My Dolls Click image to go to post

My Dolls Click image to go to post
Click image to see my favorite dolls. Email me at: thesavagedollblog@gmail.com

Sunday, June 09, 2024

My dolls and their Times

I have frequently said that dolls 
are a small piece of history. 
Dolls remind us of how our 
grandmothers played and dressed.
Dolls allow us to hold a little bit of
 history in our hands.

I wanted to share my current dolls and
the eras they come from.  Starting with my 
oldest dolls to my newest.

The 1920s and 30s 
A big reason I grew up loving dolls
 was my grandmother.
This is my Grandmother in 1931.
She was 10 years old.

This is my Grandmother's tiny china head doll.
She is 6.5" tall. She has lived almost all
my life in a china cabinet.
Now she is a very special member 
of my doll family.

Clara 1925, 15" tall.
My grandmother had a larger china head
doll, possibly similar to my Clara. My 
grandma's doll's head was broken by 
her younger sister.  My Grandmother
never forgot her lost doll.

This is my McGuffey Ana from 1937.
She is 13" tall. I found her in an Antique shop.

This is how she looked when I found her.
She was SO sad!

This is my American Character Sally 
from the 1930s, she is 19" tall.
Sally is wearing a vintage 1930s doll dress.  
I love this fabric with children 
playing with hoops and balls!

This is my Patsy baby from the 1930s.
She came in her original christening dress.

These are my two Patsyettes, 9" tall.
Helena and Lillibet also from the 30s.

The 1940s 

My Patsy Joan (Joan) is from the 1940s.
She was fully restored when I found her.

My 2nd Patsy Joan (Charlotte) also 
from the 1940s.

This is how Charlotte looked when I
found her online. She just needed
a little cleaning.

Also from the 1940s are my two
Georgene Raggedy Ann and Andy.
The Georgene dolls were the last dolls
commissioned by the family of 
Johnny Gruelle,
the author of the Raggedy Ann stories.
Always check the label of those old 
Raggedy Ann dolls!!

The 1950s 

I am begining to realize a large portion of
my dolls are from the 1950s.

This is my Madame Alexander Cissy.
Cissy is 20" tall. She is wearing a
mom-made dress which is vintage 50s.

I found Cissy in a thrift store for $20!
She was wearing her original dress too!

My Miss Revlon, Marylou, is also from the 1950s.
She is 17" tall. Marylou is wearing
a vintage Revlon Kissing Pink dress.

I found Marylou in a thrift store.
She was one of the dirtiest dolls
I have ever restored.

Little Miss Revlon at 10.5" tall was the small
version of Miss Revlon. My Little Miss Revlon,
 Julia, is wearing a Revlon yellow school dress.

My brunette LMR Lauren.

My Ideal Crown Princess Doll, Viola.
She is actually a precursor to the Little Miss
Revlon dolls. She is 10.5" tall.
There is disagreement if she was
supposed to be a model of Queen Elizabeth II
or Princess Grace of Monaco.

My daughter found Viola in a
thrift store for me. I obviously
raised my daughter right!

This is my American Character Toni, also 10.5".
She is a contemporary to the Little
Miss Revlon Doll.

These two fellows are my Uneeda Bob dolls.
They are John and Chris, twin brothers.
They are 11" tall.

John and Chris both got a makeover
when they came to my house.

This is my Vogue Jeff, named Thomas.
He is 10.5 " tall like the girls.
He is a brother doll to the 
Vogue Jill and Jan dolls.

This is how Jeff looked when he arrived.
Jeff was repainted as well.

This is my 16" Tiny Tears Doll. Lara, from the 1950s.
She not only is a drink and wet baby, but she
cries tears!

Lara is another thrift store find.
So glad I brought her home!

This is my 1950s Madame Alexander Maggie.
She is 14" tall. She is wearing a 
vintage Mary Hoyer dress.

Maggie was a thrift store find, well
actually she was in a box of doll
parts in a used book store!

This is my 1950s Mary Hoyer doll.
Also 14" tall. She is wearing a vintage 
Mary Hoyer dress.

