My Dolls Click image to go to post

My Dolls Click image to go to post
Click image to see my favorite dolls. Email me at: thesavagedollblog@gmail.com

Monday, March 21, 2022

Wardrobe Makeover!


Back in February I found this 
Ideal Crown Princess doll in a thrift store.

Soon after her makeover I found this dress lot online.
I thought this might make a wardrobe for her!
When they arrived several needed adjusting.

This blue gingham has a very Colonial look.
It was also very loose and a bit frumpy.
And SO much floofy lace!

I removed the lace and cut off the sleeves.
I wanted to reshape this into a simple bodice 
with a more flattering neckline.

Here is the dress now!

I love this simple fitted bodice.

I liked the fabric of this dress, but the 
waistband had bled red 
onto all the white fabric.

I removed the waistband and the sleeve binding.
I added a light lacey sleeve in it's place.

I added a red velvet bow that can be 
removed for washing.

I think this is better.

This dress really just needed a wash and press.

I also turned the dress around.

What do you think?

I love this dress! Sadly the blue binding
tape bled into the white fabric.

I cut off all the blue binding that was bleeding
into the white...

And reattached the collar to the bodice.

I think this worked.

A very cute summery dress.

This dress also just needed a wash and press.

After a soak in Oxyclean the dress 
looks brighter.

This dress also just needed a wash and press.
I did remove the black belt.

I'm not sure I like this belt, but the dress
looks good.

I decided to try a variation on the 
black belt.

I think this works.

There were two blouses in the mix
this flowery blouse and...

This pink gingham.
They both just got a wash and press.

I paired both blouses with slacks.
I really like this collar!

But I wasn't happy with this pairing.

This pink skirt is much better!

This dress just needed a wash and press.

I decided to try this hat with this dress.

I love it!

This dress was completely unflattering!

Am I right? So, I cut the whole bodice
off and made it a skirt!

I used the fabric from the bodice and
made a pocket.

Almost forgot to show you the cape.

Perfect for a cool evening at the beach.

One more thing. I am trying to 
decide on a name for her.
She is Julia's brash, impulsive
taller, but still little sister!

What do you like better?

Cammie
short for Camelia,

OR

Brittany?
Or share your ideas!

Update:
After showing my husband this
Post he suggested “Viola
From “Shakespeare in Love”.
This is the one to beat!

28 comments:

Unknown said...

Brenda, you did a wonderful job, as usual, transforming your Crown Princess's wardrobe! Glad to see she is joining her sisters. My pick for a name from your choices would be Viola. Have you thought about Gracie? THE princess of the 1950s was Princess Grace of Monaco.
Always look forward to your blogs.
Kathy

Anna said...

Hi Brenda,
You always find such good lots of clothes. I love the changes you have made.
She is very lucky to have such a wonderful wardrobe.
I always wonder with my dolls if they have previously had a large wardrobe that has been sold or given away, or if they have only ever had one or two dresses. Either way I am sure they appreciate new things!
The name I like is Viola.
Anna

Brenda Savage said...

Hi Kathy,
Thank you. I love makeovers! I didn’t even think about Grace of Monaco. She was so beautiful. Now i wonder which princess she represents? I’m so pleased you enjoy my blog.
Hugs
Brenda

Brenda Savage said...

Hi Anna,
This was a nice lot. There were so many nice dresses. When the package arrived there were the 2 blouses too. I had fun redoing this wardrobe. I would bet that most of these dolls came with one dress. I know a lot of moms sewed dresses. Some of these dresses were mom-made and some were factory made. As a girl I had 2 doll dresses. I always longed for more. I think that is part of my love for doll dresses now!
Hugs
Brenda

Brenda Savage said...

Hi Sandra,
Thank you! I love makeovers as you may already know, haha! I had fun with this makeover, there were so many challenges to make the dresses look and fit better. I’m so happy with my new doll and her wardrobe.
Hugs
Brenda

Karen said...

What great transformations--LOVE the fashion show! P.S. I vote for Viola!

Unknown said...

I do think Viola is good, I loved Shakespeare in love, but I think Grace is perfect because she is a princess. It is hard to not humor the husband though when he shows an interest.
You did a fantastic job as usual and you are inspiring me to get going on some doll play. You improved the style of all the dresses. I like the black belt on the pastel dress. It is very 1950s.
Faye

Brenda Savage said...

Thank you Karen,
I’m glad you enjoyed the fashion show. It looks like Viola is winning.
Hugs
Brenda

Brenda Savage said...

