My Dolls Click image to go to post

My Dolls Click image to go to post
Click image to see my favorite dolls. Email me at: thesavagedollblog@gmail.com

Thursday, May 13, 2021

Vintage Doll Roller Skates Makeover


Awhile back I did a makeover on these 
tiny Patsyette oilcloth shoes.

I always ask myself two questions before 
attempting to restore an antique item.

1. If I do nothing, 
will the item continue to dissintegrate?

2. Can I make it worse?

Usually the answer is "yes" to the first 
and "no" to the second.
This has helped me overcome my fear
of 'ruining' vintage doll clothes
and shoes.  I have found that
almost all these items are helped by
gentle cleaning and restoring.

SO, what am I restoring today?

These 2 pair of skates for my
Mary Hoyer dolls.

The white skates were cracked.

They also had several stains.

The gold skates were darkened and the paint
was cracked.  

I started with the white skates.
First, I taped the wheels

Then I painted the boots with acrylic paint.

For the gold skates I glued
small gros-grain ribbon into the 
boot to reinforce the lacing area.

I use Tacky Glue for this kind of project.
It holds fast until it is dry.
Tacky glue is also good for re-gluing doll wigs.

I picked up 2 different gold paints.
The paint on the left is metallic.
The paint on the right is glitter!

I first painted the boots with the gold metallic.
The glitter paint I used as a second coat, it added 
sparkle, but it doesn't show in the pictures.

I thought the white skates were done, but
when I laced them up the holes tore!

SO, the white skates got the ribbon 
reinforcement too.

WANT TO SEE THE SKATES NOW?

Nina and Annie are very happy with
their restored skates!

"But mom, we wanted pom-poms!"

SO, after adding pom-poms the girls are ready to skate.

"Look I'm learning to skate!"
"Good job Annie!"

"OUCH!"
"Are you all right?"
"Yeah, help me up."

"Remember use your arms for balance."

Here are Annie and Nina showing off their
cute summer outfits.

The outfit on the left was made by myself.
The outfit on the right was made by my friend
Janet P.

These are made from a vintage Mary Hoyer
halter top and short pattern that Janet was
kind enough to share with me.

Thank you Janet!

7 comments:

Janet said...

Hello Breda,

I am fascinated by the restoration of the skates I haven't explored the patsy shoe fix, but I will in tie=mem. You are really fearless when it comes to doing this - I admire that immensely!


the grosgrain ribbon is a terrific idea - I think I can "borrow" it for my own use!


Nina and Annie look so cute skating together now, I hope I can find my skates so some of my girls can do the same!

Janet

Brenda Savage said...

Thank you Janet!

I love making things ‘new’ again. Or at least improve and preserve them as much as possible. The skates were tearing at the lace holes so I knew they needed to be reinforced. I have saved the skates for a lot of future skating fun! I hope to see your girls skating very soon as well.

Hugs
Brenda

Maryn said...

What a great fix for both of those pairs of skates! I'm always inspired and learn something new from you!

Brenda Savage said...

Thank you Maryn,

I love restoring doll clothes and shoes almost as much as restoring dolls. I know my dolls appreciate having pretty things to wear and this way their vintage items are saved.

Hugs
Brenda

Xanadu said...

Well done Brenda! You sure are good at passing on confidence. :)
Big hugs,
X

Xanadu said...

I really like what you have done here Brenda, you also have a knack of passing on confidence.
Big hugs,
X

Unknown said...

Thank you Xanadu,
That is my motivation for my blog, to encourage others to restore and refresh their own dolls. I am really happy you enjoy what I have done here. I figure there’s no reason to leave vintage shoes or accessories looking drab and worn out if we can refresh them and make them new again.
Hugs
Brenda