Mary Hoyer was designed to be a model for
crocheted or knitted children's clothes. 
She is frequently shown in knit
skating or Skiing outfits.

This is my Betsy McCall doll Melanie, also
from the 1950s. These 8" dolls were 
also called "Tiny Betsy".

I found Melanie in an antique shop, but her
head was off! After a restring she's perfect!

The 1960s 

Madame Alexander Puddin released in 1965.
Her name is Bella, but I still call her Puddin.

The 1960s was also when the tiny Kiddle dolls
were first released.
I got in trouble for bringing my kiddles to school
in my book bag. Specifically my Lucky Lockets!

I had several Lucky Lockets. They could
be worn as a necklace, a pin, or a barrete.
(This doll is not mine, just for reference)

I also had Kiddle Kolognes as a girl.
These are my two Kiddle Kolognes. I loved
these dolls because they all smelled like flowers!

This is my Florence Niddle Kiddle.
I found her in a thrift store, naked and
alone in a large bin of toys!
I found out she was a nurse Kiddle, so I
made her a nurse uniform.


I made her a travel house with this little case.

Here is the inside. 

I also have this Dainty Deer Kiddle.  I had one
like this as a child.  She was sadly eaten by....

My Grandma's ravenouse
Pomeranian, Missy Pooh.

The 1970s 

Crissy was first released in 1969, but
my first Crissy I must have recieved
around 1972.

My first Crissy looked just like this.
After I got my Crissy, Sears came
out with her little sister...

Cricket! She is 15" tall. 

Sadly, my original Crissy dolls 
were lost in a move.
(intentional? or accidental? 
My mom claims to not recall, 
she is 83, so I guess
I'll never know. heehee)

These are my two current Crissys, 
Crissy and Shea.

These three were from an estate sale.

This is my Cricket and my Mia both 15" tall.
After I didn't find a Cricket at the estate
sale, I found this Cricket online!

This is my Madame Alexander Pussycat Doll,
Bonnie, she is from 1977. She is 19" tall.
I just love MA Baby dolls. 

I found Bonnie in a thrift store.

The 1980s 

Tomy Kimberly came out in the early 1980s.
This is my Kimberly given to me by 
a reader, Mary N.

Kimberly is a skating doll with real
Hang Ten skates.

In 1986 Pleasant Company released their first dolls. 
I found my Molly in a thrift store covered in dust!
My Molly is most likely from the late 80s.
This is Molly after her first wash and brush.
Her hair was wild!  The first Pleasant Company 
dolls had heavy thick bangs.

Eventually I re-wigged Molly with a newer 
Molly wig. I also touched up her lips and cheeks.
 It is a huge improvement.

The 1990s
I have ONE doll from the 90s.
This Patsy Joan was reproduced in 1994.
I found her in a thrift store wearing
this terrible 90s style dress.

I came upon this Patsy dress online and ordered it!

The set came with panties and a slip

It also had shoes, socks and a bonnet,

To match this adorable dress!

I do love this little dress set.

I love how poufy it all is!

For comparison, here is my 1940s Original Patsy 
Joan and the reproduction 1994 Patsy Joan.
The original is 17" tall, the repro is 16"tall.
BUT, 
My repro Patsy is responsible for beginning
 my interest in composition dolls!

The 2000s and Beyond....

Our earliest 2000s doll is Tiny Betsy from 2005.
Named Sophie, she is a 
reproduction of the 1950s Betsy.
At 8" tall she is also called Tiny Betsy.

This is my Sophie, (4 years) 
you can see why I chose
to name my Tiny Betsy Sophie!
(My Sophie is now 20!)

Here she is side by side with my 1950s
Betsy,  Melanie.

Christmas 2012, Grace was Sophie's (8 years)
 first AG doll. Grace really started 
this whole doll thing going.

Soon after Grace, came Emma.

Soon after that, I saved Molly from a thrift store...

Then on a trip to the American Girl Store
in Los Angeles, we added...

Julie.

AND then...

