My Dolls Click image to go to post

My Dolls Click image to go to post
Click image to see my favorite dolls. Email me at: thesavagedollblog@gmail.com

Tuesday, December 06, 2022

Three Restoration Dolls, Part 3


In my last post I was beginning work on this
1930s Composition Horsman Baby Doll.

Her left leg was broken and her right leg was
pretty crackled. Her body fabric was stained 
and weakened.

My husband was helping me to rebuild 
this left leg and restore the right leg.

BUT! Let's not forget this little girl...
The third doll in this group is this 
Polish Cloth Doll with a plastic face.

I cleaned her face.

And brushed out her bangs.

Her dress was washed and pressed.

Her bangs were put back under her wig.
I'm not sure if this is her original body or not?

AND!?!


Here she is! There was really not much this
doll needed.  I am pleased seeing her 
all put back together.

NOW! on to the Horsman Baby!

I repainted her face.

After TONS of wood putty and sanding
I repainted her arms and legs.

I made her a new body and reinforced the seams.

The limbs get pushed up through the body until
they are all the way inside the fabric.

Then, the leg is wired under the leg lip.

Twisted tight and folded under the lip.

Here is the reconstructed leg.
Not bad!

Want to see her all put together?


HERE


SHE


IS!



Her original dress is still in the works, but
I thought she looked pretty in this
Christening gown.

Welcome back Horsman Baby!

BEFORE    and    AFTER


AN
ADDITION!!

After I published this post, I realized the
Horsman Baby's remade cloth body was too big!
SO, I took her apart again and resized
her body.  It is much better!

She is a petite 16" again.

Here she is all ready for cold Christmas weather!

Very sweet.

Welcome Baby Bonnie,
Merry Christmas!!

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

The Horsman baby is adorable! Such a pretty girl under all her troubles! They all look special again. Thanks for showing us what can be done. Beth

Maryn said...

Wow! What an amazing difference!

Brenda Savage said...

HI Beth,
Thank you! The reason I started this blog is to show people how they can save their own dolls! I'm so pleased you like how she looks now. I am pleased with her too. I need to go back and redo her body a little I think. I made it from a previous doll body pattern and I think it's a little too wide.
Oh well!
Hugs
Brenda

Brenda Savage said...

Hi Maryn,
Thank you! I enjoy restoring these babies so someone else will have the joy of playing with them!
Hugs
Brenda

Brenda Savage said...

HI Linda,
Thank you so much! I must admit, when I realized her leg was in pieces I hesitated to get her, but with my husband's help the leg looks great! Her face is very sweet and I am happy with how she turned out. The reason I started this blog was to show people how they can improve their own dolls. SO many sad dolls just need a little TLC!
Hugs
Brenda

Anna said...

Hi Brenda,
the dolls look wonderful. They always seem to look happier after you have helped them. I love the way you try new things, so many people would have thrown them away, especially with the broken bits.
Anna

Brenda Savage said...

Hi Anna,
Thank you so much! I do love seeing a doll transformed and looking lovely again. It brings me such joy. I am thrilled we were able to save that leg. I was actually grateful that as much was left as we found. We wre able to rebuild it and now she is all in one piece!
Hugs
Brenda

Ginene said...

Amazing work and I love your good eye in picking out the correct era fabric. You know, I had the Polish doll as did my two sisters. In my memory she wore a scarf.

Brenda Savage said...

HI Ginene,
Thank you! I think the POlish doll may have worn a scarf originally. I'm sure they are hard to find today. I learned about fabrics from my Grandma who also taught me to sew. She loved the history of dolls and fashion. I'm grateful for all she taught me!
Hugs
Brenda