My Dolls Click image to go to post

My Dolls Click image to go to post
Click image to see my favorite dolls. Email me at: thesavagedollblog@gmail.com

Saturday, July 02, 2022

Going to Grandma's House!

All right Amanda, I think we're ready to go!
Are you sure you'll be all right on your own?

Don't be silly Julia, Tom and Lauren are 
coming over later today to discuss
wedding plans. I'll be lucky to have a 
moment to myself!

OK, Julia, I marked our map. 
Texas or Bust!

Bye Pacific Ocean!
Hello desert!

El Centro, CA.

Are we there yet? (giggles)

No, Viola, we are not!

Tombstone, Arizona
Oooh, where are all the cowboys?

Miller's Mercantile, Tombstone Arizona.
I keep expecting a gunfight to break out!

Finally, New Mexico.
Wow look at that view!
Let's go to dinner.

Carlsbad Cavern, New Mexico.

Carlsbad Cavern Doll's Theater.

Cute display in Carlsbad, New Mexico, Gift Shop.

Look at that Butte Viola!

Finally we made it into Texas!
What a lovely spot to camp.

Georgetown, TX

Almost to Grandma's House!

Cleburne, TX.
Almost there!!

Finally Grandma's house!

Well, you girls made a long trip just to see me!
I am so happy to see you.

We missed you Grandma, and we had a
 great time driving to see you Grandma!
Road trips are such an adventure.

Grandma, is that a quilt you made?

Why, yes, it is. 

Grandma, were those your dolls
from your childhood?

Yes, they are!  I hope one of you
will cherish them after I am gone.
Now, let me see this travel trailer of yours.

Are you telling me, that you two children
drove all the way from California?
Dragging this contraption all the way?!

Yes, grandma, but we were very careful.

Sakes alive! What is the world coming to?

Well girls, get your hats, we're going to church.

Oh, grandma, I didn't know you went to church on Fridays?

Well, yes, it's BINGO night!

Miss Eula's bringing lemonade, and I have made 
my famous bundt cake!


MORE ABOUT OUR ROAD TRIP TO TEXAS

Our family did actually drive to Texas to 
visit my Mom and my Aunt.

Our first stop in Texas was in Georgetown, to see my Aunt Judy.

My Aunt and I visited some shops at the Georgetown Square.

Me and my Aunt Judy grabbing lunch.

My aunt showed me some of my grandmother's beautiful quilts.



This quilt was the first my Grandma ever made.

While with my Aunt we found some dolls at 
a thrift shop.  This Miss Margie doll...

And this 1950s Effanbee Babyette.

At the Antique shop I found this 
Ideal Toni and another vintage dress.  

The vintage dress, modeled by Nina.

The dress is a wrap dress.
I will make a pattern and share it later!

Toni has her original dress, but it is dusty.
Her hair is pretty good, but needs a
wash and style.

After we arrived home I got to work
 on all 3 dolls.

Here is Toni in her clean dress
and clean hair.

Definitely an improvement.

She looks happy now.
I'm still deciding what to do with Miss Toni!

The Miss Margie doll played Grandma.

She is up for adoption on eBay.
She was wearing this dress...

And I added this extra outfit
from a bag of doll clothes I found
in another thrift store!

The little Effanbee Baby is also up for adoption.

I know! Why would I part with them?
Well, I am trying to limit my doll collection.
It is so easy to get out of control!
(Sigh)

Old Town Whitney, TX.
After visiting with my Aunt, we headed north
to Whitney Texas, were my Mom lives
with my brother and his wife.

The next larger town next to Whitney is Cleburne, TX.


We went all through the Bus Depot Antique shop! 
It was THREE stories! 

Me and my Mom Linda!!

We had a great time visiting family and friends.
And of course we ate some fantastic
 TEX-MEX!!

It was a little over 3600 miles there and back!
WHEW!

We did see Carlsbad Cavern and Tombstone, AZ.
We also stopped at the Pima Air museum.

Anyway, I hope you enjoyed seeing 
some small part of our drive to Texas!

HUGS!
Brenda

13 comments:

Janet said...

Hi Brenda,

I think this was the best Blog post ever! I laughed at Grandma's Bingo. It took e back to my own grandma taking me to Bingo with her!

The trip was wonderrful for your girls, and I am sure your whole family. , it sure was good to see you and your Mom, and your aunt, having a good time together!

Janet

Brenda Savage said...

Hi Janet!
I have been home for nearly a week and I’m still worn out! We had a good time. These long road trips always have their ups and downs. The Tombstone photos were so empty of people because my husband and I were up at 6am wandering around snapping photos. My mom is doing well. I was so happy to see her and hug her! I’m so pleased you enjoyed the girls trip. Their grandma is a hoot!! I wasn’t sure many people would get the reference to Bingo night! Haha
Hugs
Brenda

GaelaLayla said...

I was so excited to see a new post! What a wonderful trip! Toni is beautiful I have a brunette one and she is definitely a favorite!
-Gaela<3

Brenda Savage said...

Hi Gaela,
I’m so glad you enjoyed the post. I had fun putting it together. O am still deciding whether to keep the Toni doll or not! It’s a difficult decision! I’ll keep everyone posted.
Hugs
Brenda

Doreen, Arkansas said...

Dear Brenda, so happy to see this post and first the doll's version and then your Aunt and Mom. The quilts were amazing. You had some great antique store dolly finds. Thanks for sharing your trip, Doreen in Arkansas

Brenda Savage said...

Hi Doreen,
It was a great trip, but I already miss my family. My grandma made lovely quilts. It was so nice to see them. She made a wedding quilt for each of her grandchildren. I still have mine! I’m so glad you enjoyed our trip, I had fun creating the doll version. The real trip had its ups and downs with two teenagers along!
Hugs
Brenda

Anonymous said...

Hi Linda,
It was a great trip, but it’s always good to get home again!
I will try to get a pattern made soon. I have some vintage doll clothes a friend brought me so I will do clothes and pattern for my next post.
Hugs
Brenda

Betty said...

I live in Texas and I rarely find any decent dolls! I did find a Madame Alexander doll some weeks back for $6, but that was a rare bargain find! That was quite a trip for the dolls and you! Enjoyed the story and pictures. Betty

Brenda Savage said...

Hi Betty,
You know, I am a little obsessive about going to EVERY thrift store and antique shop I can find! I must say I was happy with what I found. What a great feeling finding a doll and taking her home and making her beautiful again!!
Hugs
Brenda

Maryn said...

I always love your doll stories! So glad you had good visits with your mom and aunt. Those long trips aren't easy but looks like you made the most of this one.

Beautiful doll finds and as always I loved your before and after pics!

Brenda Savage said...

Hi Maryn,
Thank you! I am always happy when you enjoy my little doll stories. It was a LONG trip and we had the usual us and downs. During the trip my two teens got grumpy and difficult, but now that we are back home they are full of fun memories! HAha. We knew it was going to create lasting memories.
Hugs
Brenda

Anonymous said...

Fun vacation, beautiful people dolls, and quilts! What wonderful keepsakes!

Brenda Savage said...

Thank you Anonymous!
It was a fun trip. We really enjoyed it.
Hugs
Brneda