Thank you Faye,
Maybe she will be Viola Grace? I kind of like that. I’m glad i could inspire you. I was really having trouble getting motivated because i had too many projects at once! My husband took one project into his shop and we are finishing that together. A mystery!
The black belt is for a 14” doll, but i will make something similar for the 10.5” dolls. I’m glad you liked it too.
Hugs
Brenda

Doreen, Arkansas said...

Hi Brenda. What another fun transformation for you to share with us. I absolutely love all the vintage fabrics. You have such a keen eye for reshaping some thing old into some thing wonderful. I vote for Viola Grace. She seems very regal standing with her sister.
Can't wait to see the "mystery" project!!
Hugs for a blessed day,
Doreen in Arkansas

Maryn said...

Amazing transformations--such a fantastic 1950s evocation! I like Viola Grace--or to me, Violet Grace sounds more 1950s!

Brenda Savage said...

Thank you Doreen,
I love finding these vintage dresses because of the vintage fabrics. You can’t replace that, right?
I really like redoing doll clothes to make them work better.
I think Viola Grace may be the winner!
Hugs
Brenda

Brenda Savage said...

Hi Maryn,
Thank you! You know how much I enjoy makeovers. I am so happy with how these dresses came out. Now my new doll is all set with her own wardrobe. I thought about Violet and Viola or Vi for a nickname. Hmm.
Hugs
Brenda

Jenny said...

Hi, Brenda, I know you have found some information about CP; I have added two articles to the LMRandFriends files. A. Glenn Mandeville's is the most extensive. I suspect your fall print dress, the one you paired the hat with, may be one made for her originally. I just has that look. You have done wonders, as always, making a pretty, usable wardrobe for you Viola Grace!
Hugs, Jenny :-)

Brenda Savage said...

Hi Linda,
Thank you. I am happy with this new wardrobe. A couple of these dresses really tried my skills, but happy with the results. You are right her name will be Viola Grace!
Hugs
Brenda

Brenda Savage said...

Hi Jenny,
Thanks for adding some more information about Viola. I am very interested in learning more about her. I was stunned to find she was an Ideal doll that came before LMR. I assumed she was a clone! Glad I asked first.
Hugs
Brenda

Susan J in IL said...

Just catching up here with the more recent blog posts, and what a treat to see this fabulous wardrobe revived so beautifully! I skimmed through the comments, and applaud the suggestion of 'Viola Grace' - it's absolutely perfect. (Thank you for including the photo of your husband helping out - what a sweet guy!)

Susan J in IL

Brenda Savage said...

Hi Susan!
So glad to hear from you. I had fun remaking these dresses. It made for a great instant wardrobe for Viola. I always love finding vintage dresses. They are all so special. My husband is SO sweet and SO helpful. I’m glad you appreciated his photo.
Hugs
Brenda

Anonymous said...

Brenda you did a great job on the clothes. The wardrobe is bigger than most people's. The doll is pretty.
Marilyn

Anonymous said...

Wonderful job on all the clothe. The doll is a beauty. and looks good in any of the outfits.
Marion

Brenda Savage said...

Thank you Marilyn,
I am happy with this wardrobe and especially with Viola!
Hugs
Brenda

Brenda Savage said...

Thank you Marion,
I enjoy these makeovers! I am very happy with Viola and all her new clothes.
Hugs
Brenda

LittleGinnyFaith said...

Good job with those makeovers! Do you remember all your dolls' names? I've given dolls names but then I forget what I named them. The only name I remember is my travel doll's name and she doesn't even travel with me anymore.

LittleGinnyFaith said...

You made it too nice. Now she'll never move out! Betty

Brenda Savage said...

I must admit to sometimes forgetting a doll’s name, but mostly the dolls I don’t play with as often. It also helps to have a blog! Haha If you click on the photo header on my blog my main dolls all come up with their names and stories of how I found them.
Hugs
Brenda

Brenda Savage said...

Hahaha! Yes I think you are right!
Hugs
Brenda

Anonymous said...

I enjoy your blog very much. I have been following for a couple of years but I have never posted any comments .

I’m so jealous of your attic doll room ! I love your patsy dolls but I don’t sew like you do so I have mostly the dolls that share clothes . Ginny , Muffie,Alexanderkins, and Ginger . Also Jan , Jill , Jeff and Bob . All vintage and many from my childhood . I love setting scenes and I have my childhood furniture and outfits .
Thanks for sharing your doll stories and makeovers . Mary

Brenda Savage said...

Thank you Mary!
I'm so glad you like my blog. That is the whole reason I created this blog, to share with others all the fun I have. I love when I hear about someone who still has their childhood dolls. I have tried replacing childhood dolls from the 70s, but I just don't connect with them as much as I do the dolls from the 30s, 40s, or 50s. My doll room is my retreat. I love it in here!
I hope to hear from you in the future.
Hugs
Brenda