My Dolls Click image to go to post

My Dolls Click image to go to post
Click image to see my favorite dolls. Email me at: thesavagedollblog@gmail.com

Saturday, July 09, 2022

Another Charity Doll Done!

Awhile back my friend sent these dolls to me
that came into her thrift shop.
She volunteers at a shop that supports
her local Humane Society.
DOGGONE GOOD TREASURES, 
in Pine Mountain, Georgia
They were in pretty bad shape and she figured
I might enjoy them.

I decided to fix them up and see if I could
make a profit for the Humane Society!

First to get fixed was this 1950s Toodles doll.

Second was this 1950s Madame Alexander Bonnie Doll.

Third was this 1980s Thumbelina doll.

Well, I took out the next Baby Doll today!

She is a 22" Madame Alexander Kitten Doll.

She had big holes in her clot body and
lots of her stuffing was missing.

She had this white mold on her arms.

I sewed up her holes and Fray-checked them.
Then I re-stuffed her. 
 
Her head had been attached with wire, so I 
had to remove the wire and reattach 
her head with a tie wrap. This hole got
sewn closed as well.

Her hair was in bad shape, but after a wash
and a comb-out...

She looks so much better!

For doll hair I like to use Synthetic Hair/Wig Shampoo
and conditioner. I get it at my local beauty supply.

This dress came on one of the other dolls, 
but I think it will suit Kitten very well.
As you can see the flowers are no longer 
lying flat, so I sewed them down flat.

Better!

WANT TO SEE HER NOW!?!?


HERE


SHE


IS!!

Such a sweet face!

I will work on her hair a little more,
but I think it is a definite improvement!

Welcome Back Kitten!

18 comments:

Brenda Savage said...

Hi Linda,
Thank you, I’m very happy with how this girl came out. I was really procrastinating about getting her ready, but she was pretty simple when I got started. It is rewarding restoring these dolls. I feel like they represent our history in a small way.
Hugs
Brenda

Brenda Savage said...

Thank you Sandra!
This is exactly why I love restoring these dolls! I want to give them a second life. This doll could definitely ended up in the trash and now she is all pretty again. She is really much prettier than I anticipated!!
Hugs
Brenda

Anna said...

Hi Brenda,
She looks lovely. How will you ever part with her? I love the Kitten dolls they are so sweet.
Anna

Brenda Savage said...

Hi Anna,
Well…, to be honest, I have not listed Kitten for sale. As I frequently do when I’ve worked on a doll, I’ve fallen in love. I will make a donation to the charity based on her value. (Shhh, it’s a secret!).
Hugs
Brenda

Jenny said...

Brenda, I too love to restore dolls back to as close to original as I am able; most stay here, though! I have a couple of baby dolls I've found at local thrift stores that I couldn't leave there, and cleaned them up. While I don't collect baby dolls, they are still here! lol
Hugs,
Jenny :-)

Anonymous said...

Brenda you never cease to amaze me. You did such a wonderful job with all of the dolls. That last one was such a hard job and you were perfect. The doll is lovely. That dress is so pretty.
Marilyn

Anonymous said...

Thank you Brenda for sharing these lovely make overs. The dolls are all so beautiful. A great job as usual.
Joan

Brenda Savage said...

Hi Jenny,
My favorite thing is bringing home thrift store dolls and restoring them. These dolls were sent to me by my friend who volunteers in a thrift store, so now my friends are adding to my obsession! Haha! I just can't leave a doll behind to be possibly thrown out! I didn't use to collect baby dolls either, but now I am sitting at my desk looking at 6!
Hugs
Brenda

Brenda Savage said...

Hi Marilyn,
I enjoyed working on these dolls so much. I think because they looked SO bad I was fired by a desire to make an amazing change in them. I really surprised myself with how nice these dolls turned out. The last 2 I was really doubtful if I could make them looks like anything and I think they turned out the best!
Hugs
Brenda

Brenda Savage said...

Hi Joan,
I am so glad you like what I have done. I was really doubtful if I could fix a couple of them. When that last baby's fabric tore I knew I was really in for it now. Remaking the cloth body was actually really pretty simple. What a difference it made!
Hugs
Brenda

Anonymous said...

Hi Brenda;
What a great job you did on the dolls. The pink dress is just right for a brand new look on the doll. I am partial to Thumbelina since I had one when I was young.
Marion

Brenda Savage said...

Hi Marion,
I love hearing about the dolls everyone had as children. I had never heard of Thumbelina until fixing this doll. Apparently they are very popular with collectors. The pink dress came on one of the other dolls. It was a perfect fit for Kitten. I’ve been fortunate finding several vintage baby dresses lately!
Hugs
Brenda

Maryn said...

Oh my! Kitten came out adorable! Amazing transformation!

Brenda Savage said...

Thank you Maryn,
I must admit, I fell in love with Kitten and she is staying with me! I am making a donation for her value to Doggone Good Treasures. The last doll is now listed and I hope someone adopts her!
Hugs
Brenda

GaelaLayla said...

Oh she turned out lovely! -Gaela

Brenda Savage said...

Hi Gaela,
Thank you! I did fall in love with her! She will be staying with me.
Hugs
Brenda

Anonymous said...

Absolutely beautiful!

Brenda Savage said...

Thank you Anonymous!
Hugs
Brenda