My Dolls Click image to go to post

My Dolls Click image to go to post
Click image to see my favorite dolls. Email me at: thesavagedollblog@gmail.com

Wednesday, July 13, 2022

The FINAL Charity Doll!

As you  may already be aware, I have been fixing up
these dolls for Doggone Good treasures in
Pine Mountain, Georgia.

1961 Madame Alexander Kitten Doll

1955 Madame Alexander Bonnie

1950s American Character Toodles

1950s Thumbelina

I left the worst looking doll for last...

Oh my heavens...what a sad baby doll!

Even I, as a doll lover, could not see
much hope for this character!

BUT, I decided to just see what I could do.

The doll's cloth body was really bad.

I removed the baby's head since it would need
different treatments than the plastic limbs.
I am using a baking soda paste for cleaning.

After the first cleaning she was a little better.
I could see this was supposed to be a
newborn baby.

As I was moving the baby around during the
washing of her limbs this happened!

Looks like I will be making a new body!

I started taking the arms and legs off the old body.
Here's the original crier, but it doesn't work.

I made a pattern from the old body.
I had this linen in my fabric bin, so this
baby will have a light cloth body.

Stitched it together in the same way as the original.

The baby's head is really yellowish-brown.
I read that sometimes peroxide can help lighten
this early version vinyl/rubber.

I put the baby back together in the original 
fashion using wires on the limbs.

For the head I used a tie-wrap.
You can see the R&B neck mark.

Here is baby in her new body!

I started repainting eyes and lips.
This took several tries!
I finally decided this is as good as
this baby gets!

WANT TO SEE HER NOW?


HERE



SHE 



IS!!!


She is an Arranbee (R&B) Dream Baby from
the 1950s.




Let me just say, I surprised myself!
I really thought I might have a doll that
could not be saved!

Before and After


14 comments:

Brenda Savage said...

Hi Sandra,
Thanks! I was really unsure about this baby. Her condition was SO bad. I am a little shocked that she came out as good as she did. I just kept moving forward and trying something else until she was loveable again!
Hugs
Brenda

Maryn said...

Wow! That was an amazing transformation! She looks very sweet and cute now!

Jenny said...

Brava on another baby saved, Brenda!
Hugs, Jenny :-)

Brenda Savage said...

Hi Maryn,
Thank you so much! I am just as amazed as you are! Truly, I was not sure I could help this baby. I am really pleased that I managed to finish all 5 dolls!
Hugs
Brenda

Brenda Savage said...

Hi Jenny,
Thank you so much! I am as amazed as you! This doll was in such bad shape. I think that is why I left her for last. She is actually a very sweet newborn baby, with the poufy, scrunchy face of a newborn. WHEW! Am I glad I finished these dolls and now they are all going to new mommies.
Hugs
Brenda

Anna said...

Hi Brenda,
You did so well with your restorations. I am so happy you could save them all. I am glad your friend sent them to you. Some would have just put them in the bin, especially this last little baby. I love the dresses you have chosen for them all too.
Anna

Brenda Savage said...

Hi Anna,
Thank you! I am so grateful that she sent them to me. I hate the idea of putting dolls in the bin. I am so happy I could give hem another life. I was fortunate to have a bunch of doll/baby dresses come my way recently. It is almost like someone knew I would need them!
Hugs
Brenda

Brenda Savage said...

Hi Linda,
Thank you! I really surprised myself with this group of dolls. They were in pretty bad shape!
Hugs
Brenda

Doreen, Arkansas said...

This poor baby was so not a Dream Baby when she first arrived. You worked your magic on her and now she will be going to a new home soon. Absolutely love all your vintage doll and baby dresses too. Thanks for sharing her transformation, it is one of your best, Doreen in Arkansas

Brenda Savage said...

Hi Doreen,
Thank you! This baby was in such bad shape, I really didn’t know what I could do for her. I was astonished to see how she was improved with cleaning. I started this blog so others would see how to clean and restore their own dolls. I’m so pleased you liked my work.
Hugs
Brenda

Janet said...

I am amazed are how lovely each of these dolls turned out . Especially that last one - she is truly a Dream Baby now! Good going!

Janet

Brenda Savage said...

Hi Janet,
Thank you! I am as amazed as all of you that this baby turned out so good! I left her for last because she looked so bad. I was afraid of rot and who knows what. Turns out she was just REALLY dirty.
Hugs
Brenda

Anonymous said...

That's awesome. I watched a YouTube video once where someone repaired an original crier. I've not had opportunity to try it myself, but perhaps someday... nice work as usual!

Brenda Savage said...

HI Anonymous,
Thank you! I think you are someone we know, but forgot to sign your name! I wondered if I could fix the crier, but decided against it. I think some day I might try it though.
Hugs
Brenda