
so there would be no corners.

I mixed my three colors and coated my sponge.

I tap off almost all the paint on a paper towel.
Then I dab the paint onto cheeks.
I also dab a tiny bit of color on the nose and
sometimes at the temples.

AND HERE'S 

TOODLES!

You will recognize this dress from my last post!
These babies all need dressing, so I 
will dip into my own supply.

You can see I repainted her lips and eyebrows.
I also re-pinked her cheeks. These
molded hair dolls always look sweet
with a ribbon tied around their head.

NEXT

Next is this 1950s Madame Alexander 
19" Bonnie doll.
She got a bath and a hair wash.

She is looking better, but her hair is pretty matted.
She will also need her lips and cheeks repainted.

Sadly she is missing hair in front and has
a crack in her skull. I debated about
getting her a new wig, but decided to leave
 that to whoever is her next mommy.

I was able to restore her original slip.  I have her 
dress on my sewing table, but not sure I  can
save it.  However...

I have had this vintage 50s era blouse and
skirt for quite awhile and it fits her perfectly!

I added this sweater that is newer, but I think
it really completes her outfit.
I combed her hair forward to cover
her bald spot and set her bangs with 
a bobby pin.

Here she is all dressed and refreshed!

She is very sweet! 

Here is the back of her hair. Not bad
considering the matted mess it was!

NEXT

The third doll I wanted to get ready to sell
is this 1987 Ideal Thumbelina.
She is 18" long.

Her sides were torn open.

 
I removed a little
stuffing from both sides to 
relieve pressure on the seams.

After stitching I reinforced the repair with
Fray Check.

I washed her face and limbs, but, sadly, a lot of the
marks would not come off. 

I found this vintage baby dress that fit her.
I replaced the elastic in the sleeves and...

Added a sweet ribbon around her head.
Not too bad.

SO, all three of these babies are 
available for adoption!

Look for them on eBay.
I will send the sale price to 
Doggone Good Treasures and
hopefully save some animals too!



BEFORE AND AFTER

American Character Toodles

Madame Alexander Bonnie

1987 Thumbelina

I will finish cleaning and restoring the last 2 
babies in the near future!

18 comments:

Brenda Savage said...

Thank you Sandra,
I truly enjoy making old dolls new again. I am so pleased you like what I have done. The Bonnie doll did turn out much cuter than I even imagined!
I am hoping that the little work I did will help the animal shelter save lives.
Hugs
Brenda

Anonymous said...

Beautiful work
Thank you from a volunteer at the Humane Society Harris County 💓

Zacisze Lenki said...

You renovated the dolls beautifully. May they find new homes quickly. Hugs.

Brenda Savage said...

Thank you Volunteer!
I am so pleased I can do this small thing to help the animal shelter. I already have a bid for one of these dolls!
Hugs
Brenda

Brenda Savage said...

Hi Zacisze,
I am so pleased you like the work I have done on these dolls. I too hope we find new homes for them all.
Hugs
Brenda

Maryn said...

Wow! They came out beautifully.

Brenda Savage said...

Hi Maryn!
Thank you, I must say I am pleased with how nice these dolls look now. Honestly, when I first saw them I was thinking, "What can I do with these babies!?!" I did my usual and just forged ahead with cleaning and refreshing. I'm glad you like what I did.
HUgs
Brenda

Anonymous said...

Brenda you did an amazing job. The dolls are lovely and look wonderful.
Marilyn

Anonymous said...

What a fantastic job Brenda. The Madame Alexander doll looks good and I love the Thumbelina one.
Marion

Karen said...

Brenda, beautiful as always! Karen

Brenda Savage said...

Hi Marilyn,
Thank you! You know how much I enjoy a good makeover!
Hugs
Brenda

Brenda Savage said...

Hi Marion,
I must admit, I am pleased with how the MA Bonnie looks now. What a change!
Hugs
Brenda

Brenda Savage said...

Hi Karen,
Thank you! These dolls were lovely below the layers of dirt. I could see their potential. I will be sad to see the Toodles go. She is SO sweet in person, I had no idea!
Hugs
Brenda

LittleGinnyFaith said...

Quite an improvement! I love to see previously loved dolls given a second chance. Betty

Brenda Savage said...

HI Betty,
I too love seeing old dolls given another life! It makes me so happy seeing them go to a collector who appreciates their history.
Hugs
Brenda

Janet said...

What a great transformation for these three, I love the Toodles, sweet and happy, the Alexander baby will be so huggable now, I love that you are able t revive these darling babies, some one is going to love them.

janet

Brenda Savage said...

Hi Janet,
Thank you. You know how much I enjoy doing these makeovers. I was as amazed as anyone at how well these babies came out. I've had a lot of interest in all 3 dolls online, so I look forward to giving back something to the pet rescue.
Hugs
Brenda

Brenda Savage said...

Hi Volunteer!!
Somehow I missed you! Thank you so much, it was my pleasure to help your cause in any way I can!
Big hugs
Brenda