My Dolls Click image to go to post

My Dolls Click image to go to post
Click image to see my favorite dolls. Email me at: thesavagedollblog@gmail.com

Tuesday, November 28, 2023

Another thrift Wellie Wisher!

Look who I found thrifting!

This is Willa, an American Girl
Wellie Wisher Doll.

I fell in love with these little girls when they 
first came out at American Girl. At that time, 
my daughter had outgrown dolls and I 
could not justify purchasing one
of these dolls just for myself.

But time marches on and I found my FIRST
Wellie Wisher at a thrift store.
This is actually Willa #1

So when I saw Willa 2 in a bin I could not
leave her behind!!
(I swear she whispered, "Please don't leave me!")

This is Willa 2.  She was wearing this dress
and she had her original panties.

She was dirty and her hair....

Was a wooly rats nest!!

She was quite dirty, I am sure from lots of love .
How could I leave her behind when,
I KNOW, 
I can help her find a new girl to love her?

I've got my cleaning crew and she's ready for a bath.

Here is Willa during her bath.
Look at all that DIRT that
came off with the magic eraser!

All clean!
Willa looks happier doesn't she?

I put her dress and panties in to soak.

Here is Willa 1 and Willa 2, side by side.

You can see how wooly Willa 2's hair is.

Using a ceramic flat iron on the lowest setting,
I straightened Willa 2's hair.  I only do about 1/2"
section at a time while the hair is still damp.

Next I put some wig Styler Conditioner on each 
section of hair and rolled it up.

Willa wore the curlers overnight and here is
the result from the first curl.

All her curls look great!

I had this little Minnie Mouse set.
Willa loves the dress and she now 
wants to go to Disneyland!

She also got some shoes and socks.

So, this is the dress she came in.
It's too long and the underskirt is raveling.

I hemmed the underskirt.

I shortened the bodice.

Whenever satin is closed with velcro,
this happens. Frays and snags.
UGH.
I removed the velcro and added a snap.

My solution is to create a lace covering.
This will hide the snags and add
a little cap sleeve look.

Here is the dress after hemming and
adding the lace.

BEFORE and...

AFTER!!



AND...


AFTER!!

Willa is up for adoption here:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/235320108043

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Brenda Willa number 2's hair looks gorgeous . Now you have tin Willas.
Enjoy.
Marion

Brenda Savage said...

HI Marion,
Thank you. I am pleased with how Willa 2 came out. Sadly, I have a "no two exact dolls" rule. I will be putting Willa 2 up for adoption.
Hugs
Brenda

Maryn said...

Such a great transformation!

Janet said...

HI Brenda,

I have always loved Willa, and you have really brought out her beauty - great job on her hair! I am totally surprised by your use of the flat iron - I would be worried about frying her lovely hair. But it sure turned out perfect.

I am not i the market for a new doll, even though her looks do appeal to me, I hope she finds a good home, with other Wellies.

janet

Brenda Savage said...

HI Maryn,
So glad you like how she came out! I really like Willa, she is so cute.
HUgs
Brenda

Brenda Savage said...

HI Janet,
Me too! Willa and all the Wellie Wishers are so cute. I love their wellie boots. I only use the flat iron while the hair is damp. It acts a bit like a boil perm. I really think the curlers with LOTS of conditoiner helps cover a lot of bad ends. I made it clear on her listing that she is not perfect, but hoping someone will take her home. Hopefully someone with a little girl! :)
HUgs
Brenda

LauraV said...

Hope this comment makes it. I enjoy your doll room tours, and have learned so much about dolls from your blog. My favorite part is compo corner. Happy new Year
Laura V.

Brenda Savage said...

Hi Laura,
You made it! I have my comment settings so that I see the comment first before it gets posted. I try and check each day to see if I have any new messages. I am SO pleased you enjoy my blog. It is for the very reasons you mentioned that I do this blog. I want to share how simple it is to save and restore dolls. When we do, we are saving a bit of history, how we dressed, our ideas of beauty, etc. Thanks for taking the time to leave a message.
Hugs
Brenda