Martin, and most recently...

Kit Kitteridge.

Last of all is Willa, found in a thrift store.
She is also made by American Girl,
but just 14" tall.

Willa is a Wellie Wisher doll. 
There were just 5 versions of the Wellie Wishers.

Just a couple notes:

Look who is coming to live here!!!

Wellie Wisher Kendall

AND....

A 1965 Madame Alexander Pussycat doll!!
I am thinking of a name for her....
Any ideas?

12 comments:

Maryn said...

I always love reading about your doll finds and restoration work! Glad to see Kimberly is continuing to thrive in her new home!

Will try to come up with a few suggestions for your new MA Pussycat... Amira, Nyah, Zara, Mavis.

Brenda Savage said...

Hi Mary,
Thank you! I'm so glad you stopped by to say hello. I enjoy sharing how my dolls came to me and how I refeshed the ones who needed it.

Oh, I like some of those suggestions. I am still waiting for her to arrive. Sometimes their name comes when you see them in person, have you noticed that?
Hugs
Brenda

Anna said...

Hi Brenda,
Thanks for another wonderful Post. It's interesting travelling through time and seeing how dolls have changed. You have a wonderful collection.
I can't wait to see your new dolls when they arrive.
I have been looking for a friend for my Willa doll, but cannot decide who to choose.
I love the Madame Alexander baby dolls too. I cannot wait to see your new baby after a makeover from you.
I hope you have managed to find the thrift stores in your new area.
Anna

Anonymous said...

Brenda Thank You for sharing your dolls through the years of obtaining. Congratulations on a wonderful variety of dolls. A name How about? lorelei or Amelia
Marion

Brenda Savage said...

Hi Anna,
Thank you! One of my dolls arrived today! It is Kendall. She is so adorable! I love her outfit, which was a deciding factor for me. My Madame Alexander baby doll got sent to our previous address! Our kind neighbor is forwarding her here. I am anxious fro her to arrive!
I have visited several thrift stores and antique shops, but haven't found anything much. Sigh. I'll keep looking of course!
Hugs
Brenda

Brenda Savage said...

Hi Marion,
You are welcome. I'm glad you stopped in and enjoyed seeing my dolls. TO be honest I am improvising since I have no doll room for the time being!
I really like Lorelei as a possible name. I am making a list.
Hugs
Brenda

Jennifer said...

Always fun to read your posts! I would like to have Kit one day. I found Ruthie at the thrift store awhile back. I like the 30s. My parents were born in the mid 30s and imagine some of what Kit went through was similar to their days of growing up... depression and going into WWII. Tough times. Compared to Kit's movie, I know my parents had it a little harder, but they didn't know the difference because everyone else was pretty much in the same boat. I like to hear my mom talk about her and her sister's homemade rag dolls. Sure wish we had at least one. Thank you for another nice post!

Brenda Savage said...

Hi Jennifer,
Thank you! I like the 30s too. My grandma and my dad talked a lot about how people kept everything, because they didn't know if they would ever be able to get it from a store. My dad was a child on a farm in Iowa in the 30s. His mom would trade sacks of wheat with the miller so they'd both have flour to make bread. The kids learned to make their own toys, cause there was no money to buy anything. I love Kit, my bestie found her in a thrift store and bought her for me! I love finding dolls in thrift and antique shops!
Hugs
Brenda

Anonymous said...

I think that with that pout, Pussycat looks like a Beverly.

Susan in AZ

Brenda Savage said...

Hi Susan,
Thanks for the suggestion. She does have a definite pout! I have several ideas for a name. It just needs for me to see her and hold her. I really like the names so far, so hard to choose.
Hugs
Brenda

Anonymous said...

My favorite names are Kathleen and Lorraine. If you want are you are looking for an unusual name: Bronwyn Thank You for the lovely history of your dolls. The photos are beautiful
Marilyn

Brenda Savage said...

Hi Marilyn,
Thanks for the name suggestions. I enjoy sharing all I can about my dolls, as you are well aware! Hehe
Hugs
Brenda