My Dolls Click image to go to post

My Dolls Click image to go to post
Click image to see my favorite dolls. Email me at: thesavagedollblog@gmail.com

Friday, July 03, 2020

Charlotte's Dress and shoes

I recently found and restored my Patsy Joan, Charlotte.

She came wearing this sweet dress, but
sadly, it was not in great shape.

Charlotte's dress is very fragile.
As you can imagine.

This dress has these embroidered touches that I love!

But there is also a lot of damage from age.
I think the best I can hope for
is stabilize and hide the most obvious holes.

There are a lot of tiny holes and torn lace.
Not surprising since this dress is around 80+
years old!
I did a gentle wash in cold water and 
started repairs after the dress was dry.

The chemise is actually in pretty good shape.

This is the only tear in this garment.
It has had a hook and eye that will
need to be resewn or replaced.

Her shoes are in bad shape.

and her socks are not much better.
I'm not sure how much I can do here.
I think the socks and shoes are a loss.

BUT NOT HER DRESS! 
I am determined to save it!

I have repaired the tear in the collar. I 
plan on adding some embroidered flowers
to hide all the little holes.

All the holes in both garments are 'Fray Checked'.
This is my go to when I need to stabilize old 
and fraying fabric.

This is the underarm section of the dress.
It was gathered and finished with lace.
The lace is deteriorated, so I need a solution.

I 'Fray Checked' and re-gathered the fabric by
hand. 

I tried on the dress to gauge the spacing of my gathers.
Looks good!

Here is the finished underarm area.  I took some 
advice from my friend Janet and used 
vintage lace to repair this area.
I folded the lace over the gathers
and stitched it down securely.
I'll repeat this with the opposite arm.

So, I embroidered some flowers to cover
the holes.  I tried to make the flowers
look as if they are falling from above.
I am deciding about using 
buttons on the shoulders or staying with 
the hook and eye closures.

This dress has what I call butterfly sleeves.
This is the repaired shoulder area.
The lace needed to be reattached.

This is the torn shoulder on the chemise.
I Fray Checked all my repair work.

I very carefully removed the hook and eye 
closures so they could be re-positioned 
for a better fit. I Fray Checked all the 
old stitch holes.


SO, Want to see the chemise and dress now??


OK


Here they are!



Here is the cleaned and repaired chemise.
I love the lacy legs!

And here is the dress!


 I tried to make the new flowers look
like they had always been there.
I used the same daisy pattern stitch that
you see on the pockets

I decided that using the hook and eye closures would
be best to preserve as much of the original
look of the dress as possible.

Well, Charlotte told me she was very happy 
to have her dress back and all repaired. 

Almost forgot the Before and After!

Thank you for stopping by!

One more thing!
My friend Karen Keen from the 
suggested I make a pattern from this little dress!
So here it is.

I put a 1 inch mark on the pattern so you
 can tell if it is printing out at the right size.

ENJOY!

15 comments:

Zacisze Lenki said...

A beautiful doll. You have wonderfully renovated her things. Hugs

Janet said...

Hello BRenda,

What a careful renovation you've done on this dress. I really like the falling flowers you've embroidered to cover the tiny holes, such a neat trick!

There is nothing like the look, and feel of old fabric - no matter how nice, new fabric just never feels the same. I am sure glad you took the time to fix this - she looks so precious.

Janet

Savagebd said...

Thank you Zacisze,

I am very pleased with this doll and dress. They were all worth the work to repair them. I looked at your dolls as well! They are so wonderful!

Hugs
Brenda

Savagebd said...

Thank you Janet,

And thank you for the idea of using lace to aid in my repairs. It was the perfect solution to the underarm gathers. The original lace was just too far gone.

You are right about old fabric. I am so pleased that I took the time and effort to save these little garments. Definitely worth the time and trouble. Now I have saved something that is original to my Charlotte!

Hugs
Brenda

Dorothy In PA said...

Well, you have worked your magic again. Charlotte looks adorable in her "new" old outfit. I think she is ready to lead the fashion parade.

Savagebd said...

Thank you Dorothy,

I must admit I am very happy with how this little dress came out. Mostly I am pleased that I saved this doll dress.

Hugs
Brenda

Anna said...

Hi Brenda,
Charlotte's dress is really pretty.It looks so much fresher and brighter.I am so glad you were able to mend it.I did wonder what could be done with it.
Charlotte certainly looks loved now.
Anna

Savagebd said...

Thank you Sandra,

I am very happy I made the effort to save this little dress. I have found out the lady who sold this doll was the original owners daughter. Her mom got to see how Charlotte looks now and was SO happy! So really worth it.

Hugs
Brenda

Savagebd said...

Thank you Anna,

Me too Anna! I was not sure after I took a closer look at this fragile dress if I could save it. I asked myself the question, "could I make it any worse? Will it deteriorate further if I do nothing?" Of course I knew I could do something. I do love my Charlotte, I am so happy to have her!

Hugs
Brenda

lil red hen said...

Oh so pretty!! It's so wonderful for you to use your talent to restore these dolls and their clothes; a little piece of history has been saved. I'm afraid most people would discard a dress in bad condition. Every post about your dolls is a joy to me.

Savagebd said...

Thank you Charlotte,

I must say that I am happy with how her little dress came out. I agree that it is worth it to save a tiny piece of history! I am so glad that my posts bring you a little joy.

Hugs
Brenda

MyFarmhouseBlue said...

You do the most wonderful work with restoration of every kind. Charlotte and all of your dolls are so lucky to have you. :o)

Savagebd said...

Thank you Carolyn,

I am so pleased when other doll lovers think my work is good. I am not really a seamstress, so I just figure things out as I go along.

Hugsa
Brenda

Janet said...

Hi Brenda,

Karen called my attention to the pattern. I didn't see it earlier.
i will be saving it for my Patsy dolls. I bet it can be resized for any size Patsy. I know I have some old pillowcases that coul become soft light dresses!

I love the remodeling you did on this dress - and i can see the Charlotte does too. Good call on the embroidered flowers to cover the holes - refreshing lemonade from lemons, for sure!

Janet

Savagebd said...

Thank you Janet!

I am so pleased you saved it. I hope to see some more dresses in our Compo Doll Club. I am so happy that Karen made this suggestion.

HUgs
Brenda